Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Tooth extraction advice  (Read 2366 times)

Loganberry

Tooth extraction advice
« on: February 19, 2024, 07:20:02 AM »

Hi all, was hoping for a bit of advice regarding healing. I had a tooth extracted about 10 days ago. I’m still feeling quite sore and swollen. I’ve done everything by the book regarding soft food, salt rinses etc I can see, what I think, is granulation in part of the hole and a part where it looks as if it’s fallen out and is very red. I tried phoning dentist on Friday for advice on what to expect but they were no real help. Any advice or help is very appreciated.

DottyD68

Re: Tooth extraction advice
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 08:22:04 AM »

Try reading up on "Dry Socket". My husband had this after a tooth extraction and needed o go back to dentist. Not suggesting it is this but it's the first thing that came to mind reading your post. Either way I suggest you get back to dentist. Good luck x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:58:03 AM »

It can take a while to heal depending on the reason for the extraction.  Dry socket is excruciating apparently and no one seems to know what causes it.

In November I had extensive surgery in one area around an implant, the pain continued for 3 weeks and triggered the trigenimal nerve occasionally  :o.  What pain relief are you using?  If U can bear it, put bonjela around the outer socket area.  My face remained swollen for ages. 

Blot

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 05:09:15 PM »

Hi my husband had trouble after a tooth extraction. I think the clot fell out and he was in quite a lot of pain. We suspected dry socket but he managed to get in at the dentist who said it wasn’t and that he would be in agony if it was.
I think you need to go get it checked out just for peace of mind. It took ages for my husband’s to heal.

getting_old

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 06:22:24 PM »

I had dry socket after an extraction and it is absolutely excruciating. You would know if you had it!

If you do have it then you need to see the dentist, however one thing I found helped with pain was putting a small amount of aloe vera gel (food grade) on a Qtip and brushing it over the area.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 06:33:24 PM »

Also meths ......... ?? osmosis ?? oil of cloves too can also ease pains.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 11:10:16 PM »

I had a back tooth out last year, and it was sore for quite a few days after, and for quite a while after that before it began to feel a bit more normal.

After 10 days I don't think you should still be sore, I would get back into your dentist so they can check it out.

Loganberry

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 07:09:01 AM »

Many thanks for your replies. I’m hoping I’ve turned the corner and was too impatient with myself. The pain has eased off and definitely not excruciating. Will see how it goes today if not will phone the dentist again. Thanks again

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 10:10:37 AM »

That's good.  There are a lot of facial nerves involved with teeth as well as bruising . 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 05:50:22 PM »

I had a bruise on my face by my nose after my back tooth was extracted.
Mind you, the bloody thing didn't want to come out,  ;D so brute force was needed.
Looked like Mike Tyson had fallen out with me.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 07:24:39 PM »

Oh I had problems with a tooth that refused to give way, because the roots were curled round other teeth  >:(.  [long story short]. 3 surgeons had a 'go', it was discussed over my head with gob wide open whether I should be taken to Hospital  :o.  Eventually  ::)

How's the pain Loganberry?