Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Flucloxcillin side effects?  (Read 1371 times)

lizzog

Flucloxcillin side effects?
« on: July 11, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »

I was stung by a bee on the 1st July and had an allergic reaction, which ended up getting infected.  I've been on flucloxcillin since Sunday and feel like I've been drugged! I feel really drowsy - I've checked with the local hospital Medicines Advice Line as I'm on other meds, and they said to speak to my GP if I was concerned.  I just wondered if anyone else feels like this on flucloxcillin?  I must be a medical enigma  ::) ;D

Tinkerbell

Re: Flucloxcillin side effects?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 11:49:59 AM »

I was prescribed it and it made me feel awful and exhausted. It gave me bloody diarrhoea so bad that I had to stop and it is now on my records saying I mustn't be prescribed it again.

MY FIL recently took a course of it and he did mention feeling drowsy but weather was very hot and he is 93 so that may have been reason he felt like that.

I was put on Augmentin instead and was fine with that.

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 11:59:04 AM »

Thanks Tinkerbell.  I've been prescribed something else now by my GP and hopefully will be a bit less exhausted!

Orba

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 05:12:19 PM »

Awful Antibiotic. I  was prescribed this for an infection once and within a day felt awful. Indigestion and stomach pain to name a few side effects .
Called GP and asked him to change it.

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 06:07:09 PM »

I just felt really spaced out.‘I’ve changed and already feel way better!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 06:14:40 PM »

What kind of reaction did U experience?  Bees leave the sting behind which can irritate for ages until removed.

An anti-histamine cream can ease local symptoms.  One of the pro-cyclists was stung under his helmet on le Tour the other day, he went back to the Medical Car for something to dab on it.

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 07:53:24 AM »

I'm not sure that the sting is still in - you can see the mark, but no sting.  It's a red rash which became raised, hot and blotchy.  I've drawn a ring round it as I often get bad reactions to stings and bites.  The rash spread.  I always use hydrocortisone twice a day to relieve the itching and take antihistamines.  The itching is gradually subsiding and the swelling has come down  :-\

Jenty

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 11:44:34 AM »

I always get thrush after taking flucloxcillin.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 02:04:53 PM »

A wasp sting doesn't remain.  A bee sting may, but you will see the thick black sting pulsating in the wound.  A reaction is the bodies way of healing the area.

How is it today?