Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: My future seeems very bleak at the moment. No prospects. Scared  (Read 1419 times)

loonarider

Hello,

I am in the worst dilemma. I am over 40. No career, no job (finding it terribly hard to get even a cleaning job), and my partner is starting to stress as we need another income in the house.

I've gone back to university (The Open Uni) studying a science degree, but need work. I'm fighting to make something of myself before I wither away with the menopause and what not.

I'm afraid of ageism in the workplace and at the interview/application stage and wondering whether this may be the reason I've no responses after applying to 100 jobs over the past week!

Ihe catering experience and customer service mostly.

A levels in Science, English and Maths.

Not sure what to do. What kind of job will employ me as a 45 year old???

All of this stress with money and no job and ageing is putting me into a depression and it's scaring me. I feel like I'm on the brink of losing it  :'(

Minusminnie

Re: My future seeems very bleak at the moment. No prospects. Scared
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 03:25:47 PM »

Have you thought of a school teaching assistant job ?
There may be some advertised over the next months now that it is school holidays. Others may be able to give advice for or against that idea. It was just my first thought given that you have qualifications and working towards another.

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 03:46:53 PM »

Hi loonarider,

My first thought reading your post is not to worry about your age. The country is screaming out for more mature workers especially after the Covid pandemic. The Government are on a mission to attract the over 50s back to work - a demographic with life skills not just qualifications or specific experience.

Which leads me onto my next point. Dont just focus on your qualifications or experience to date. Make a list of all your other skills - most of them will be transferable to a variety of jobs. If you arent aware of these ask a good friend to tell you what you are naturally good at e.g. organised, creative, meticulous, people-person etc etc.

It seems obvious to me that you are very motivated by the fact you have chosen to do a science degree in your 40s. Chapeau to you :)

Let everyone you know that you are looking for a job. It's amazing how much networking can help you find something that isn't advertised.

If you can't find anything suitable instantly have you thought of volunteering. This can be a great way to build confidence and get on the paid work ladder either within the organisation you're volunteering for or somewhere else.

Finally I would treat it like YOU are looking for a job that YOU want and not that you are waiting to be chosen or rejected. Turn the tables and take control.

I think you will be fine. Be confident and positive. Good luck x

Poupee

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 04:04:11 PM »

Have you thought of signing up to a recruitment agency?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 04:57:01 PM »

Joining a recruitment agency is a good idea. I'm not sure about teaching assistant jobs as this was my field and they do need you to have more qualifications nowadays. The interview can be really challenging too.

Try not to think of yourself as too old to work. We have to work to 66/67 nowadays to receive our state pension so that's over twenty years productive working life left for you. It's just about gaining confidence so maybe part time would be a good way to start. How long is it since you had a job? You still have so much to look forward to. I would love to be your age again instead of in my late sixties.

Taz x  :hug:

getting_old

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 06:15:49 PM »

I'd suggest signing up with a temp agency. I worked as a temp through Uni and it gave me lots of different experiences I could put on my CV. In many cases I'd go to a company for a day and they'd ask me to go back several times, and in some cases they offered me a permanent job. It's a good way to get your foot in the door without having to go through formal processes and the companies know what you can do.
Can I ask how long since you had a job?
Also as others have said volunteering is a great way to meet people and also develop skills, and looks good on a CV. Good luck!

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 06:30:49 PM »

Hi loonarider,

Firstly you have good qualifications, and a lot of life experience.  I understand menopause making you feel as if you're life is over but it isn't.

I would agree with previous posts, the country is crying out for more mature workers; at various times in my own career I found that signing up with temp agencies to be very useful. Why not try that?

I really hope things work out for you xxx