Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Will I always feel this bad if I do nothing?  (Read 934 times)

Bonnie

• First Flush
Will I always feel this bad if I do nothing?
« on: April 11, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »

Hi all,
Sorry to start with something so negative! I'm just confused. I feel rubbish emotionally and mentally and it's really debilitating. I put this down to my hormones fluctuating in the perimenopause and so some days I feel OK, some days are awful and everything inbetween.
My question is this: Once I'm through the menopause I assume my hormone levels will go down to zero or almost zero. Therefore I will feel crap for the rest of my life....? Have I got that right??
So, if I take HRT and it helps, I would need to stay on it for life to maintain that level of OK-ness?
If someone can clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

jaypo

Re: Will I always feel this bad if I do nothing?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »

Hi there,welcome to the forum.
I've never been on HRT and I'm now 59,won't say it wasn't difficult at the time,in fact it was the pits but I'm through the worst,still have occasional blips but so do most people.
Even on HRT your hormones still fluctuate,hence the reason some women need to tweak the amount of hrt they are taking. I think nowadays a lot of myths have been dispelled re hrt,a lot of women stay on it for life.If your symptoms are really bad and you can't cope,I'd definitely consider it x
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 02:29:45 PM by jaypo »

Emma74

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 01:09:22 PM »

Lets hope not!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »

I'm afraid it's a 'how long's a piece of string' question. For some people the symptoms recede, for others they are lifelong. Some people get worse 3-4 years post meno. For women who take hrt some can stop without symptoms, others find symptoms are just as bad as they were. For me the decision was easy as life without it was hardly worth living but it's very much a personal decision. I've tried to reduce but every time I do symptoms return.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 01:13:50 PM »

I've answered on your other thread - the Forum has glitches  >:(

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 02:06:07 PM »

Hello Bonnie and welcome to the forum.

I think we have all asked ourselves a similar question, I know I have.

I was one of those people who managed in peri but at three years post meno I was struggling and began HRT. I sometimes wish that I had used it earlier and saved myself from the symptoms of post meno. At the moment I am using a low to medium dose of gel and although this has sorted the physical problems the emotional ones are still evident.

I expect that I will continue this regime for as long as I can but I am always looking for other ways to resolve my mood swings which are very much as you describe.

I am sorry that I can't be more helpful but I agree with the other ladies that it is impossible to predict what our 'journey' will be like, we just have to do the best we can.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 03:30:18 PM »

Do make sure that you read the responses in both threads ;-)

SarahT

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 06:38:05 PM »

Hi Bonnie

Well you've hit the nail on the head here.
I think you have managed to voice the very question I am also trying to work out an answer too. I am peri and on hrt, estradot and mirena coil.
I have become very much aware that whilst my own hormones are still fluctuation, this does affect my moods and symptoms mixed in with the hrt.

I appreciate everyone's very honest response to your question. There obviously can't be a simple answer. I am learning to try to accept that the way I am feeling, the dips particularly in moods are likely to continue. Easier said than done on the stupidly low days.Whether or not when I am actually lost  menopause when my natural periods stop, if these alters things, well that remains to be seen.

Flossie at one time said she hoped things would feel better than they do. And it obviously does for some. And yet not for others. Meanwhile I need to feel  ok on a good day but try to accept the bad days. It feels a.struggle I know.
 I can  tweak my hrt as and when... And use  this forum for my many questions, and crucially the understanding, honesty and support of everyone on here. I hope I don't sound negative, I have had a few false hopes and dipped down at times, then back up and am trying to be realistic to myself. It's finding a way to cope emotionally for me.

Wishing you well x