Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Contra-indication for drug therapies  (Read 3588 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Contra-indication for drug therapies
« on: October 24, 2023, 01:55:25 PM »

For several years I've swallowed 'omeparzolo' without giving it much thought other than it relieves the reflux and helps with that continual throat clearing.

However: having been prescribed Erthryomycin [sp] last week and finding out by reading the leaflet: not from the Pharmacist at Boots: that the above and statins are not to be taken at the same time: I began looking in PPIs as a matter of course.

Apparently they can also cause bone thinning  :o.  And I shouldn't be taking 'escitalopram' with them either.  Who knew!  We are off to the GP next week to discuss!  As well as upsetting liver function.

Any1 else confused by what we should/not take with other medications. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 01:57:31 PM by CLKD »

Penguin

Re: Contra-indication for drug therapies
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »

With escitalopram, is that because of the long QT interval (heart rhythm) risk? If so, I asked my GP about that when I was considering ad hoc use of a ppi. He said it is dose dependent, so depends how much escitalopram you take as to whether it is contra indicated or not. I am on citalopram which carries the same risk and the max you can take alongside a ppi is 20mg before they consider the risk outweighing the benefits. Escitalopram is probably a lower amount as equivalent dosing is lower. However, totally understand your concern though, and ypu were clearly not informed about the risk.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 03:07:47 PM »

I know I got a bit confused as to what you were taking clkd but I'm sure you CAN take erythromycin and omeprazole together,my gp specifically prescribed both to me as ABs give me reflux,am I still confused?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 03:12:31 PM »

Tnx Penguin.  So many variables.

It's definitely in the leaflet jaypo - as not to take at the same time.  As our Pharmacist wasn't aware, it mayB that your GP hasn't read the recent leaflet?

Certainly lots to think about.  I ache from the 'wind'  >:(

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 03:19:39 PM »

I tend to Google the meds I am given and what they don't go with, apparently you shouldn't eat bananas with some blood pressure meds.
I have been on PPI's for a while now and I have a healthy liver according to recent blood tests. I think its important to take supplements if you are on PPI's long term as I am, I've even managed to reverse years of being pre diabetic.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 04:00:57 PM »

Blimey you'd think gps would read up on these things 🙀

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 06:28:40 PM »

No grapefruit on statins either .

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 07:52:32 PM »

The omeprazole leaflet warns about the risks of using it for over a year. Slight increased risk of hip, wrist or spinal fractures. Risk too of depleted magnesium. Nothing about erythromycin though. Weird if the erythromycin leaflet warns against omeprazole.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 09:05:50 AM »

That's a good point, I need to see when the leaflet was updated. :: March 2022 :

Even more important to pharmacists and the medial profession to query what a patient might be taking. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 09:25:59 AM by CLKD »

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 05:29:33 PM »

I tend to Google the meds I am given and what they don't go with, apparently you shouldn't eat bananas with some blood pressure meds.
I have been on PPI's for a while now and I have a healthy liver according to recent blood tests. I think its important to take supplements if you are on PPI's long term as I am, I've even managed to reverse years of being pre diabetic.

Same here. I research any medication that is prescribed before taking it and always tell the dentist, doctor, pharmacist about other meds, allergies, etc. although they don't always listen, like the recent prescription I got for stuff I was allergic to  :'(  Maybe they should know or ask, but experience tells me that I'm better off doing it myself. I prefer to make sure that I know exactly what I'm taking and the possible side effects.

Aprilflower

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 08:55:19 PM »

I am not surprised by any of this.  Every medication carries risk, and the more combinations increases the risk.

I'm 67 and my husband is 68.  Neither of us take and prescription medication, and hope to continue to that way for as long as possible.

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 10:16:52 AM »

I was 65 before having to take prescription medications but your body will make its own mind up when it's time to start down the medication road and that's even with having a life of healthy eating and activities.

I also don't think its done me any favours not starting meds earlier, at over 70 I am very intolerant of them and most times they don't work for me.
But I am glad the medication is out there to make life bearable as we age, where I used to say no to everything I now say yes to meds offered that will give me a good quality of life going forward, and hoping that they work! 

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »

I sometimes think some Drs just hand out certain meds as it's the "usual " med for that ailment,I was given calcium tablets for osteopenia but after doing a lot of digging I found that sometimes calcium is of no help at all,in fact the calcium can go to all the wrong places,which those of you with HA will know exactly what my issues were,so I now take vit d with added vit k as this helps your own natural calcium intake go to the right places,now,should Drs know these things? Or is it up to us to go figure it out?

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 06:07:07 PM »

In Wales NICE/NHS Wales seems to play a large part in determining what treatments are offered.
For Osteoporosis NHS Wales state that Alendronic Acid must be the first thing tried, only when it's not tolerated for a year are other options offered. Previous GP with a brain said that this was purely down to cost.

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 06:40:14 PM »

In Wales NICE/NHS Wales seems to play a large part in determining what treatments are offered.
For Osteoporosis NHS Wales state that Alendronic Acid must be the first thing tried, only when it's not tolerated for a year are other options offered. Previous GP with a brain said that this was purely down to cost.

My mum's statin was changed, without discussion, to a cheaper one. She got bad side effects really quickly, complained, and a different GP switched her back. Really annoying she had to go through that though, it's all about cost isn't it.
Pages: [1] 2