Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ear Problems  (Read 932 times)

Linda w

• First Flush
Ear Problems
« on: May 24, 2023, 02:35:10 PM »

I have been having problems for the past two and a half years since I became post menopausal with dry itchy ear canals.  I have tried the following remedies:  Vaseline, Olive Oil, Aloe Vera, Savlon, Ear Genie and Wally’s Natural Ear Canal which work for a week or so and then it is back to square one with the itching again which is driving me mad!  It probably doesn’t help that I wear hearing aids which I take out when I get home from work to give my ears a rest.  At the moment I am just getting over an outer ear infection which was probably caused by my rubbing my ear due to the itching and I have been taking Otimize ear spray for this which is working.  Prior to this there was no infection and I have micro suction once or twice a year to give my ears a good clear out.  When someone last looked in my ears they said it just looked rather dry but couldn’t suggest anything else to help other than what I have already tried.  I did think about trying antihistamines again but I am on a few other medications and I am reluctant to take anymore.Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ear Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 02:51:20 PM »

Hi! as oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, skin, vagina .......

My audiologist has advised "Earol" spray twice a day prior to possible syringing.  It has certainly stopped most of that deep seated itching = spaniel ear  ::) - it's olive oil.  It does run out a bit though  :-\

Could you consider a different type of aid?  I do understand that many are really expensive so I hope that I don't have to go that way, yet. 

It may be worthwhile using different preparations occasionally. 

Linda w

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 03:22:27 PM »

I know what you mean about falling oestrogen levels and dry skin as like a lot of menopausal women my skin is quite dry in general and I do regularly moisturise.  I have tried Earol in the past but it didn’t seem help in fact it seemed to make the itching worse. 

I currently use two NHS behind the ear hearing aids small ones which I quite like.  I would prefer in the ear canal ones but that would not be possible at the moment with the itching and I don’t see what other type I could use without spending many thousand of pounds which is out of the question. 

Anyway thanks for your reply, I hope your situation calms down as well.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 03:40:13 PM »

Is it possible to try HRT in case the itching is due to low oestrogen?

Linda w

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 03:55:05 PM »

Unfortunately I have been advised by 2 or 3 different doctors not to go on HRT due to a fibroid that I have but I think that falling oestrogen levels is definately connected to this problem.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 04:44:30 PM »

As I'm sure you know oestrogen can make fibroids grow but perhaps it's time to reevaluate the benefits vs the risks. Do you have other meno symptoms or is dry skin your only one? From a personal perspective I'd take hrt and get the fibroid removed but my life was hardly worth living without it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 04:59:51 PM »

I suggest that U get an appt to a dedicated menopause clinic - not a gynae as they often don't know much about hormones!

Let us know how you get on? 

Linda w

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 06:14:21 PM »

Thanks for your replies.  I do have a few other menopause symptoms for which I take a low dose AD, Vitamin D and I try to help my symptoms with diet and exercise where I can.  A couple of years ago I had a couple of polyps removed and I had a few ultra sound scans done, I was advised not to have the fibroid removed.  I really prefer to avoid surgery as I have an autoimmune health condition for which I am taking immunosuppressant medication.  I am trying to get my weight down and I know of a few people who have put weight on with HRT and I struggle to lose weight as it is.  I really don’t feel that that HRT is right for me and I am not that bad without it apart from the itching.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 07:32:20 PM »

I sympathaise, I get really itchy ears since peri / menopause and I wake up scratching them so they get red raw. Its caused by dryness, dr mentioned exzema. The dr prescribed otomise and this has been a game changer for me. I have it on repeat and only use it for a couple of days when I have a flare up, it works like magic. I know its got antibiotics and steroids at low dose but it is the only thing I have found that works.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 07:45:06 PM »

Hello Linda w and welcome to the forum.

Your comment about dryness made me think of the ladies who take Sea Buckthorn oil capsules to treat dry eyes. My friend also takes them and says they relieve the dryness caused by vaginal atrophy and she isn't on HRT.

I hope this helps in some way and wishing you well.

K.