Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iron  (Read 6419 times)

CrispyChick

Iron
« on: November 24, 2023, 01:24:24 PM »

A recent GP blood test showed my iron to be just below range at 9 umol/l. My ferritin was in range at 24 ug/l. Looks like low end of range.

GP said bloods all good.

But I'm pondering. I am always cold. Lethargic when trying to exercise and lightheaded at times.

Iron???

I dont want to rush to supplement, as I know it can be a hard one to take. Looking for any opinions on these levels?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Iron
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 01:34:22 PM »

Thyroid dis-function can be a cause of feeling cold.  Even when results are 'within normal limits', GPs seem reluctant to do further tests even when patients continue to complain of symptoms  >:(

How is your diet overall?  Lots of food stuffs contain iron.  Mainly green though  :-\ i.e. samphire which is hard to source as most is imported from Israel at huge expense.  We used to collect it in sackfuls from the Wash. 

Lots of protein in your diet?  I can't digest eggs so lack at least 5 meals a week.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 01:35:17 PM »

Good sources of iron include:

liver (but avoid this during pregnancy)

red meat.

beans, such as red kidney beans, edamame beans and chickpeas.

nuts.

dried fruit – such as dried apricots.

fortified breakfast cereals.  [beware added sugars though]

soy bean flour.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 01:36:36 PM »

Milton Keynes University Hospital:

Iron in food

Iron exists in two forms known as haem and non-haem. Haem iron is found in animal tissue (meat) and is the most easily absorbed by the body. Non-haem iron is found in vegetables, beans, pulses and grains and is less easily absorbed by the body.

Good Sources of haem iron are: red meats such as beef, lamb and liver*, some fish and shellfish*. White meat such as chicken and turkey contain smaller quantities of haem iron.

Good Sources of non-haem iron are: Fortified breakfast cereals or bread, dark green leafy vegetables such as watercress, beans, dried fruit, nuts and soya products e.g. Tofu. (*avoid during pregnancy) which type of bread and most has added sugars

Things to know about the absorption of iron

Consuming haem iron (e.g. red meat) at the same time as non-haem iron (e.g. cabbage) can increase the absorption of non-haem iron. Vitamin C also helps to increase the absorption of iron.

Foods rich in Vitamin C are:

 Oranges, lemons, grapefruit and their juices
 Fruit juices with vitamin C added
 Blackcurrant cordial
 Blackcurrants, kiwi fruit, tomatoes, cabbage, new potatoes. Instant mashed potato (with added Vitamin C)
 Salad – cucumber, lettuce
 Brightly coloured veg – peppers, apricots, carrots, squash, corn, sweet potato

Absorption of iron is reduced by: fizzy drinks, large quantities of milk and dairy foods, tea and coffee and having too many high fibre cereals. Antacid medication for indigestion also reduces absorption.

Things to do to make sure you get enough iron

Try to include at least one portion of red meat, fish or chicken in one of your meals every day. Eat foods or drinks rich in Vitamin C together with iron-rich foods e.g. fruit juice with breakfast cereal.

Do not overcook fruit and vegetables as heat destroys vitamin C.

Avoid drinking tea, coffee or fizzy drinks, one hour before and after meals.

Iron requirements are increased during ‘growth spurts’ in growing children and adolescents, during pregnancy, in women during heavy periods and following acute blood loss.

I can't find out what the * relate to  ::).

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 01:38:53 PM by CLKD »

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 01:41:29 PM »

Thank you CLKD - you've spent some time there  :-*. Appreciated.

So, the thyroid thing. It's often crossed my mind, but been checked by NHS and a bhrt clinic. So I'm assuming all good!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 03:01:13 PM »

When do you exercise in relation to eating?  Using up energy after food can cause dizziness.  I would have a big breakfast, get on my cycle and within 10 mins would be on the ground .......

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 03:28:04 PM »

I eat more than an hour before exercise.

So, my diet isn't too bad. Recently introduced much more green leafy veg, nuts and seeds. So I'm on the right track. I know I need to eat more protein. Working on that.

I've received all my thyroid tests. I'm not even close to borderline. So I think I'll try iron to see if I can become warner 🤣.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 03:51:18 PM »

Put more layers on Girl, put more layers on  :D

I'm finding the continual changing of temperatures difficult - what to wear  ::).  Yesterday I put a lot of layers on and the sun was warm  ;D.  I also find that keeping feet up from the ground whilst sitting helpful.  When do you feel the cold, any particular time of day?

Chilly again today. 

Bonnie84

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 04:11:01 PM »

They don’t know enough about iron and ferritin here in England, they say ferritin above 30 is normal but it’s not, apparently optimal should be above 100, I suffer a lot with low iron and ferritin, I have found taking one ferrous sulphate with vitamin c every other day has helped, I’m still only at 16 ferritin but my iron levels are normal again, my ferritin was 6 I’ve spent years thinking something was seriously wrong with me but turns out now my ferritin is building up I feel so much better, so although they say bloods are all good they probably aren’t, I found a really helpful group on Facebook specifically about iron and ferritin 😊

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 04:52:50 PM »

:thankyou:

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 06:35:18 PM »

Yes. Thank you bonnie. So my ferritin is 24. And my iron is under range. So if it should be nearer 100...!

I've read about the alternate day thing.

I took my first iron this aft  :)

What type do you take?

And how was low iron making you feel???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 06:40:39 PM by CrispyChick »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 07:08:55 PM »

I don't like fish ............  ::)

HellsBells

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 01:00:22 PM »

Doctors aren't very helpful when it comes to levels of vitamins and minerals. 'Not anaemic' can also be 'not optimal' but as we are a system based on treating disorders and not preventing you have to own your own results. For example, if you had hair loss your ferritin would have to be 75 to generate new growth. I would take a supplement - I have tried many different irons and the best one for gentleness is Spatone. The apple flavour is best! I have sensitive digestion and I have no problems with a maintenance dose of that. Iron is important for SO many things (there is even research to suggest it is implicated in osteoporosis) that I would say do it.

CrispyChick

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 02:47:32 PM »

Thanks hells bells.

I've bought both spatone and better you spray. Trying spatone. I have a log of stomach issues, so nervous.

You're so right about levels. I can't be fine one day at say 16, then drop to 15 and suddenly be anemic.

I'm in Scotland and we have no nhs app, so I asked for a print out of my bloods...never done that before.

I'll be doing that every time from now on!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 08:02:33 PM by CrispyChick »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 04:46:22 PM »

Why don't you have access to NHS appts.?   :-\
Pages: [1] 2