Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Over use of antibiotic therapy and possibly ADs?  (Read 1840 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Over use of antibiotic therapy and possibly ADs?
« on: June 27, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »

I didn't bother reading the weekend Press about how many people in the UK are on ADs and how many should be trying CBT and other non-medical treatments B4 being prescribed ADs  >:(

As some one who wouldn't survive without my regime and as some one who hasn't been asked how my ADs 'keep me going', I object - muttering under my breath about how 'they' should keep their noses out of peoples' medical records.  Most depressives take appropriate meds to keep alive. 

Then there were articles about men forming groups because they don't take about medical issues, how groups are being formed to prevent male suicides.

If 'they' concentrated on the over-use of antibiotic therapies World wide ........... because the World Health Organisation has advised that within 5 years many bugs will be resistant to all AB treatments ..............

MayB these groups should get together to exchange experiences?  Discuss .........

Flossieteacake

Re: Over use of antibiotic therapy and possibly ADs?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »

That news article really annoyed me because I too would not be here without antidepressants. I understand for some people they would benefit from other things such as doing yoga, going for walks etc but for some of us this is not possible due to being too depressed in the first place.

The article said most people are on antidepressants for five years and often there is no evidence it has helped them. Well, there is evidence it has helped many people. Now I worry some people will refuse to take it when they may need it. There is still a stigma about antidepressants. I hear so many people who are on them and come off only to feel bad again. They do not realise it is the antidepressant helping them to feel well in the first place and by stopping they become depressed again.

Like I say, there are some people who do not need them but for those of us that do this article is worrying and may encourage people to not take them when they really do need to.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »

Totally agree with you both. I tried for over two years without ADs when I clearly really needed them,  and that was in no small part due to the stigma attached. Low dose citalopram has made such a different to how I function. And I tell anyone that'll listen nowadays.

And yes, the 'they' annoys the hell out of me too 😡

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »

I have 22 months cyclic depression, recognised by a visit by a Phsychiatrist at home in the 1990s because my GP was worried that I might harm myself.  Whilst talking to her the Dr explained that when I felt better after 5 months of treatment, I would stop: gradually the depression would over whelm me.  Mine is organic, I also have clinical depression.  I can deferentite the two. Many 'experts' don't recognise organic and clinical as two different entities: then there's post natal depression ..........

I wonder who funds these types of article  :-\ we are never told and sometimes, not even an author is mentioned.

When in 1995 I begged for admission to a private mental health unit: cost £350 per night including consultant care and medication: I was told to take another Valium.  Which I did.  Which helped. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 01:50:21 PM »

Another thing is the ignorant GP's who suggest somebody comes off their antidepressant as they are doing well. The person comes off and gets ill again.  >:(

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 02:06:40 PM »

I hate to disagree but some GPs seem a bit too keen to prescribe them. Absolutely some people need them, I wouldn't dispute that. They wanted to give me ads when they should have given me hrt and there are many other similar posts on the forum. And I don't think there's much dispute that exercise makes you feel better. Perhaps the biggest problem is being able to distinguish between those who need them and those who don't in a 10 minute consultation and a prescription for ads is a quick and easy answer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:38:02 PM by sheila99 »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 02:09:07 PM »

Most GPs use a scale to decide whether a patient is depressed enough to warrant medication.

They often prescribe ADs because the lady attends complaining of low mood and/of depression.  Many don't think to ask about her menstrual history, 10 mins aint long to discuss ins and outs, however, I'm never rushed at my face2face appts.. 

As I recovered each time my GP and I agreed to stop the ADs.  I didn't get the connection of a cycle of up and down symptoms. 

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:27:04 AM »

Most depressives take appropriate meds to keep alive. 
Good friend of mine once told me,

"Honey, if your own neurotransmitters are faulty, shop bought work just fine."

I couldn't agree more!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 06:38:41 AM by meno-mel »

getting_old

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 06:14:43 PM »

I hate to disagree but some GPs seem a bit too keen to prescribe them. Absolutely some people need them, I wouldn't dispute that. They wanted to give me ads when they should have given me hrt and there are many other similar posts on the forum. And I don't think there's much dispute that exercise makes you feel better. Perhaps the biggest problem is being able to distinguish between those who need them and those who don't in a 10 minute consultation and a prescription for ads is a quick and easy answer.

I agree, and it's the same story with antibiotics, etc. Whilst there are people who genuinely need them there are also those who don't but they get them prescribed anyway, and that leads to problems for the genuine cases. It seems some GPs prescribe them to everyone who asks, whilst others almost refuse to prescribe them even when faced with an obvious need.
I know someone who could not function without ADs yet whenever they go to the GP they have to keep proving their need because the GP wants them to try alternatives, and it stresses them out to have to prove that they have really tried the alternatives without success. Just the idea of going to request a repeat prescription causes them severe stress, which is so sad to see.
Wasn't there a documentary recently about people selling medication they are being prescribed but don't need on eBay? It's stories like that which make people question the genuine needs  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 07:33:14 PM »

I'd missed that story about selling un-wanted medications on-line but it doesn't surprise me.  :-\

Minusminnie

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 07:32:16 AM »

Another thing is the ignorant GP's who suggest somebody comes off their antidepressant as they are doing well. The person comes off and gets ill again.  >:(

Recent Panorama bbc covered some aspects of withdrawal. 

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 12:05:15 PM »

Hello ladies.

My opinion is slightly different in that I am not sure that my AD is making much difference and I wonder if side effects are actually making things worse ( though I am likely past all side effects because I have been on them so long).

I take Venlafaxine and it was prescribed in 2013 at the same time as my first HRT so I haven't been able to identify the differences between the two. I did come off all HRT in 2019 and the physical meno symptoms increased and the emotional ones also ramped up so the AD clearly didn't help those.

I would love to come of the AD but I know it is very difficult and I am too scared to try!  The Panorama programme added to my concerns.

My HRT journey has been hit and miss and I envy anyone who finds a medication that they know helps them.

Take care ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 08:00:42 PM »

I didn't watch the Panarma programme.

When 1 AD pooped out I was weaned off it - under supervision it took 9 weeks as the GPs have smaller amounts of drugs for wimpy this purpose.  My biggest worry was every time that I dropped a dose I had bounce back anxiety, my brain would say 'Will I need to go back on if I can't cope'.  However, after 14 days I realised that those bounce back symptoms didn't become worse ............ that I didn't need to rush the process and the current AD has worked for several years.  Successfully.  Why the rush to stop anyway?