Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How to take Utrogestan?!  (Read 607 times)

Weetabix999

• First Flush
How to take Utrogestan?!
« on: May 23, 2023, 01:04:19 PM »

Hi - totally confused - the GP has prescribed 1 a day.
The insturctions inside the box suggest 2 a day or 1 a day on certain days?!
I'm using it with the Oestrogel - any clues?!

Thanks

Dotty

Re: How to take Utrogestan?!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 01:44:08 PM »

Hi welcome to the forum.

It depends if you are peri or post menopause ? Are you still having periods ?

Weetabix999

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 02:47:01 PM »

Hi thanks - yes - still having periods - I've been taking Trisequens for a few years

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 04:55:40 PM »

If you're post it's one a day every day for a conti regime. If peri it's 2x12 days (days 15-26) then you bleed (at least theoretically) on day 1.

Weetabix999

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 05:24:20 PM »

...thanks - I don't therefore understand why my GP said to take one every day?

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 09:04:31 PM »

Where are you in your meno journey?

Tynkabelle

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 05:02:19 AM »

Hi Weetabix999

I was in a similar situation 30 days ago

Wasn’t able to get the HRT I had been on for years - Cyclo Progynova 2mg and therefore was prescribed 100mg (1 tablet) Utrogestan and 4 pumps of Oestrogel every day no break - weird for me as used to have a break each month on Cyclo-Progynova - I also had a light bleed.

Dr told me to take both every day, I read the instructions in the leaflet and Googled and it gave what you saw ie 2 tablets a day or take for 12 or 14 days and then have a break so was confused.

So I went back to the Dr to query and she explained I need to be on both every day, although 1 pill not 2 to ensure my lining in the womb stays thin (I still have it etc)  In my case we are checking regarding the light bleeds (believe chemically induced not natural) and my symptoms to see if they should stop and then try to reduce my dosage as I have been on a high dosage for years - so I will eventually cut down to 1 or 2 every 12 or 14 days - so kind of an experiment to wean me down!

Taken it for 30 days as of yesterday - had initial effects and not had a bleed when I normally would from my last HRT but persevering for 3 months - keeping a daily diary to track all symptoms.

Maybe go back to the Drs to check your situation? I don’t know the HRT you were on, is it classed as high dosage. Is your Dr working with you on a long term plan to reduce down?

Weetabix999

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 08:00:41 AM »

Thanks - I was on 200g Trisequens which were fine, but I was getting migraines.....I've got really cold feet (after reading on here about Utrogestan) so having just spent £20 on it plus a gel, am going to just stick with the devil I know and have ordered some more Trisequens.....

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 08:27:18 AM »

Thousands of women are perfectly alright on utrogeston but they have no need to post on this forum. If it doesn't suit you you can always change back but as you have migraines on your current medication I would have thought it would be worth trying. A conti regime is for those who are meno (1 year without a bleed). You use a sequi regime if you're peri. If you use conti before your body is ready at best you'll get breakthrough bleeding and at worst your lining will build up. Good luck.

Weetabix999

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »

Hi Sheila - I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

I was peri when I started to take HRT - I thought that HRT just keeps you in the peri stage until you stop taking it?
And what do you mean by conti, and sequi?

Thanks.

BBK155

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 04:42:11 PM »

Are you misreading the instruction leaflet ?  It says 200 mg daily, at bedtime for 12 days in last half of cycle.   So that is me - I am peri. I still have my periods so I take 2 tablets at bedtime for twelve days and then a couple of days later my period comes.

Women who are classed as post menopausal - so no monthly period take 1 tablet daily from day 1 to day 25 in a month (28 days).

Try the utro. I am only on my second month and I read the negative messages on here before I started HRT but I have not had any negative issues with either the oestrogel or utrogesten.  I am so glad I made the decision to ask about this. I have energy again.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 04:59:39 PM »

A conti regime is where you take utro continuously every day* and sequi is where you take it for 12 days out of 28 and have a bleed.
* the box says 25 days out of 28 which can be useful in late peri but most people end up taking it every day.
You will progress to meno regardless of whether you take hrt or not as your ovaries produce less and less oestrogen and your own cycles stop. Meno is defined as 1 year without a bleed when not on hormone treatment so if you take hrt you probably won't know when your own cycle stopped so it's guesswork based on where you were when you started hrt, how long you've been on it and your age. If you've been on Trisequens for a few years perhaps they think you're likely to be meno now?

Weetabix999

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 08:25:35 AM »

Are you misreading the instruction leaflet ?  It says 200 mg daily, at bedtime for 12 days in last half of cycle.   So that is me - I am peri. I still have my periods so I take 2 tablets at bedtime for twelve days and then a couple of days later my period comes.

Women who are classed as post menopausal - so no monthly period take 1 tablet daily from day 1 to day 25 in a month (28 days).

Try the utro. I am only on my second month and I read the negative messages on here before I started HRT but I have not had any negative issues with either the oestrogel or utrogesten.  I am so glad I made the decision to ask about this. I have energy again.

I did read the instruction leaflet yes which is why I'm here as I was told to take one pill every day with no break.
I'm glad it's working for you.