Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Menopause Brought On By Radiation Treatments  (Read 2260 times)

Lexithebird

• First Flush
Menopause Brought On By Radiation Treatments
« on: January 09, 2024, 11:03:15 AM »

Hi, my name is Trish and I am 53 yrs old.  When I was 37 I was diagnosed with cervical cancer.  My brain did not process it at first and actually not for several months.  I just did what the doctor told me and went through each day like a zombie.
Anyway, I had a radical hysterectomy (the doctor left my ovaries in hopes that I wouldn't go into a medical menopause) and after I recovered I spent a month taking chemotherapy and radiation treatments.  I wasn't supposed to have to take treatments, but when the doctor removed the tumor he found out that it much more aggressive than it should have been.  So I think it was a few weeks after the last treatment and I was sitting on the couch when I suddenly started feeling awful.  I can't even describe it but I felt like I was seriously ill.  I called my oncologist and when he got back to me he said that it sounded like menopause had started from the radiation shutting my ovaries down.  The hot flashes were awful and I would just feel awful all over.  It was miserable and my doctor didn't want to give me hormone therapy because I was too young.  So I just suffered through it until it finally started becoming less and less.  I still have hot flashes, but they're not nearly as bad.
Another thing that happened that had a lasting effect was vaginal atrophy.  (Google it - I don't know how to describe it with tact here) It didn't happen all at once - it happened over time and now not only am I in a forced celibacy due to the pain, but it's almost impossible for me to be able to have a vaginal exam without excruciating pain.  I'm really interested to know if any of you out there have had a similar experience.  How have you handled your menopause?  Does anyone else out there have vaginal atrophy?  Also, if anyone has questions for me, I'm happy to answer them.  God Bless!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause Brought On By Radiation Treatments
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 11:43:31 AM »

Yep.  Vaginal atrophy is due to a loss of oestrogen.  Ring your GP this morning and ask for appropriate treatment, U don't need blood tests nor an examination.

"vagifem" or "ovestin" are what are usually recommended, the idea being to insert into the vagina as far as is comfy every night for 2-3 weeks, longer if requried.  Some find that a dilator will ease the 'stuck together' situation, as vaginal lips can fuse if they become too dry.

Pity that your medical team didn't know enough to guide you through the processes of menopause.   :welcomemm:  browser round, nothing it OTT here!

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 11:44:50 AM »

It doesn't seem as though the surgeon and oncologist were talking to each other about the after effects of various surgical interventions.  When I had treatments my 'team' discussed all aspects with me and my husband - Surgeon and oncologist.  So we were all on the same page!

How do U feel otherwise?

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 04:00:45 PM »

Welcome Trish.
Have we heard of Vaginal Atrophy on this forum is like asking is the Pope Catholic, oh yes we know all about it on here!

Don't waste time suffering any longer and start on VA treatment as soon as you can, all topical and all safe. It does take a while to work, sometimes weeks but can be months to feel improvement.

Best advice would be to put vaginal atrophy in the search box and read away!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 04:02:54 PM »

A Member of the Forum wrote a book: "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" : Worth buying off Amazon, read and hand around ;-).

Let us know who you get on.

fiftyplus

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 05:43:02 PM »

Hello & Welcome Trish  :welcomemm: You have come to the right place - a lot of us on here now know about vaginal atrophy (myself included) it is the best kept secret -nobody talks about it except on here - we are a great support for each other.  I am a relatively newbie too and similar in age to yourself at 55.  I have just started using ovestin cream in the last couple of months and it has helped a little so far.  Other ladies on here prefer and take vagifem and some use both.  Have a browse around and if you type in vaginal atrophy in the search bar on the top right you will see previous posts on it.  Ask away ... lots of knowledgeable ladies on here that will give you far better help & advice than any gp ever could! x