Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan vaginally daily?  (Read 477 times)

Sunriser

Utrogestan vaginally daily?
« on: June 07, 2023, 06:39:42 AM »

I had an endometrial ablation in 2007 (way before meno) I'm 53 now and can't tolerate utrogestan orally so am inserting it vaginally. The information I had seen previously stated inserting it on alternate days but now I see it's recommended daily?
In light of the progesterone intolerance (I've tried everything) I attended my GP Mirena clinic last week, if my cervix was any further back I could have worn it as a rucksack  :D. Once she got her mining lamp on and found it the coil wouldn't go past the cervix into the uterus. Apparently it's at a funny angle. The alternative is to go privately so it can be done with a scan (£500! No thanks).
So the GP wasn't happy with the Utrogestan being used vaginally, I have no leakage and very little discharge.
Any advice? I'm also on Everol 75 patches as the Evorel conti stopped working for me. I have pre existing chronic illness which seems to complicate everything. When I started the Utrogestan vaginally I had some stomach cramps which have settled down.

Penguin

Re: Utrogestan vaginally daily?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 07:50:52 AM »

I don't know about daily or alternate daily dosing, but I do know there are plenty of GPs who say vaginally is fine. It is licensed for vaginal use in other countries. I have only ever used it vaginally as i cant take anything orally on an empty stomach. For first couple of days each month I get mild tummy cramps (like period pain) shortly after inserting, but it settles down like you said. It is your body, your choice. I would stick with vaginally if you prefer it and perhaps see another GP at your surgery if that is possible.

Sunriser

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 07:55:28 AM »

Thanks! I didn’t know that. That’s a relief. I’ll continue with it and I’m sure she’ll keep prescribing for me. She’s very helpful and understanding.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 07:59:38 AM »

Oh well don't give up on a helpful and understanding GP then, they are hard to find! Perhaps mention to her that it is licensed for vaginal use in other countries, she may not know.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:15:38 AM »

Or just don't tell her. She might be one that's frightened to prescribe something off licence.

Sunriser

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 11:18:58 AM »

Yep, I was intending on telling her that I tried to take Utrogestan orally again and can tolerate it this time. A little white lie to keep her onside.