Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Cats  (Read 25140 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cats
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »

She's a cat.  A free spirit.  Mine would wake me around 5.00 ish by pulling my eyelids open with his lips, all the while purring.  Loudly.  Giving in was the way to feed him then go back to sleep.  How do you know that she wants in in the early hours?  Our neighbours' cat would tap paws on our windows  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2023, 01:00:06 PM »

I'm not sure there's an easy answer to this. Do you have a cat flap? My four have access to outside night and day purely because keeping them in meant no sleep for anyone! Looking at the security cameras they are usually most active between 2 and 6 a.m. I go to bed around 12.30 and they are all in having just had their supper looking settled for the nght....but then they are off on adventures. They do wake me just after 6 but that's my waking up time anyway.
Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2023, 03:26:56 PM »

Also will she settle if the food/water is in your room? 

Katherine

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2023, 03:30:51 PM »

I don't have a cat flap, I'm renting and it's not a suitable area to let her out at night and she gets really panicky if she can't get in. I guess I could put cat biscuits in the living room with her water. I've put tin foil round the door handle as she doesn't like that so it might deter her from jumping and also I'll just have to wedge the door handle. I just cannot handle sleep deprivation on top of everything else. I'm self employed and if I don't work I don't have a roof over my head. I've hardly worked for a week, its torture trying to run a business on no sleep.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 03:55:35 PM by Katherine »

CLKD

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2023, 04:43:38 PM »

Cats are nocturnal and expect their Slaves to be too. 

Taz2

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2023, 05:38:42 PM »

Is this new behaviour Katherine? How long have you had her and how old is she?

Taz x

littleminnie

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2023, 05:59:56 PM »

Ours come upstairs at night.  We take their collars off and up they go.

Katherine

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2023, 06:40:33 PM »

She stays with me until around 3am-5am but then wants to play and isn’t content til I’m awake too by scratching the headboard,etc, so then I have to put her in the living room.

Taz2

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2023, 07:11:06 PM »

Has she got lots of stuff to keep her occupied like the climbing frames and boxes to dive in and out of? Mine love their tunnel. Has she always kept you awake?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2023, 07:24:39 PM »

Ours loved an upturned box with handle gaps, 1 in the box the other prowling and pouncing  ;D

It's not an easy problem to solve, she's set in her ways and knows how to wake you Katherine.

Penguin

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2023, 08:27:45 PM »

She stays with me until around 3am-5am but then wants to play and isn’t content til I’m awake too by scratching the headboard,etc, so then I have to put her in the living room.
[/quote

I know it's not a long term solution, but if you work from home are you able to adjust your working hours so you can start really early, finish early and then get a super early night until you find a cat solution. Sounds sad but I am usually asleep by 9pm because I never know what time memopause / dog / kids are going to wake me up.

If this is recent, I wonder if she has got confused with the clocks changing? And can cats take any herbal sleep supplements? Something to reset the sleep / wake cycle? Although perhaps its normal for them to be up in the night,  I don't know.

Katherine

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2023, 08:38:22 PM »

Has she got lots of stuff to keep her occupied like the climbing frames and boxes to dive in and out of? Mine love their tunnel. Has she always kept you awake?

Taz x

She does have plenty to keep her occupied, I think it’s just being in her own and being hungry. I’m going to feed her right before bed and wedge the door handle.

Katherine

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2023, 08:42:18 PM »

[/quote

I know it's not a long term solution, but if you work from home are you able to adjust your working hours so you can start really early, finish early and then get a super early night until you find a cat solution. Sounds sad but I am usually asleep by 9pm because I never know what time memopause / dog / kids are going to wake me up.

If this is recent, I wonder if she has got confused with the clocks changing? And can cats take any herbal sleep supplements? Something to reset the sleep / wake cycle? Although perhaps its normal for them to be up in the night,  I don't know.

I think they naturally wake early but she’s going to have to fit in with me if it’s going to work. I’ve tried to put her first but she doesn’t have to work and can sleep all day so I need to
Look after myself . I’m going to take your advice Penguin and wedge the door handle. She has water, litter box, toys, cat tree, scratching post, bed, view onto the street, and I’ll give her overnight biscuits too. I do want to start going to bed early like you Penguin, it’s my ambition as I want to start going for walks before work.

CLKD

« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2023, 09:38:11 PM »

If she is constantly hungry then she needs a vet check up as there may be underlying health issues i.e. thyroid. 

Taz2

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2023, 10:00:32 PM »

Taz x

She does have plenty to keep her occupied, I think it’s just being in her own and being hungry. I’m going to feed her right before bed and wedge the door handle.

Mine do munch on biscuits in the night. I can hear them although sometimes it's one of the sneaky visitors  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9