Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello, complicated problems and lots of questions, hope someone can help  (Read 2393 times)

Tumbleweed

Hello everybody,
I lost the document I'd carefully written to copy on to the forum to explain everything  ???

OK, so at 42, after no issues with periods or PMT my whole life, I suddenly developed what appeared to be atypical PMDD...crazy mood changes, anger and irritability, distorted thinking, anxiety, depression etc every month straight after ovulation and on and off until my next period which brought relief.  Then I was always OK until the next ovulation.
When I hit perimenopause ie periods started to become irregular and further apart at around the age of 49-50, these symptoms would happen at any time in my cycle randomly, not just after ovulation up until my period.
By early 2022 when I was 52 years old, I felt like a complete basket case, moods and emotions, thinking, anger, distorted negative thinking etc absolutely all over the map and that culminated in a three week period where the anxiety got so bad I couldn't leave the house.  My now retired GP put me on low dose Estraderm 1 1/4 25mcg patches (can't tolerate more) with nightly Utrogestan 100mg.  Not sure why she put me onto a continuous regime as I was still having a period every three or four months but I think she thought I wouldn't cope with the ups and downs of going on and coming off Progesterone every month. 
Since then no periods so not sure if they have stopped or not.
HRT helped somewhat but not completely with all above crazy mental symptoms but the Progesterone aggravates physical symptoms of an autoimmune condition I have had for many years and is causing me to feel very ill and achy all the time, seems to cause severe pain in legs, diarrhoea every morning and I just generally feel terrible all the time and as if had flu.  This happened many years ago also with the period delay pill (also Progesterone?) I used to take for holidays so I know the Prog is causing me these issues.
Questions are: Is it feasible to give up on nightly Utrogestan after 2 years on a continuous regime and go on a three monthly cycle taking Prog for two weeks only every three months instead?
If I did this, would the Oestrogen start causing jittery symptoms if taken alone as it would not be balanced by the so called calming effect of Progesterone? 
I tried to come off Prog 6 months ago with the intention of doing the three monthly regime but after 4 days off Prog, I was a basket case and so frightened by that that I reverted to the nightly Utrogestan.  Need to get off it though for my physical health and only on 1 1/4 patches 25mcg Estraderm.
How long does Progesterone withdrawal last?  Worst case scenario??  I would try again if withdrawal does not last too long as I felt physically much better those few days off.  One other problem, those few days off Prog, I couldn't sleep at all - does that correct itself once through the withdrawal?
Thanks x

ETA any shifts/fluctuations in hormones during cycle both before and since going on HRT I seem to be really very sensitive to these changes which cause severe mental disruption so therefore I'm nervous of changing the continuous regime even though the Progesterone is badly affecting my physical health.  I'm scared Progesterone withdrawal will be long lasting and hideous and also worried that without Prog, I may not tolerate Estrogen on its own which when tried briefly low dose on its own about 8 years ago (finally went on HRT properly 2 years ago) seemed to make me anxious, sweaty and sleepless after three weeks. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 04:53:33 PM by Tumbleweed »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello, complicated problems and lots of questions, hope someone can help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 04:14:27 PM »

Hello everybody,
I lost the document I'd carefully written to copy on to the forum to explain everything  ???

:welcomemm:  Usually pre-menstrual symptoms occur in the 10-14 days B4 a period and the moment a bleed begins those symptoms should stop.  The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS] advised me to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.  Which helps anxiety surges and lessens any anger.  Dr Dalton did a lot of Research and represented women in Court.  If your hormones were beginning to go into peri, U may have had upheavals which may well be quite unpleasant!

OK, so at 42, after no issues with periods or PMT my whole life, I suddenly developed what appeared to be atypical PMDD...crazy mood changes, anger and irritability, distorted thinking, anxiety, depression etc every month straight after ovulation and on and off until my next period which brought relief.  Then I was always OK until the next ovulation.
When I hit perimenopause ie periods started to become irregular and further apart at around the age of 49-50, these symptoms would happen at any time in my cycle randomly, not just after ovulation up until my period.

