Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Eye operation  (Read 3432 times)

Katherine

Eye operation
« on: November 13, 2023, 12:28:13 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm expecting to be having an eye operation in the near future that will involve sticking blades through the whites of my eyes and whilst under a local anaesthetic. I'm mentally already up to my limit with my relationship issues and lack of sleep due to my cat issues so I don't think I can handle an eye operation that could take an hour with only a local. HAs anyone else had an eye operation under a local, did you have sedation, how was it, etc. Apparently they may just keep an eye on me but I think they are likely to operate.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Eye operation
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 12:45:02 PM »

Better get it done sooner rather than later.   Ring the Dept and ask for details of alternatives. 

Off to read about the cat ;-)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 03:06:44 PM »

My mum had it done Katherine and she was in her late 60s at the time,she was fine,only thing that was a bother to her was after,when she couldn't bend down etc because of pressure. I think a lot of people are squeamish about eyes,I am too tbh,is there any way they could it under a general,especially as you're so worried

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 03:25:52 PM »

I think that GA is too long for a short procedure, and the eye has to be kept open?  Let us know what the Dept decides is suitable for you.

Katherine

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 03:27:01 PM »

Hi Jaypo, I had the other one lasered 12 years ago with just numbing drops but this may be too much for me, but I am also scared of a general as I have laryngospasm and asthma and I'be heard a general paralyses your breathing muscles. So I'm marginally more scared of a general. I know its rare to die but .. Not sure why I got a retina hole age 35 then this as its usually older people who get these conditions. I guess I will enquire about the options. Maybe a valium would help..

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 03:29:34 PM »

You will need to tell the Surgeon if you take anything to relax you.  It may interfere with the procedure. 

Katherine

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 03:32:46 PM »

I am planning on ringing them and asking about all this, I'm very careful with these things. They must have ways of enabling very anxious patients to get through it without PTSD at the end.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 03:37:04 PM »

I am planning on ringing them and asking about all this, I'm very careful with these things. They must have ways of enabling very anxious patients to get through it without PTSD at the end.

You could ask for enhanced sedation, so you are basically asleep but it is not a general anaesthetic and your muscles aren't paralysed. I had that for my colonoscopy. They use propophyl and / or fentanyl and can bring you around really easily. I was asleep inly for about 20-25 minutes x

Katherine

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 03:53:14 PM »

Hi Penguin,

I didn't know about that, it sounds preferable to a full general. I will ring up tomorrow.x

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 04:23:41 PM »

Hi Penguin,

I didn't know about that, it sounds preferable to a full general. I will ring up tomorrow.x

It may mean waiting a bit longer as you'll be on a different theatre list but it shouldn't be that much longer.

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 05:46:16 PM »

Hi Katherine,

I had IOLs  (intra ocular lenses) put in last year,it's the same procedure as for dealing with cataracts. The reason  I wanted it to be done was due to being very very short sighted and contact lenses just not being an option any longer.

I was awake when the procedure was done, local anaesthetic was used, I felt no pain at all. I was told that a GA was not an option as the patient must be able to look in a particular direction during the procedure, not possible with a GA. I seem to remember another lady having the same procedure was offered beta blockers to help her anxiety.

I must admit I was apprehensive about having just a local anaesthetic but honestly it was no problem at all.

Katherine

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 07:03:57 PM »

Hi Katherine,

I had IOLs  (intra ocular lenses) put in last year,it's the same procedure as for dealing with cataracts. The reason  I wanted it to be done was due to being very very short sighted and contact lenses just not being an option any longer.

I was awake when the procedure was done, local anaesthetic was used, I felt no pain at all. I was told that a GA was not an option as the patient must be able to look in a particular direction during the procedure, not possible with a GA. I seem to remember another lady having the same procedure was offered beta blockers to help her anxiety.

I must admit I was apprehensive about having just a local anaesthetic but honestly it was no problem at all.

Hi Limpy, thanks for sharing. I’m terrified to be honest. Anywhere but my eyes.  Think I would need more than beta blockers. I do appreciate your info though and it’s a bit reassuring to know other people haven’t found it so bad. X