Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ring Pessary advice please  (Read 1978 times)

Witch hazel

Ring Pessary advice please
« on: June 29, 2023, 02:31:50 PM »

Hi Peeps,

Had a gynae appointment on Wednesday, after having an intermittent "prolapse" on and off for a couple of years now.  Lovely female GP, talked me through everything, said my pelvic floor exercises have definitely helped pull things back into place, but has prescribed me a ring pessary with support just in case I feel the need to use it, along with Vagirux hormone pessaries to help maintain things a bit more.

She offered to fit the pessary for me, or I could have a go myself and see how I get on.  I used a menstrual cup for years pre-menopause, so said I would try it first and go back if I needed any help.  I picked up the ring on way home today and can't really believe how big it is!  Its a size 4 - 70mm but it looks huge compared with the cup I used to use  :o .

I don't actually feel the need of it at the moment, but she suggested I could practice with it if I wanted to.  Even folding it in half is an effort - my fingers don't feel strong enough to hold it and manoeuvre it at the same time ... will pluck up the courage to try it later, but in meantime any tips from those of you who use one would be helpful.

Thanks ladies  :)

Dierdre

Re: Ring Pessary advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 10:12:35 PM »

I had one fitted by the gynae but had to remove it after a few hours as I couldn't pee, it seemed to pull in my bladder so tightly and was so bulky. I did try to squeeze it together to try putting it in again but like you said it was so hard to bend it was impossible.
I used to have a diaphragm years ago but it was nothing like that.
It reminded me of a dogs chew ring  ;D

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 07:58:51 PM »

I bought an inflataball pessary , much easier

Witch hazel

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 09:02:51 PM »

Thanks - I have seen the Inflatoball ones, and they do look easier, but wasn't sure what size I needed.  Having seen the size of the pessary the GP has prescribed, after measuring me, I would never have guessed I needed one so large.  I will persevere with the ring for the moment, and if it does seem to be a good fit, I might get a "ball" type the same size.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 09:54:18 PM »

I managed to improve my prolapse with pelvic floor exercises and local estrogens with the help of a physiotherapist. Could you ask for a referral for a few sessions, they help target the correct muscles to work on and ways to exercise these specifically.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 08:17:47 AM »

Hello ladies.

I don't have any experience to offer but I do know that it is important to get the correct size of ring.  My neighbour had hers fitted at outpatients but it was too small and fell out while she was using the toilet. She then had to have a larger one fitted which has stayed in place. She was also told that it is important not to be constipated as extra straining can expel or dislodge the ring.

I hope this helps in some way and take care ladies.

K.

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 11:33:29 AM »

The inflataball  so are expensive now .

I had been given a huge ring pessary and it fell out all the time . I was told I needed a really big one  so bought the largest ball and it fell out too . Clearly GP didn’t really know how to fit which I don’t blame her for .

Then eventually got the smallest one and it was perfect and  a complete life changer .

I agree about regular bowel movements and to this end take a couple of teaspoons of pysillium husk in a glass of water every morning which means you have a good solid evacuation ( apologies for detail ) every morning without fail.

By all means try physio etc but some prolapses are far too gone or are effected by prolapsed bowels which no amount of excercise will help so good idea to find out what is causing yours .

Minusminnie

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »

The inflataball  so are expensive now

If I remember rightly you are buying a new one every 6 months ?

ps just mentioning as thought the OP might need to know.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 10:30:29 AM by Minusminnie »

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 11:36:05 AM »

Yes I buy a new one every six months just to make sure they are in tip top condition and also to have a spare when I go away as could not manage without it .

What actually works well is to have 2 on the go and give one a rest for a few weeks .

There is also a donut one which stays inflated and you pop in . I think it’s a bit cheaper and has no external bits . Probably a lot more effective than the ring pessary . I take the I flat out every night .