Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Flax seed and other phytoestrogens  (Read 22081 times)

Shorty Pants

Flax seed and other phytoestrogens
« on: October 18, 2023, 01:18:40 PM »

Hi all,
I'm now off my evorel patches and 3 weeks on just about all the withdrawal/side effects have gone. (Thank heavens!)  I currently have the mirena until in know I'm definitely not going back on patches, then that's going too!

I'm feeling pretty good right now - better than I have for ages in fact and want to do everything I can to keep it that way.

I've changed my diet over the last few months and have upped my intake of phytoestrogens, including via soy products.

I've seen that flax seed is touted as high in phytoestrogens, but then read dire (Google  ::)) warnings it reduces your natural oestrogen as a consequence.  I'm 55 and reckon I'm probably in the menopause now, although I haven't had periods for ~14 years with the mirena.  Obviously, I don't want to do something to upset the balance I've achieved, so any thoughts from you lovely people on whether it's true that flax seed does lower your natural oestrogen and whether this should be a consideration for me?   :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flax seed and other phytoestrogens
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 01:55:48 PM »

I would stick with how you are for at least 6 months to allow your body to reset.

On an 'in case' basis  ::).  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be useful.  If U add to many extras how will you know what might be working/not?

I tried flax seeds many years ago but couldn't crush them  ;D, even the dog was ducking for cover  :D.  I have added pumpkin seeds recently, with dried blueberries which I then cut out.  DH cooks from scratch most nights; occaionslaly we resort to fish and chips from the shop or sandwiches if we have a picnic or are going to be late back.

Menopause = literally the last monthly period.  My suggestion in waiting is to make sure that Mother Nature doesn't pull a fast one ;-) which means counting all over again.  Obviously with the mirena there's less chance of knowing where your body has got!

Glad that you are feeling better  :tulips2:

CeCe

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 02:27:38 PM »

Hello shorty pants,

I’m going through the perimenopause/menopause au naturel, having tried HRT for several years and struggled with the side effects.

Like you, the withdrawal/side effects from the HRT went after a few weeks and I have felt really well since then. It’s been over 8 months now and still feel really well with no menopausal symptoms at all.

My phytoestrogen intake is quite high and linseeds feature daily. I buy milled flaxseed (available from all supermarkets), so I don’t frighten any dogs and can be used (sprinkled liberally) straight from the packet/bag. I also take a linseed oil supplement daily for the omega 3 because I don’t like  fish.

I’ve only heard and read beneficial reports/studies etc for the use of phytoestrogens (including linseeds). Chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, peas, garlic, celery, broccoli, potatoes, most seeds etc are all phytoestrogens as well as soya.

I’m glad you’re feeling better and hope it continues long term.

Cece

Shorty Pants

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 08:23:45 AM »

Thank you both CLKD and CeCe.  I feel much more reassured now. 

I bought some milled flaxseed from the supermarket, but then didn't use it after I read on a couple of sites about it reducing my natural oestrogen.  Google does get on my nerves sometimes!  ;D  At least I know now that if I do start to use it, I need the milled variety!  Don't have a dog to scare, but I detest vaccuming up!  ;D

Good to hear you're managing things without HRT CeCe.  I'm very happy for the people it works for, but I just don't think that's me.  On the downside, my skin is rapidly going southwards since stopping it and I'm definitely a bit stiffer in my joints.  Maybe that will ease in time.  I did wonder about collagen supplements, particularly for my joints, as exercise and fitness is really important for me.

I'm just awaiting blood results for a general health check, part of which is a hormone test, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that...  The mirena was so painful to remove and refit that I don't want to risk having it out until I know I've definitely done with my periods and/or HRT.

Thank you agin you lovely people!  :-*

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 08:26:21 AM »

We have a shark that does the hoovering  ;)

Shorty Pants

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 05:17:44 PM »

We have a shark that does the hoovering  ;)
;D ;D ;D

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 10:16:13 PM »

Hi
I thought flaxseed increased estrogen, that's what I read a good few years ago.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 10:05:10 AM »

Hi
Yes, I believe that's the case.  It's just a few websites mentioned that in increasing the intake of flax seeds would result in our body reducing the amount of natural oestrogen it makes in response.  ???  I guess it's not such a big deal, just that I've come this far and don't want to make anything worse again!  ;D

VioletAquarius

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 10:46:47 PM »

Hi
Yes, I believe that's the case.  It's just a few websites mentioned that in increasing the intake of flax seeds would result in our body reducing the amount of natural oestrogen it makes in response.  ???  I guess it's not such a big deal, just that I've come this far and don't want to make anything worse again!  ;D

Hi Shorty Pants, sorry for being so thick, but I'm confused, what estrogen does flaxseed increase? I thought there was only one estrogen,  ie our own natural estrogen.

CeCe

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 01:25:42 PM »

Hi VioletAquarius,

Estrogen is a group of hormones produced by the ovaries, adrenal glands and fat tissues. The 3 main ones are estrone, estradiol, and estriol.

Estradiol is the major oestrogen pre menopause. At menopause and beyond estrone takes over.

Estradiol is used in HRT. The lignans (phytoestrogens) in flaxseeds increase the less potent estrone in post menopausal women. Studies in women have shown that higher intake of lignans, the key phytoestrogen in flaxseeds, is associated with reduced risk of breast cancer.

Overall, consuming flaxseed is good thing to do, not just for the lignans but also for its omega 3 content.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 02:29:40 PM by CeCe »

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 11:05:37 PM »

Thanks for explaining CeCe, I understand a bit more now, not fully, just a bit  ;D x

Shorty Pants

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 09:04:39 AM »

Hi VioletAquarius,

Estrogen is a group of hormones produced by the ovaries, adrenal glands and fat tissues. The 3 main ones are estrone, estradiol, and estriol.

Estradiol is the major oestrogen pre menopause. At menopause and beyond estrone takes over.

Estradiol is used in HRT. The lignans (phytoestrogens) in flaxseeds increase the less potent estrone in post menopausal women. Studies in women have shown that higher intake of lignans, the key phytoestrogen in flaxseeds, is associated with reduced risk of breast cancer.

Overall, consuming flaxseed is good thing to do, not just for the lignans but also for its omega 3 content.
Thanks for the explanation CeCe!  I get very confused with the whole thing! (Although easily done to be fair!  ;D ;D)