Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bleeding - should I be on sequential or continuous.  (Read 371 times)

Charliehorse1

Bleeding - should I be on sequential or continuous.
« on: May 24, 2023, 12:03:39 PM »

Hi everyone.

I'm feeling a little bit sorry for myself, so hope someone might be able to advise.

I've been on on continuous HRT since November (sandrena and originally Utrogestan, then changed to Provera) I am 53 and Peri and the nurse advised that due to that and the fact my periods were becoming erratic, it was better to go straight onto continuous.

Once I changed to Provera, everything has been going great. Last month, I had a week or so of dark brown spotting. Then this month, I have had the same dark spotting as well as light bleeding for nearly 3 weeks.

A couple of months ago, I upped my Sandrena to one and a half sachets - 1.5mg, because my symptoms were starting to come back. Not sure if that has effected things, so for the last few days, I am only using one sachet a day.

Do you think, as I am still Peri it would be worth a try going onto sequential to see if it sorts the random bleeding, or should I just carry on and see if it settles down?

Any advice would be fantastic, I just want to feel ok again!

Thanks in advance  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bleeding - should I be on sequential or continuous.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 12:08:26 PM »

Hi! some regimes are for women in peri-menopause, others are for those that haven't had a period for at least 12 months = menopause.  Do check that the regime you have been prescribed is for your current situation.  Some find that increasing all at once can throw the body into free-fall, mayB better to ease gently into any changes?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 12:46:02 PM »

It sounds as though your body isn't ready for conti yet so you might expect random bleeding. A conti regime is usually given to someone who is meno, 1year without a bleed. If it was me I'd use a sequi regime but you could sit it out and hope it settles.

Charliehorse1

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 01:06:46 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

I do suspect I shouldn't have been put on a continuous at the the start but the nurse was very insistent when i questioned it.

To be honest, once I got on the right progesterone for me, it has been ok. It's just been the past couple of months, I suspect due to my own hormones working in the background.

I think I'll give it a bit more time and see if it settles down but if this continues, then I'll have to look at trying sequential, cause it is making me miserable!

Charliehorse1

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 05:56:17 AM »

Last night I was speaking to a friend who used to be on HRT and she happened to say, did you increase your progesterone?

I haven't but it made me think, if I increased the Sandrena a couple of months ago, maybe the Provera I'm taking is now not enough? I take 5mg.

It's such a mine field isn't it! My surgery directs any HRT queries to the menopause nurse, who only has a clinic one day a fortnight, so as you can imagine, its very difficult to even get a telephone appointment.

As I said, I'm going to continue as I am for the moment but I hadn't considered the progesterone part, just wondered if anyone had similar issues in the past.

Have a good day everyone.

Charliehorse1

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 07:47:39 AM »

Yes, it is interesting isn't it.

The whole HRT system of prescribing at the moment seems, at least on the NHS level, very much "suck it and see", matching people with from range of criteria
on a list I imagine, when as you say, we are all different. I had no perimenopausal symptoms at all until I was 52 looking back, when a lot of my friends were well on the way to menopausal. But at 53, it was assumed my periods were on the verge of stopping, which I now suspect, isn't the case really.

With the question of which progesterone would work best with which Estrogen, it's frustrating because, at least in my case, it's very difficult to actually get to speak to someone who could advise and maybe look into alternatives to try. So may never find the perfect combination for each person.

As I said, its a mine field but hopefully, as more women are looking into HRT as an option, more resources will be put into place to really be able to see each person as an individual and prescribe betted suited combinations. Not to mention, improve supply of the various options!

I will start sequential if it doesn't improve because despite any issues I've had, I feel SO much better on HRT then I did before, so  I'm still positive  :)