Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 757 times)

CarryB75

• First Flush
Depression
« on: January 07, 2024, 12:25:33 AM »

Hi everyone, sorry it’s not a nice subject but I’m desperate, hope someone can help!

Thankfully I’m already on HRT for peri menopausal symptoms - 3 pumps Oestrogel and Utrogestan (vaginally of licence) I’m 46…

My main issue is awful, soul destroying depression (Antidepressants have worked well for me in the past with temporary bouts of depression BEFORE I hit peri menopause)

But since I hit peri, antidepressants don’t seem to work for me anymore 🥺 I’ve tried antidepressants alone, no relief, I’ve tried antidepressants with HRT, no relief.

BUT then I tried HRT alone and was amazed that I actually felt happiness for the first time in at least a year! All was going well, my mood was good, I actually enjoyed Xmas (had a not very social one as I’m immune compromised and have to be careful) then ironically I got either the dreaded Covid or Flu (and I ended up on antibiotics) then 4 days into the illness, bam…it was like the light switch went off, my depression is back.

It’s been 10 days now of feeling like this again and it’s terrifying, obviously I will contact my GP but I know there’s a lot of wonderful knowledge on here! Anyone else experienced a ‘glitch’ in HRT following illness….I know Covid plays havoc with hormones so I’m terrified I’m not going to feel happiness again.

Sorry it’s not a pleasant subject but I do wish everyone a happy new year X ❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 08:49:42 AM »

Depression is awful.  And terryfying.

Any virus can cause a mood dip as the body fights it, taking the energy into healing.  If 1 doesn't eat then the brain isn't supported emotionally which can cause a sudden dip.

Were you diagnosed with Covid?  Have U any test kits?  Why were you given ABs? 

Make that appt with your GP/Nurse Practitioner ........ let us know how you get on!

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 08:55:46 AM »

I also wonder whether this is related to you having being ill rather than a glitch in hrt. Plus if it was covid, it is known olto cause issues with hormomes etc. I'm not sure you should be rushing to change things just yet, perhaps give it a little more time and have a chat with your GP.

CarryB75

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 11:35:13 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies Penguin and CLKD! Means a lot ☺️

I only managed to get hold of Covid test when it was way too late for it to be accurate unfortunately (neg)

I’m actually terrified of that awful virus anyway as I know of the long term damage it can do, so I’m praying I had the flu instead, it felt flu like, to be honest I’m late with my flu vaccine and didn’t cough once the entire illness (I know it’s wishful thinking!)

(I have ‘rescue meds’ of antibiotics that I have to take because ‘run of the mill’ illnesses can sometimes turn into bacterial infection for me)

I’m praying my mood will lift again very soon! It’s so so scary. And thank you once again X ☺️

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 12:17:24 PM »

Hi Carry. Just want to say I had Covid for the third time last month and I had no cough or cold symptoms this time. I had aching joints and chills but no fever. Nausea and upset stomach plus fatigue were the main symptoms. What were your antibiotics for?  I also think that any viral illness can leave you feeling depressed and tired for quite a while so go easy on yourself and give your immune system time to recover if possible.

Re covid testing the highest viral load is now thought to be on day 5 or 6 of the start of symptoms as it takes this long for the virus to replicate enough to be detectable.

Taz x  :hug:

laszla

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 12:35:05 PM »

Carry I would highly recommend recolonizing your gut bacteria (microbiome) if you have taken a course of antibiotics which wipe out the good bacteria too.
The majority of serotonin (the body's feel good, anti depressant neurotransmitter) is expressed in the gut so it is not uncommon to feel anxious or depressed after taking antibiotics. You can take probiotic supplements (there are specific ones to take when on a course of antibiotics) but I find eating fermented foods and prebiotics more effective.

Minicat

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:26:13 PM »

Hey, sorry you're going through this right now. Perimenopause is already challenging, and the added depression is no joke. I went through something similar after getting sick. My therapist suggested trying CBD to help with my mood, and it's made a big difference. I use it with a vape I got at utopian vape shop, and it's helped me feel more balanced and less down. It may not work for everyone, but it's worth asking your doctor about it. Take care, and don't give up hope!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 12:55:16 PM by Minicat »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 07:55:39 AM »

Any improvement CarryB75?  Is it cyclical?

Minicat - when I had therapy with a psychologist CBD wasn't on the market.  How long have you used this and did you notice a difference quickly?

Nas

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 10:09:34 AM »

Hey, sorry you're going through this right now. Perimenopause is already challenging, and the added depression is no joke. I went through something similar after getting sick. My therapist suggested trying CBD to help with my mood, and it's made a big difference.

Which CBD do you use please Minicat?