Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan every other day on cyclic regime ?  (Read 3131 times)

jasmineDevi

• First Flush
Utrogestan every other day on cyclic regime ?
« on: June 28, 2023, 05:10:48 PM »

I am quite new to HRT. Have had Wonderful results so far , 95 % of my 2 year long fatigue is gone . I’m on 37,5 Estradot patch and 200 mg Utrogestan 14 days / cycle . Very interested to hear from ladies who still have period , if anyone take Utrogestan every other day vaginally to limit side effects . I do now , and it seems ok, no spotting or mood affected. I can’t have 100 mg , not licensed in Sweden . Also I’m thinking I could take Utro every second or third cycle  - any opinion on this anyone ? I’m bleeding normally without Utrogestan - so I think I’m ok. And yes I will have the regular scans !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan every other day on cyclic regime ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 05:47:33 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse round.  Make notes.  I'm sure that someone will be along who knows or uses a similar regime to yours.

We talk about everything here.  So don't be put off - nothing is too much information.   

Jnine

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:17:07 AM »

Hello, I still have my period and am in the estrogen gel and 200mg utrogestan for 14 days. I was taking the utrogestan orally and was having awful side effects and not looking forward to the part of my cycle so after reading on here about taking vaginally I decided this month to try and it has been amazing! No side effects as yet but I still have 3 days to go with it but I much prefer it! My sister who lives in Australia is taking the utrogestan vaginally every other day! I did ask my doc about this when I started hrt but she didn’t know anything about that way of taking it. The reason my sister takes it every other day is so her period is almost nonexistent and very light. I would be interested to hear how you get on using this method! About me 51 years old :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:53:23 AM »

Can you get cyclogest in Sweden? It also comes in 200mg but they're like wax so easier to cut in half. I don't know the answer to your question but as the bleed is due to withdrawal of progesterone I wouldn't be surprised if it causes problems. As long as you have a good bleed of your own each month it's *probably* OK to go off piste but you should tell your doctor and have scans to check the lining isn't building up. As your own cycle declines and you don't have a regular monthly bleed I assume it will become more risky.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 09:33:50 AM »

In the UK there is Tridestra which has a twelve week cycle where you only take the progesterone part in the last two weeks to prompt a bleed if it didn't happen already. Then you have ten weeks free from progesterone.

I asked about it because I don't like progesterone either, the HRT nurse said not yet because I still have a period every month that I'm on HRT, so even though non hrt periods or natural periods are a thing of the past and before starting hrt I was told I'm post menopausal for not having periods in over a year, I still have hrt periods every month that break through the hrt cycle and her words were, "I don't think you'd get away with it" if I tried to only have one period in three months.

To me this is illogical because the fact I'm still bleeding every month must mean I've a fair bit of progesterone of my own on top of the utrogestan and for this reason I can't cut down on the hrt progesterone, because I've still my own as well? How does that make any sense?

So what I'm saying is some people only have one bleed every two or three months like you are suggesting, but the clinicians like your own hormone levels to be quite low before cutting down the progesterone part of the hrt.