Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pain in right breast with nodule and lump  (Read 5594 times)

Hawthorns

Pain in right breast with nodule and lump
« on: February 16, 2024, 01:10:23 PM »

Can anyone give some reassurance on a lump my doctor has just referred me to the breast clinic for? Appointment in 10 days.

I'm 49, on 4 pumps of estrogel per day and 2 utrogestan every night from Day 15-26. I have 36G breasts. I've breastfed all my children (5). There's no history of breast cancer in the family. I have PCOS and I've only ever had regular periods since I started HRT. I've been having pain in my right breast on and off for about 3/4 months and the nipple and skin is sometimes itchy. It feels 'bruised' and tender if my husband cuddles me, enough to make me jump.

The doctor says there's nodules in both breasts but in the right one, she can feel a lump inside the nodule. I said that I'd read that breast pain is hormonal and that cancerous lumps rarely had pain associated with them but she said that cancer can cause pain. She didn't say what size the lump was.

I've had a small lump at the bottom of the same breast (oval, slightly soft about 1cm x 2cm) on and off for years and it comes and goes. They weren't concerned at my last mammogram about 2.5 years ago.

I really couldn't say if the pain is cyclic or not. It seems a bit random to me but I'm now doubting myself because I thought it was just hormonal with it coming and going and didn't take much notice of the cycle dates. I finished a period about 3 days ago and the breast hurts more now. It feels tender quite a lot of the time but actually hurts in varying amounts. When the doctor was examining me, the left breast also hurt a bit.

I have a bit of sciatica down my right side with carpal tunnel and in right hand and shoulder and the ovary on the right side always hurts more too, so this side feels 'weak'.

I had my first mammogram about 2.5 years ago.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd be very grateful for some help especially as I lost a 34 year old friend from BC last October.

Thank you

Jules

Re: Pain in right breast with nodule and lump
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 11:56:12 PM »

I'm sorry you have this worry. I can't really help. I do get breast pain, usually right sided but on examination nothing has been found. I like you have always been led to believe that pain isn't usually a symptom of cancer but have also been told the opposite so always get checked if it's still painful after a week. Ive had breast cysts in the past and tenderness was always the first symptom to alert me. The best thing is to wait for your appointment. I know its natural to want answers and reassurance beforehand.  I've done the same. Usually there's a breast care nurse that is attached to the clinic and you can contact them with questions.  Is there anything on your letter?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 10:05:14 AM »

Breasts are a nuisance.  The side where I had surgery in the 1990s has been extra sore when touched in recent weeks. 

Many people have lumpy breasts as well as some have cyclical cysts.  If U R able to take a short notice appt at the Clinic if someone cancels then ring to let them know?   IN the mean time make a list of your cycle, your HRT regime and any worries.  Do take someone with you to listen as a 2nd ear.

Breast disease possibilities are a worry .   :bighug:

Blot

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 10:38:27 AM »

Hi. I’m sorry you are going through this but yes maybe you could ring the breast care nurses for some advice.

As CLKD mentioned, you could also try ringing for a cancellation to get seen a bit sooner. . You will know what day the clinic is on because you already have an appointment so if it’s a Tuesday, ring mid to late afternoon on the Monday or early on the Tuesday morning to see if anyone has cancelled.
It’s awful having the wait, I fully understand your worries.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 12:48:37 PM »

Or let the dept know that you are available for a cancellation so that they can let you know.  Good Luck!

Hawthorns

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 04:39:31 PM »

Thank you to you all for your kindness. There's no contact number for a nurse and the says that the only way to change the appointment is to go through the GP. At my GP practice, there's little chance of getting through for that and I don't want to risk that appointment by leaving it with the receptionist in case they think I want to cancel it.
Again, thank you so much.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 04:43:37 PM »

That's awful sometimes there's no joined up thinking!  If patients are able to offer themselves for short notice appts., it saves money in the long term.  Many simply fail to attend leaving a gap.

Let us know how you get on.

Hawthorns

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 05:19:19 PM »

That's awful sometimes there's no joined up thinking!  If patients are able to offer themselves for short notice appts., it saves money in the long term.  Many simply fail to attend leaving a gap.

Let us know how you get on.

Couldn't agree more!   :-*

Blot

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 05:31:41 PM »

Hi. Was it a choose and book appointment? I work in outpatients in a hospital and you can definitely ring up and change appointments without having to go through the GP.
Just ring the hospital and say you want to rearrange an appointment and they’ll put you through.
Or if you can’t be bothered with the stress just wait.
Hope you are ok x

Hawthorns

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 07:34:17 PM »

Hi. Was it a choose and book appointment? I work in outpatients in a hospital and you can definitely ring up and change appointments without having to go through the GP.
Just ring the hospital and say you want to rearrange an appointment and they’ll put you through.
Or if you can’t be bothered with the stress just wait.
Hope you are ok x

Thank you.

I don't want to wait. It felt much better today (only one dose of Estrogel and it hasn't been squashed by a seatbelt, which is painful), but then I gave it a good prod and a push and now it hurts more! That suggests a cyst, i think.

Anyway, the appointment system seems really silly so I'm going to give the main switchboard a call and ask to be put through. There must be a better way than having to go back to the GP. I don't want crossed lines. Thank you for the reassurance. It gave me a bit of confidence to call the hospital. x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 08:14:30 PM »

If U don't ask ...... let us know how you get on.

AND STOP PRODDING  :D

Hawthorns

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 08:22:22 PM »

If U don't ask ...... let us know how you get on.

AND STOP PRODDING  :D.
I will.
Boob pain lesson 1: Prodding might make it hurt (more). Be sensible. Don't prod.

;D

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 08:24:01 PM »

Logic flies out the window though .......... it's there, whatever.  I know it's yours, but leave well alone .........  ;)

Hawthorns

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 08:29:04 PM »

Logic flies out the window though .......... it's there, whatever.  I know it's yours, but leave well alone .........  ;)

Understood! How many times did our mums say 'Don't pick that scab. You'll make it bleed!' But we did....

Jules

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 11:54:21 PM »

I've had brrast exam this week at the doctors as I had breast pain and I was the opposite.  Daren't poke about at all, kept doing quick sweep over, think I was scared of feeling something that could be something if that makes sense. But as hard as it is, try to stop self diagnosing or second guessing and dont keep prodding. It's torture waiting but try to get an earlier one or find lots of distraction and it will be here before you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3