HRT helped somewhat but not completely with all above crazy mental symptoms but the Progesterone aggravates physical symptoms of an autoimmune condition

many can't cope with the progesterone part of the regime, a few find that they feel better!  10 mins B4 a bleed I would have to dash to the loo  :o even if a period wasn't due.  I remember the aching legs really well, also the feeling that my bottom would fall out - all leading up to a period.  When I was prescribed Tamoxifen following breast surgery which is an oestrogen suppressant, I felt like I had 'flu.  I was unable to tolerate it.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 04:21:18 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 04:21:03 PM »

I am aware that some to use a long-cycle of progesterone along with regular scans to check the density of the womb lining.  MayB pop the names of the products into the search box [individually] and read any associated threads. Make notes ;-)

If I did this, would the Oestrogen start causing jittery symptoms if taken alone as it would not be balanced by the so called calming effect of Progesterone? 
I tried to come off Prog 6 months ago with the intention of doing the three monthly regime but after 4 days off Prog, I was a basket case and so frightened by that that I reverted to the nightly Utrogestan. 

Need to get off it though for my physical health and only on 1 1/4 patches 25mcg Estraderm.

How long does Progesterone withdrawal last?  Worst case scenario??  I would try again if withdrawal does not last too long as I felt physically much better those few days off.  One other problem, those few days off Prog, I couldn't sleep at all - does that correct itself once through the withdrawal?
Thanks x

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 12:20:24 AM »

Is this a very quiet forum or is it just that no-one can relate to the problems I have?

I thought there would be more support here or/and others who have the same or similar issues as me?

Thank you to the one person that did bother to reply.

Minusminnie

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 07:22:20 AM »

Perhaps it is worth bearing in mind that it was half term last week earlier than usual which many members may be have been caught up with.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 10:18:33 AM »

U can always put the product names into the search box: individually : and read any threads that pop up.  Make notes ;-).

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 10:39:14 AM »

Hi Tumbleweed. I'm sorry that you feel unsupported and it is usually a busy forum. Sometimes it helps to be really specific in your topic heading as there can be many posts each day.  Welcome from me anyway!

I can't really answer your questions but wonder if you have tried a different progesterone? Utrogestan does give some people digestive upsets - it did me as I have a sensitivity to soya - so this might be what's causing your diarrhoea. I can see how difficult it is to consider changing though. I've never used the three month cycle - I'm just on Evorel 50 now due to having had a hysterectomy - but there are members on here who have and I believe that you do need regular scans to check the lining if you do go down this route. As CLKD has said if you use the search facility then you can bring up previous posts. There are posts from members who are progesterone intolerant. If you start another thread with "progesterone intolerant" in the title then you may get more replies. This thread speaks about progesterone intolerance https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63978.msg885996.html#msg885996  I haven't read it all but I hope it's useful. I'm just about to go out for my first NHS physio appointment eighteen weeks after I developed the injury and was referred!  ::) Will try to catch up with this thread later.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 11:00:16 AM »

A 3 month cycle isn't considered safe as the lining can build up too much which is an increased cancer risk. I use a long cycle but it's 6 weeks ( and I had a natural 6 week cycle). That's why if you do consider a 3 month cycle you should arrange your own scan to make sure it's OK. Withdrawal from utro is usually a few days, it isn't a problem I have so this is from info from posts on this site. I agree with Taz2 that trying a different progestin would be a good option.
 For most people it's the oestrogen we need, progesterone is something we have to put up with to get oestrogen. When you're menstruating the balance is continually changing.
 Might be worth looking up symptoms of both high and low oestrogen (they can be very similar) so you know which way to adjust.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 06:20:48 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I really appreciate it.

I will post on a separate thread re finding a good menopause doctor which I think I need to help me figure out the best way forward regarding maybe a different type of Progestin.  I do feel terrible on Utrogestan and also don't think continuous suits me so need advice on that also.

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 08:56:07 PM »

Hi have you looked at the possibility of using Tridestra? This is a long cycle hrt.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 09:05:07 PM »

U don't need a separate thread: you can alter the subject line ........

Some Hospitals run dedicated menopause clinics, it may be worthwhile ringing round your local Health Groups to find out.  Do be aware that not all gynaecologists are au fait with peri-menopause! even if they state that they are 'interesting in women's health'.   ::)

Let us know how you get on.  Make a list of your symptoms and decide which you would like to ease first.