Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is this vertigo?  (Read 5607 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this vertigo?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2024, 04:14:56 PM »

I think that vertigo 'hits' almost immediately a virus attacks the inner ear.  We can't go on blaming everything on Covid other than it is an evolving virus.

My ears ring all the time, I'm surprised sometimes that DH can't hear them  :-\  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 07:01:21 PM »

Did it make you very dizzy doing it Dierdre?

Dierdre

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2024, 10:51:13 PM »

No not at all. Just sat up and turned head right, laid down with my head hanging off the back of the pillow a bit for 30 seconds then turned left for 30 sec then completely round into the pillow for 30 secs then sat up. Did it again to make sure I'd done it right.

jaypo

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 08:19:14 AM »

You see if I did that,the room would spin like crazy but I know it does help,my Dr had only good things to say about it,I'd just end up a crumpled heap on the floor  ;D

Dierdre

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 10:56:11 AM »

It spun when facing right but stopped when facing left, so rights the bad side and the crystals need to move back to the left.  Start left side if thats bad.  Does it help if you close your eyes while doing it?
You could try doing it when not having an attack, it might still move them back.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:57:53 AM by Dierdre »

Dierdre

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 11:05:38 AM »

I think that vertigo 'hits' almost immediately a virus attacks the inner ear.  We can't go on blaming everything on Covid other than it is an evolving virus.

My ears ring all the time, I'm surprised sometimes that DH can't hear them  :-\  ::)

I've had lots of ear infections before in my life including inner ear but never had vertigo with them before. I've got tinitus too, covid left me with that the first time I had it, but it wasn't very noticeable anymore and I'd got used to it. I'm hoping it settles back down again.
I'll need to add vertigo to my list of new ailments in my old age  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2024, 02:25:38 PM »

If it happens again,do try stugeron (make sure you can have them first) and take 2 tabs 3 times daily,that's the dose for vertigo,they really help,just after a day

Dierdre

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2024, 11:24:09 PM »

Thanks, I'll remember if it happens again.

Dierdre

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2024, 11:46:13 AM »

Well it's been a week and no more vertigo but still suffering with worsened tinnitis. Also my right jaw, outer ear and side of face (temple area) feel  achy. Inner ear still feels like there's fluid in there but not painful and no temperature. Back of my neck has been really stiff and creaking when I move since we've had all this rain, think that's old age though. Still taking ibuprofen which helps. Wondering if my teeth clencing and grinding at night is to blame. Going to my reflexologist tomorrow as doctors don't deal with earache etc you have to go to the chemist.
We have a surgery website now with Health A-Z, you type in your ailments and it gives intructions who you need to see, if anyone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2024, 12:45:16 PM »

That's quite useful Dierdre, if 1 don't get fobbed off  ::)

My Paternal Grandad could 4cast rain 3-4 days B4 it arrived due to pains in his bones.

Dierdre

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2024, 10:28:36 PM »

I'm getting to know when it's going to rain now with the aching neck.
Went to the chemist with my earache this afternoon as instructed by the surgery website and was told because of my age I'd have to go to the doctor. No mention of age on the website so yes, fobbed off and now instead of me making an appointment today I've got to wait until Monday!

Minusminnie

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2024, 08:10:48 AM »

Hoping for you that someone at the docs doesn’t then say you should be going to the chemists.

I ready myself for anything like that nowadays when it seems little can just be straightforward.

Hope also that you will feel better soon.

Dierdre

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2024, 11:01:39 AM »

Been to my reflexologist this morning and she did her magic, feeling better already, not so anxious which has helped my tinnitus.

If I have to go to the doctors now will be pointing out age should be a factor on their ear information. Hopefully wont be going now.

jaypo

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2024, 11:10:08 AM »

Good news Dierdre,long May it continue  :)

Ana21

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2024, 06:48:18 PM »

Hi Dierdre!

I know that feeling.  I suffer from episodes of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

"BPPV occurs when tiny calcium crystals called otoconia come loose from their normal location on the utricle, a sensory organ in the inner ear.

If the crystals become detached, they can flow freely in the fluid-filled spaces of the inner ear, including the semicircular canals (SCC) that sense the rotation of the head. Otoconia will occasionally drift into one of the SCCs, usually the posterior SCC given its orientation relative to gravity at the lowest part of the inner ear.

The otoconia will not cause a problem when located in an SCC until the person’s head changes position, such as when looking up or down, going from lying to seated or lying to seated in bed, or when rolling over in bed. The otoconia move to the lowest part of the canal, which causes the fluid to flow within the SCC, stimulating the balance (eighth cranial) nerve and causing vertigo and jumping eyes (nystagmus)."

If the Epley maneuver relieves your symptoms, this could be the cause of your vertigo.

An alternative to the Epley maneuver is the Foster Half Somersault.

Foster Half Somersault Video
https://youtu.be/mQR6b7CAiqk?si=vvkqlzstjHwU91GW

Foster Half Somersault PDF
https://dizziness-and-balance.com/BPPV/Foster.pdf

Other exercises for vertigo relief:
https://www.healthline.com/health/exercises-for-vertigo

I had my first episode of BPPV in peri.  Estrogen deficiency can cause deficits in otoconia maintenance.  Every episode has been been triggered by turning my head while getting out of bed.  It's a terrible way to start the day.  An episode of BPPV was a clue that I wasn't absorbing transdermal estrogen.  So far, I've not had an episode while on oral estrogen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3