Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Viruses are not like they used to be  (Read 8755 times)

Ayesha

Re: Viruses are not like they used to be
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2024, 01:23:51 PM »

For over forty years I have been told my cholesterol and my blood pressure is high, anxiety I tell them all the time and I can't take statins, I don't need diet advice, I am way ahead of the game in that respect, I am such a goody two shoes!

I was at the dentist last week and had an extraction that went wrong, totally freaked me out, my blood pressure must have gone through the roof. I laid there in agony waiting for the heart attack the medics say I am going to have if I don't get my cholesterol and blood pressure down.
I can honestly say that I don't like this interference in my life, I am qualified enough to know what is a good lifestyle and what is not. I will be 75 this year with a house move due in early February and all the stress that's causing, I will update you all if I make it, If not you will know she must have popped her clogs  ;D

Jules

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2024, 02:06:48 PM »

I have had blood tests in the last 6 months, I had cholestrol checked before Christmas.  There's so much money wasted in the nhs, repeating things, not cross referencing etc. Also I was asked if my diet was poor, average or good. I've worked with so many people who would say they had a good diet because they've no understanding of nutrition. It's all dependent on the ability if the patient to give accurate answers. Many will exaggerate about exercise, alcohol intake.

ariadne

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2024, 08:16:10 PM »

I guess there wasn't anything to comment on. She asked a series of tick box questions, diet i already know is good, smoking alcohol I don't do, the rest was the usual family history. I know my weight is fine, she told me my BP, I know the normal range and could have done that at home, I had blood test, she couldn't comment on that so I'll have to wait for results. She told me normal cholesterol has now to be below 4 which is wrong. The blood results will be the most helpful.

I asked about having another NHS checkup recently as it's a few years since my last. The receptionist looked up my records and told me I wasn't eligible because we are only allowed one and my last one was fine! I said, "Oh so if in a few years I develop an illness that could have been prevented by further checkups, then the Dr will say..:well you were alright 5 years ago'

Taz2

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2024, 08:33:39 PM »

The NHS health checks are for ages 40 to 74 and since being restarted in 2023 you are offered one every five years. Some doctors practices are not offering them apparently but you can find out how you can get one here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/

Taz x

ariadne

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2024, 08:45:15 PM »

The NHS health checks are for ages 40 to 74 and since being restarted in 2023 you are offered one every five years. Some doctors practices are not offering them apparently but you can find out how you can get one here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/

Taz x

Thanks Taz. I don't remember the exact date of my last one but the receptionist wasn't helpful in explaining when I might be eligible for another, rather she seemed to be saying I'd had my turn and that was it.

Taz2

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2024, 12:13:10 AM »

I'm 69 so I guess that might be my one and only one too!  ;D

Jules

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2024, 04:36:50 PM »

Taz x

That's what I mean. They will catch some issues at the time, give advice but anything could happen in 5 years and I've just spoken to a lady who didn't take up hers because she didn't want to know 8f something was wrong! It's those people they need to check, peoplewho carry on with their head in the sand living unhealthily. I'm health conscious so will flag up anything promptly.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2024, 05:51:52 PM »

Certain checks we have to ask for, i.e. mammograms after I think 70?  Now whether that's 70 in real terms or how people feel when they wake each morning .......... at least I no longer feel 90  :whist:

Some simply don't want to know Jules, it isn't up to any1 else to judge the why's or where4s. 

Jules

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2024, 11:10:46 AM »

CLKD, i agree if other peoples lifestyles and decisions don't affect me.  I don't care what they do, but people who don't take sensible steps to keep themselves healthy do affect me. I'm paying for the consequences in monetary terms and through NHS waiting lists. A bit of individual responsibility in the UK wouldn't go amiss at present, otherwise we'll never get out of the mire.

Ayesha

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2024, 11:35:23 AM »

Its a human nature thing worldwide. The people put on statins that give them the excuse to carry on with their unhealthy lifestyle, I've met a lot of them.
The women who never turn up for their health screenings, I would walk into the various clinics over the years and have often said where is everyone, to be told oh people don't bother to turn up!

I've always been health conscious and will flag up anything that feels not right with my body and as I am now 74 I have been told I can ask for screening if I want to, my choice. But yes, people really should take more responsibility over their health and not have to be told to do so.

Dierdre

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2024, 11:58:03 AM »

Why I'll never have preventive tests again.

I had the wellbeing check at the beginning of last year that lead to an awful lot of stress and anxiety and more time on the NHS. Initially my cholesterol was slightly high and straight away the doctor said statins(telephoned from the nurse). I had health anxiety so this wasn't good. I refused the statins and started dieting and taking Benocol drinks, lost nearly 2 stone in 3 months and cholesterol dropped to below the at risk level. The Benocol had an effect on my absorbing estrogens, apparently the plant stenols can connect to the receptors actually blocking the real stuff (different thread, others had this happen too). Stress had lowered my immune system also so bladder, atrophy flareups and thrush for the next 6 months, referred for ultrasound on bladder and kidneys. Bladder was now ok, it was the thrush causing the spasms and cramps but the scan picked up kidney stones.
Was referred to Urologist, had appointment September.
My anxiety was so bad now I've had CBT all summer. My travel insurance had tripled because of the stones and I was constantly worried when on holiday in case the stones caused an emegency trip to the hospitals abroad.
December 2023, a year after the blood tests and ultrasound scan I had a CT scan, results from Urologist by phone in January 2024. No stones!! I'd had no symptoms at all.
The Urologist explained ultrasound doesn't always get it right with kidney stones which is why she ordered the CT scan. Obviously an immense relief for me but a year of anxiety that I could have done without all because of the knock on effect from a cholesterol test.

If I'm ill or notice anything I will go to the doctor.

I've probably cost the NHS hundreds of pounds this year if not more in tests, scans and therapy, money and appointments that could have gone to someone really ill.

If I had a stone they were just going to monitor and only intervene if it caused a problem. Many live with stones all their life and never know.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:07:14 PM by Dierdre »

Ayesha

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2024, 12:19:50 PM »

I absolutely echo everything you have said, Dierdre. I can think back and can say all my health problems have been caused due to screening programmes. I wont go into too much detail but even right up to last summer when it was ruined by me hoping the statins would work but instead was destroying my muscles in the process and years ago at the hospital with a doctor saying I have never seen such a healthy cervix with me thinking what the f##k am I doing here!!

Screening can have its consequences as well as being helpful to some, but not all!

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2024, 12:29:27 PM »

We have been on statins for about 5 years and have no muscle problems  :-\

My breast disease was found on palpation in the bath and never showed on mammogram or ultrasound.

Dierdre

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2024, 01:04:20 PM »

My sister found her breast cancer herself and she had never missed a mammogram. It hadn't shown up on the last one. I think most breast cancers are found this way, which is why even though you have the mammogram dont stop examining yourselves.

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2024, 01:28:09 PM »

I agree.  Also ultrasound may be better than a mammogram.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6