Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello and Ovestin!  (Read 1986 times)

Blossom

• First Flush
Hello and Ovestin!
« on: February 13, 2024, 07:29:22 PM »

Hello  :)
I'm new to forums, but came across this one and have found it really reassuring.  I'm 61...I keep saying that I'm post-menopausal but my husband begs to differ.   ;D
I have had mild, controlled vaginal atrophy for a few years, but recently its got worse.  I also have something called Interstitial Cystitis (for which I have monthly bladder treatment) and had a total hysterectomy for endometrial cancer 10 years ago.
Over the last 6 months I've had an increase in UTIs, especially after being catheterised for bladder treatment...although I'm now thinking this might have something to do with the atrophy?
Also, after being told for the last 10 years that I cant have any form of HRT (because the cancer was oestrogen led), a random male consultant who I've only met once has said that it's ok to use Ovestin.
So, I feel quite anxious about using Ovestin and wanted to ask anyone who has used/is using it:
* what does it feel like when you insert it...does it burn or anything?
* has anyone had any side effects from it?  The consultant says very little of it gets in the bloodstream, but I'm still afraid that it might make me feel weird or dizzy or something?
* I'm so dry that I'm not sure how to insert the huge applicator without using a ton of Yes OB or Yes VM...which I'm afraid will act as a barrier and prevent the Ovestin from working.
It feels so weird to be so vulnerable with people I dont know, but I really need your input.
Thank you so much. 💚

SarahT

Re: Hello and Ovestin!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 07:59:33 PM »

Hello Blossom and a big welcome to you

Whilst I ( thankfully ) don't suffer much from UTIs and am still perimenopause, I may be able to reassure you about using Ovestin. I have been using it for several years now ( am age 57 ). My gp told me the amount of oestrogen we use in a whole year is only equal to one single hrt patch, so a tiny amount. But for me, and many others, it is so effective.

I  use  some YES gel on the outer plastic applicator that gets inserted into the vagina to make it comfier. I get no burning issues whatsoever inside. For me, it certainly calms things down and helps greatly with dryness. However, I use YES or organic coconut oil on my outer lips as they still remain dry. I found Ovestin does burn me outside, weird, as I feel nothing detrimental inside from using it.

I tend to use it after sex rather than before full sex.

Using YES on the applicator does not affect the absorption of the Ovestin, just helps for an easier insertion. Personally, with my gps ok, I use Ovestin each and every night. It may take a little while to feel bit working for you.

If you have browsed around this forum you will see so many different topics covered, from what's on tv to quite intimate details. In some way 'speaking'
with strangers may actually be a bit easier. This is a safe forum to ask whatever you want. Don't feel alone. I am sure whatever questions, or worries you have, there will be someone along who has or is experiencing the same.

Take care

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 08:02:10 PM »

Hi join The VA Club  ::)

A loss of oestrogen is usually the reason why the body might be come: inside and out, including the vulva and vagina.  Quality of Life is important as this condition has ruined lives.  The VA treatment is a very tiny amoutn of active ingredient the idea being to insert nightly for 2-3 weeks then learn to manage the condition.  Some require nightly use for many years, others can 'do' with every 3rd and 5/6th. nights to keep the area lubricated = being less sore.

If the area is dry and sore then use a little ingredient on the finger and insert gently, more and more as the area softens.

Occaionsally initial usage may cause a little bleeding if the vagina is very dry and some have reported headaches with 'vagifem' which goes away.  There are some consultants that think ladies should use HRT under close supervision. 

My cancer was supposedly oestrogen dominate but I've used 'ovestin' for VA several years without any recurrence issues.  If the risks are so great, why aren't women advised bilateral mastectomy ..........

It mayB that due to dryness that the catheter is causing the issues. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 08:03:44 PM »

Also: peri-menopause, the years leading up to our last bleed = menopause.  Though Mother Nature may throw in a curved ball and we get a period when we've been 11-12 months without  ::) so we have to begin all over from month 1!

We are advised to go 12-14 months without a period B4 considering that we are into menopause = the last bleed.

Blossom

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 11:09:48 PM »

Apologies for the late reply...its been a bit of a week.  Thank you both so much...I feel reassured after both of your replies.  Suddenly being told I can use Ovestin, after 10 years of being told I couldn't, has left me feeling hesitant and, if I'm honest,  a little scared to use it.  But I feel greatly reassured to know how little is involved...one patch a year!  :)  Also knowing it's ok to put some lube on the applicator helps.
Literally not one medical person told me that VA can exacerbate UTIs...I had to learn that here and from the internet!
When you insert the cream (with the applicator), does some of it flow out or is it necessary to put a little extra around the vulva and urethra?
Sorry for all of the questions...it's all such a mine field when using something for the first time!
And thank you again for your help...it is hugely appreciated. 💚