Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Lemon Verbena benefits  (Read 4228 times)

KaraShannon

Lemon Verbena benefits
« on: June 27, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »

Hi all

I bought some tea today called Balance, by Twinings.

It's got Lemon Verbena, Lemon Balm, and Rose in it.  After drinking it I felt very calm and it seemed to lift my mood as well.  Maybe placebo effect  ;D but I felt a lot better this afternoon.  I thought of having more before bed but you can over do a good thing so I'm having coffee  :o ;D  it's decaf though, lol. 

Anyway it might be worth checking out, I think it helped me.

jaypo

Re: Lemon Verbena benefits
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 07:03:19 AM »

Hi Kara,thanks for that,is that the one that specifically says menopause on the packaging? My daughter saw it in Tesco,asked if I'd like to try it,don't know if she's trying to tell me I'm narky or what  ;D

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 07:39:17 AM »

Your message reminded me that lemon balm is supposed to be very good fro anxiety. I remembered I have some in the garden and am right now making lemon balm tea. I will report back!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »

Lemon balm spreads  ;D.  Self seeds everywhere and grows really tall.

Doesn't matter if it's a placebo effect .............  ;)

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 02:23:34 PM »

I can't say I noticed any difference....

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 12:32:22 PM »

Hi all

This is the one by Twinings called Balance.  So not specifically the menopause one, they have a menopause one as well, but this is the one called Balance.

It might have been the unique balance of herbs that worked  ;D

As it is I'm really low today, I'm frightened to take the tea because it might make me sleepy and I don't want that atm. 

DottyD68

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 04:23:21 PM »

I haven't tried Lemon Verbena but will look out for it. I find Pukka teas do some great blends. The Night time one is good (oatflower, lavender and limeflower) as is the Relax one (fennel, chamomile, oat flowers and cardamon). My brother bought me a lovely selection box of Pukka teas for Christmas and it was one of my best presents.

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 10:59:47 AM »

I can imagine Dotty, I like Pukka too. 

I haven't had any more of the lemon verbena tea yet because I know it made me sleepy, sleepy and happy, but I need to take it at the right time, I don't want to be sleepy all the time, lol.

But Twinings have this other tea called Calm, which is camomile, but with vanilla and chickory.  I've never liked camomile but this I love and it's calming but without the sleepiness.   :)

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »

Hi KaraShannon, think I remember you are hypothyroid?  If not, please ignore the following but I thought I'd better flag it up for any members who are on thyroid meds & may be interested in the tea you mention which you say has lemon balm among its ingredients
I bought some tea today called Balance, by Twinings.  It's got Lemon Verbena, Lemon Balm, and Rose in it.  After drinking it I felt very calm and it seemed to lift my mood as well.
I had a vague memory that lemon balm has a question mark over it as regards interaction with thyroid meds & checking a few sources today, though they differ on detail, it seems it may be problematic, as mentioned in this link & extracts . . .

https://www.rxlist.com/lemon_balm/supplements.htm

"SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS & WARNINGS . . .
Thyroid disease: Don't use lemon balm. There is a concern that lemon balm may change thyroid function, reduce thyroid hormone levels, and interfere with thyroid hormone-replacement therapy."

"Thyroid hormone Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.Talk with your health provider.
Taking lemon balm seems to decrease how well thyroid hormone works in the body. Taking lemon balm with thyroid hormone might decrease the effectiveness of the thyroid hormone."

Just something to be aware of.
Wx

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 01:13:43 PM »

Ah, thanks Wrensong.  Good to know.  It did knock me out that day, but in a good way.

I drank it last night again and slept well, but otherwise don't feel any different.  At the moment though I might have too much thyroid hormone, not sure, but I'm lowering estradiol and have lost 2 - 3 inches off my waist in that 2 month process and I'm extremely hyper alert and anxious.  (but a lot of stressful things going on recently so not clear which is first, that or me)

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »

Oh Kara, sorry to hear about the hyper symptoms.  I know from having been inadvertently on too much thyroid replacement at times when my dose has needed adjusting, how horrible that feels.  It can be so hard to get the HRT-thyroid balance right, so I do feel for you.  If you are reducing oestrogen & have lost weight, together with the sense of being overly alert & anxious I think you are right to question whether your thyroid dose is currently a bit too high for you.  Are you intending to get a TFT any time soon?

The tea sounds fab when so many of us struggle to relax at this stage of life, so I'm sorry to have raised concerns & do get conflicted when I feel a responsibility to post something potentially unwelcome, as can occasionally be the case with thyroid issues.
Wx

KaraShannon

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 10:57:15 AM »

Oh Kara, sorry to hear about the hyper symptoms.  I know from having been inadvertently on too much thyroid replacement at times when my dose has needed adjusting, how horrible that feels.  It can be so hard to get the HRT-thyroid balance right, so I do feel for you.  If you are reducing oestrogen & have lost weight, together with the sense of being overly alert & anxious I think you are right to question whether your thyroid dose is currently a bit too high for you.  Are you intending to get a TFT any time soon?

The tea sounds fab when so many of us struggle to relax at this stage of life, so I'm sorry to have raised concerns & do get conflicted when I feel a responsibility to post something potentially unwelcome, as can occasionally be the case with thyroid issues.
Wx

Hi Wrensong

I appreciate your mention and prompting me, all be it you didn't intend to 'prompt' but to be honest I need it.  Our gp surgery is imploding under the weight of a sudden increase in population in our community and I never call the surgery because I can be waiting on the phone for an hour.  If I go in there, they can see me standing at the desk but will carry on with what they are doing for up to ten mins or so.  I know they are busy, but when your own life is difficult, it just becomes something I avoid.  Often the appointment they give me then falls at a time in my cycle where I am unable to do anything and I cancel the appointment (I've often asked for one when I'm at the point in my cycle where I'm able to get on with things!).

At the moment I've got to lose weight anyway, so I'm embracing it.  I don't have striking hyper symptoms and have never been hyper before.  I have just moved house all by myself, a ton of lifting things, carrying across to car in car park, etc, a lot more walking and the new home is much bigger (not got a big house, just normal but it's bigger than my small flat), so there's a lot more movement going on at the moment and I'm wondering if it's just that.  For now I'm ok, but I'm going to keep an eye.  I do need to arrange my blood tests soon, so I will do that when things settle a bit here. 

Wrensong, I'm always happy to hear anything you want to say about the thyroid, if at times I don't answer, it's only because I'm in the 'crushing fatigue' stage, lol.  I value it, it's an ongoing condition and it all helps.   :)