Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: High testosterone?  (Read 1306 times)

Beaniehat

High testosterone?
« on: July 10, 2023, 03:23:48 PM »

I wonder if anyone has experience of this. I have just started HRT via Newson and the doctor said that in 3-6 months we could think about adding in testosterone. They charge £85 to see where your base levels are so I did a Medichecks test. The result came out at 7.4nmol whereas 'normal' is up to about 2 I believe.

By all rights i should have a beard (which i don't). Has anyone else had this or know anything about it? I'm wondering whether it was just a rogue test.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
Re: High testosterone?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 03:27:34 PM »

That's odd isn't it. Is it a cheap test that would be wrong? or is there another scale to read it by that makes sense?
Either way, contact the company who sold or processed the test and ask them.

Beaniehat

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 03:57:20 PM »

Thanks for responding. The 'report' said that the normal range was 0.5 to 1.67 nmol and mine was 7.44. Obviously this is way over the normal range and it suggested i "discuss with my doctor" but i can't get another Newson appointment for a while (not least due to the cost)!

floraljo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 05:52:33 PM »

Hi, did you get an answer on this?
My testsoterone is high and I'm not on testsoterone replacement but my oestrogen and shbg are also high.

Emzib0b

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 11:06:36 AM »

Hi Beaniehat,

Was SHBG included in the test?

floraljo

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 12:28:50 PM »

Emzibob - please can you explain the relevance of shbg? I understand it binds testosterone so makes less freely available.  But I read recommendation for testsoterone testing now is just total and not FAI. Thanks

Emzib0b

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 01:55:27 PM »

Emzibob - please can you explain the relevance of shbg? I understand it binds testosterone so makes less freely available.  But I read recommendation for testsoterone testing now is just total and not FAI. Thanks

Hi Floraljo,

Essentially what you said!

“In women, at least 80% of bound serum testosterone is bound to SHBG. Consequently, free serum testosterone levels are substantially influenced by SHBG levels, which limit the interpretation of free serum testosterone. The FAI takes this SHBG dependence into account“

https://gpnotebook.com/en-gb/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20110323210745766773

I wasn’t actually aware of the change to monitor total T instead of FAI, my meno consultant went off my FAI when looking at my baseline, so thank you for pointing this out. I can see now I’ve had a look that the BMS have in fact updated their guidance for health professionals. I’ll keep this in mind when I have my T checked in a couple of weeks!

Take care x

floraljo

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 02:29:53 PM »

Emzibob- does your Dr tell you your total testosterone? I'm intrigued as to why guidance changed on FAI/ total testosterone. My total is elevated but my FAI can't be calculated because of high shbg. No idea what to do in this situation

Emzib0b

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 05:42:00 PM »

Emzibob- does your Dr tell you your total testosterone? I'm intrigued as to why guidance changed on FAI/ total testosterone. My total is elevated but my FAI can't be calculated because of high shbg. No idea what to do in this situation

I’m able to access my GP blood test results via the Patient Access app, and my most recent test was via Medichecks (as is the next one in a couple of weeks). Are you using/have you used oral Oestrogens?

I’m also intrigued about the change in guidelines. I remember reading somewhere that the free testosterone test is meant to be the gold standard, but calculating FAI is a suitable alternative. I don’t know if the NHS offer the free T test, though?

floraljo

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »

Ah maybe not. My gp said she can't do FAI test so maybe it's related to that.

I also pay for medichecks tests. They must make a mint from us menopausal ladies. I bet their profits have skyrocketed off the back of increased hrt use.

floraljo

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 06:26:42 PM »

I've not used oral oestrogen - I'm on patches and oestrogen cream. The shbg is baffling - it has got higher each test. I don't know if once oestrogen goes high, all my other hormones are shooting up too. I've had several tests and can't see a pattern.
My shbg has never been within normal range but it was only just above normal before starting hrt.