Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Troubles with oestrogen  (Read 1162 times)

katyh75

Troubles with oestrogen
« on: December 18, 2023, 10:26:45 PM »

Hi all

Does anyone else have issues tolerating oestrogen?

Every time I try it, I feel good for a week to ten days but then fall into a horrible depression. This is the case even before I start the progesterone phase.

It is maddening because for everyone else it seems to be the happy hormone but not for me. I know I am hormone-sensitive. Last time I persisted for a month but it did not ease.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Troubles with oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 10:52:40 PM »

Hi!  What makes U believe that you require extra oestrogen?  How R your periods behaving? 

How were the moods during your menstruating years?  Mine were cyclic: the night B4 a bleed began I would sob for hours, even if a period wasn't due.  I would also need to 'run' for the loo 10 mins. B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due.  That was 'normal' for me. 

I would get intensely hungry in the 10-14 days B4 a period showed, with excessive nausea. 'normal'.

Which symptom do you want to ease first? 

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 08:27:28 AM »

Maybe you need the low dose progesterone combined from the start?

I believe that progesterone falls away naturally before oestrogen does, just from comments on this forum, so maybe it's an imbalance that needs progesterone more than oestrogen.

I also read the body turns a lot of the oestrogen into progesterone anyway, so maybe it's what your body is doing with the oestrogen a few days into treatment that is affecting you?

Then different brands of oestrogen have different effects. For me patches made my boobs sore and that was about all they did, oestrogel works to stop night sweats and flushes unless I miss a dose, then they are back immediately which makes me think my body is clearing out that oestrogen fast.

I'm switching to tibolone currently because it doesn't have side effects at all for me, unless you count feeling stronger and more confident as a side effect!

I'd love to know the answers, it's a fascinating topic that I wish researchers found interesting.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »

Maybe tell us what makes you've tried and at what dose?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 11:06:03 AM »

How R your VitD and thyroid function levels which can cause tiredness? 

katyh75

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 10:43:50 PM »

All vit levels plus thyroid are fine.

I've tried various combinations over the last four years, culminating in chemical menopause which I am now in

I've had cyclical oestrogen (gel) and Utrogestan; continuous combined treatment; progesterone only regime; Tibolone and Sstradot patches and Utrogestan both orally and vaginally at varying doses.

It's always ten days into the oestrogen that I either have extreme anxiety or suicidal depression which doesn't go away

AngelaH

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 11:26:50 PM »

I can’t take estrogen too, unfortunately I don’t have an answer.

katyh75

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 04:20:18 PM »

I'm so frustrated by my body's reaction to it!

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 03:41:59 PM »

katyh75 I have pm'd you x

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 01:33:33 AM »

Would 10 days into the oestrogen be where the body is trying to ovulate?

Would it be that or would it be that the oestrogen reaches too high a level by then? 

I'm having a lot of headaches around that time but thankfully towards the end of the last estradiol patch it lifts and then everything is easy on the combined patches until the last one of those when I feel like I'm developing mild prolapse symptoms and exhaustion.  Then back to estradiol again.  It is literally a vicious cycle.

inthewoods4

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 03:56:05 PM »

Hi all

Does anyone else have issues tolerating oestrogen?

Every time I try it, I feel good for a week to ten days but then fall into a horrible depression. This is the case even before I start the progesterone phase.

It is maddening because for everyone else it seems to be the happy hormone but not for me. I know I am hormone-sensitive. Last time I persisted for a month but it did not ease.

Hi Kath, I know this is an old post but I'm hoping you might see it. I think I may have the same problem - did you just stop taking oestrogen and was it ok to stop cold Turkey? Thank you

CrispyChick

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2024, 03:58:47 PM »

Hey in the woods.

Are you also in chemical menopause?

inthewoods4

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 04:48:34 PM »

Hi, no, and I'm not sure I'm even peri... I begged my GP for HRT after having a breakdown and was desperate for answers/a reason. I'm also taking citalopram. But I'm finding that a few days after stopping the progesterone patch my mood plummets - I can't get out of bed it's so bad. I wonder if my body is already making enough estrogen and adding to it is making me depressed? 

CrispyChick

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 05:33:23 PM »

Ah.

I'm in peri at nearly 48. But I've had awful symptoms for the last 6 years - bit I definitely do not need E as yet.

No symptoms of low E. Just tons of other awful symptoms of imbalance/fluctuations whatever it may be.

Yes. I suspect you do not need extra E at the moment. X

inthewoods4

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 06:32:30 PM »

Ah.

I'm in peri at nearly 48. But I've had awful symptoms for the last 6 years - bit I definitely do not need E as yet.

No symptoms of low E. Just tons of other awful symptoms of imbalance/fluctuations whatever it may be.

Yes. I suspect you do not need extra E at the moment. X

Thank you.Do you have any idea how long it will take for the E to clear my system? x
Pages: [1] 2