Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Should I be worried?  (Read 2140 times)

Lizbef1972

• First Flush
Should I be worried?
« on: September 21, 2023, 04:44:27 PM »

I had a smear test and the results have come back saying they found HPV and there's been changes to the cells in my cervix.  I have to go for a colposcopy clinic to take a further look but it has totally freaked me out.  Should I be worried?  Anyone had a colposcopy? Do you get results straight away?  I am totally catastrophising it!!

Penguin

Re: Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 05:08:10 PM »

Didn't want to read and run as you sound so worried.l and I know how that feels. All I know about smear tests is there are lots of different types of HPV and I think only two that are potentially dodgy. HPV infections often often clear up on their own. My cousin also had cell changes and they were just burnt off, no further treatment needed. At the point of cell changes, whatever it is, you are catching it early so please try not to worry!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 06:01:17 PM »

It's understandable that you are worried but the reason for testing is that it picks up changes before you get any symptoms and you can have treatment at a really early stage. Were you up to date with your smears? Have you looked at the NHS link which explains that the changes are cells which could, if left untreated, turn into cancer
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/colposcopy/
Taz x  :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 09:13:21 PM »

I think it's important to remember these are PRE cancerous cells. I had the same thing about 30 years ago. It was picked up by a smear but I'd had some spotting between periods (didn't make the connection - duh). They burnt it out and I've been clear ever since. They've picked it up when it's very treatable. I was just thankful I live in a country where they find it before it's too late.

Jules

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 02:13:44 PM »

I had a smear test and the results have come back saying they found HPV and there's been changes to the cells in my cervix.  I have to go for a colposcopy clinic to take a further look but it has totally freaked me out.  Should I be worried?  Anyone had a colposcopy? Do you get results straight away?  I am totally catastrophising it!!

I had a colposcopy about 30 years ago after an abnormal smear. Everything was okay afterwards, I had annual smear for a bit and I've never had an abnormal one since. I didn't feel anything when they were taking biopsies either