Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Has anyone had a raised brown spot that's not melanoma?  (Read 1331 times)

KaraShannon

Has anyone had a raised brown spot that's not melanoma?
« on: August 30, 2023, 10:29:32 AM »

Hi all

I've had a raised brown spot down below for about a year.  I sent photos into the doctor a year ago and he considered it might be an ingrown hair, but it's never resolved itself.  It now seems slightly bigger, not by much at all but still.  You can't try to 'remove' it as it hurts, so it's something.

I tried to speak to the surgery last week but reception put me off but today another one is going to get the doctor to call.

I don't think it looks good.  Can these things be anything other than melanoma?  Has anyone else had anything that looks not too good (brown or dark brown) but turned out to be ok?

Aprilflower

Re: Has anyone had a raised brown spot that's not melanoma?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:46:40 AM »

It could be a form of Keratosis, which I have had.  It needs treatment but is not dangerous

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/actinic-keratoses/

There are other forms of Keratosis which I think are rarely a problem.  Even so you should really get it checked.  Maybe a private GP?

Jenna

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 11:32:28 AM »

It’s probably a sebhorrhoeic keratosis - I had one in the same area and my GP just burnt it off.

Here’s some info:

https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/617

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 01:25:39 PM »

Thanks Aprilflower and Jenna

I've arranged to see a private GP tomorrow.

It looks much tidier than those photos, but raised.  it actually looks like there's something embedded in the skin but it's been like it for over a year now and lots of moisturiser, etc, to encourage anything to come out but hasn't. 

Doctor wasn't worried when first saw it and it hasn't changed much but it shouldn't still be there I don't think and it's slightly bigger, very slight but enough to bother me.

At the moment a lot is bothering me though, pretty anxious.  I have just moved house and have been lowering oestrogen.  The house move went smoothly, so wondering if lowering the oestrogen is doing this.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 11:34:27 AM »

Off to get it looked at in a couple of hours.

Not sure what's stressing me more, the embarassment of where it is, or what it is.

Why is everything so harder in menopause.  When I was a younger filly I would just breeze in there, show the problem area discreetly all the while maintaining composure, etc.  Now I feel like an awkward elephant that's got to thud in there, flop down, aches and pains while I move clothes to show her the spot.  I mean I look pretty much the same, but I don't feel it.  And why these things cause so much stress and anticipation.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 11:35:11 AM »

;D

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 01:32:44 PM »

Good luck & let us know the outcome.
Cazikins x

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 09:22:14 PM »

Thanks Cazikins

It turns out it's nothing.  Doctor is not worried about it.  So all good.

Cazikins

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 10:55:01 PM »

Excellent news & now you can relax  :)