Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Did anyone get headache with vaginal estradiol but fine now?  (Read 2435 times)

KaraShannon

Did anyone get headache with vaginal estradiol but fine now?
« on: August 10, 2023, 10:40:04 PM »

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone got headaches or migraine with vaginal estradiol but later found they were ok with it?

It is definitely listed as a side effect and it's happening to me reliably when I use it.  And recently I also had word finding difficulties, which hopefully was a migraine aura and nothing more serious.  I'm afraid of raising stroke risk.  When you can't find your words it makes it all feel much closer than before.

Have I spoken to the doctor, yes in the past but didn't have the word finding difficulty then.  I have been on too high a dose of oestrogen and now on a much lower dose.  But still find I'm reacting to vaginal estradiol only.  With the patches I'm fine though I had a lot of dizziness on standing when the dose was too high, that's much better, almost gone now. 

Maybe I just need to stabilise from that? 

While I haven't got horrible symptoms down there, I'm acutely aware that the muscles are much weaker, as if mild prolapse at certain points in the cycle.  So I want to treat this and prevent it getting worse, but afraid of serious effects on the brain like stroke.

Has anyone else had problems like this before but later found they could use vaginal oestrogen.  I find ovestin is milder than vagifem, but still notice an effect.  I used a tiny 'dot' amount of ovestin the other day and then later in conversation with someone I couldn't find the right word.  No one notices, but I can tell the difference, I also had a bit more dizziness on standing.  Frustrating. 

Thanks for any advice / thoughts  :)

KaraShannon

Re: Did anyone get headache with vaginal estradiol but fine now?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 10:42:33 PM »

I have finally got a doctor to agree to test both estradiol and testosterone.  Appointment end of August.

Maybe I just need some testosterone.  Here's hoping.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »

I've just joined the forum and seen a couple of posts you've made about this.  I've just posted a question today along these lines.  We're always told that vaginal oestrogen only works locally for VA, but I see a huge list of side-effects and wonder if that can be the case.

I was told the same about the mirena with progesterone, but it definitely has a systemic effect.

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »

I've just joined the forum and seen a couple of posts you've made about this.  I've just posted a question today along these lines.  We're always told that vaginal oestrogen only works locally for VA, but I see a huge list of side-effects and wonder if that can be the case.

I was told the same about the mirena with progesterone, but it definitely has a systemic effect.

Hark!  Someone heard me  ;D  thanks Shorty Pants. 

Unfortunately I had to cancel my blood test, so I'm going to have to sort another one soon, this is an endless loop.

I really wish I could use it, and probably I can with good advice and a regime to manage side effects.  I've just seen a private doctor and I notice they have a menopause clinic, or I possibly should contact the Newson Clinic, because not getting anywhere with this currently.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 12:12:47 PM »

Aww, I wish I could be more helpful, but maybe we're on a learning journey together!  I'll keep watching out for your posts too, as I'll be interested to hear what kind of info/advice you receive. (Altho tbh, I think the medics are making it up as they go on sometimes!  ;))

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 03:32:53 PM »

When I was prescribed Vagifem to use daily, I was a bit shocked and wondered if it was safe to do so, GP said its so low dose it doesn't reach the blood stream.
I have not had any side effects using both vagifem and ovestin daily but from reading some of the posts on here, it seems that some women are sensitive to the treatment. I've suffered with migraines in the past but I haven't had them in a while. 

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 10:16:22 PM »

I've just read another thread where one of the ladies got headache when she first started using vagifem, and put it down to because it's thin down there it is more easily absorbed into the body, but once the vagifem gets to work down there and plumps it all up it can't get through into the bloodstream as easily.