Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Water infection  (Read 16104 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Water infection
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2023, 10:13:20 AM »

Once we find a regime that eases symptoms we need to stick with it, upping dosage as necessary. 

Dierdre

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »

Spoke to the doctor this morning and he wants me in this afternoon for tests and examination. He said the vagifem and ovestin shouldn't be burning for hours after insertion after all these years. Also had very bad abdominal pains last night then terrible diarrhoea. He wants to check for infection.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2023, 10:58:07 AM »

Spoke to the doctor this morning and he wants me in this afternoon for tests and examination. He said the vagifem and ovestin shouldn't be burning for hours after insertion after all these years. Also had very bad abdominal pains last night then terrible diarrhoea. He wants to check for infection.

That sounds like a good idea Dierdre. I hope the check up goes okay.

Haydo

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2023, 01:02:05 PM »

Good that you are being seen Deirdre.  I hope you get some answers and relief.

Dierdre

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2023, 04:18:36 PM »

Had swabs taken and have to take a water sample in the morning as just missed the collection to the lab today. Felt all around my tummy and did an internal examination too. All looked healthy except for a discharge high up that looked like thrush, would explain the burning maybe, results next week. I asked if I could get a one dose oral Caneston in the mean time and he said it won't do any harm and if it is thrush I should be ok by the time the results get back. He's not sure about the bladder pain when filling up though so referred me for a fulll pelvic scan.
I asked about the plant sterols and he wasn't sure if they had caused an imbalance but said stop taking them anyway just in case it was that and see if there's an improvement. Ask me if I had any questions I was still worried about and come back if things get worse within the next week, what a lovely, lovely doctor. Feel like a loads been lifted and so much calmer now.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2023, 04:36:43 PM »

Had swabs taken and have to take a water sample in the morning as just missed the collection to the lab today. Felt all around my tummy and did an internal examination too. All looked healthy except for a discharge high up that looked like thrush, would explain the burning maybe, results next week. I asked if I could get a one dose oral Caneston in the mean time and he said it won't do any harm and if it is thrush I should be ok by the time the results get back. He's not sure about the bladder pain when filling up though so referred me for a fulll pelvic scan.
I asked about the plant sterols and he wasn't sure if they had caused an imbalance but said stop taking them anyway just in case it was that and see if there's an improvement. Ask me if I had any questions I was still worried about and come back if things get worse within the next week, what a lovely, lovely doctor. Feel like a loads been lifted and so much calmer now.

I am so happy to hear the Dr was so nice. It would be great if this was all down to thrush and the pill gets rid of it.

Dierdre

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2023, 06:18:49 PM »

I'm hoping that too but it won't hurt to have a scan anyway to check alls well.

Haydo

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2023, 07:33:35 PM »

It sounds as if you have a very good doctor.  The fact that you have been referred for a scan to check all is ok is reassuring as well.  I hope things settle for you soon, 

holidaylover

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2023, 02:58:14 PM »

Diedre, I hope you're feeling a bit better.  I've been back to the doctors today because my symptoms are continuing.  I've had three lots of antibiotics which have done nothing.  I saw a nurse practitioner today and she has presribed me another weeks lot of A/B's but I took a water sample down with me and she is sending it away to the hospital.  It really was an awful colour and she said it had blood in it again and something else but cant remember what.  If it shows a different kind of infection I will have to change to a different antibiotic.  She has also recommended a scan after prodding my stomach.  I asked if I might have an infection caused by the smear test I had a few weeks ago and she has given we 2 different swabs to do high vaginal swabs at home.  I've never done this before and wondered if anyone else has.  Not too sure how high I need to go with these so any advice welcome. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2023, 03:16:16 PM »

Diedre, I hope you're feeling a bit better.  I've been back to the doctors today because my symptoms are continuing.  I've had three lots of antibiotics which have done nothing.  I saw a nurse practitioner today and she has presribed me another weeks lot of A/B's but I took a water sample down with me and she is sending it away to the hospital.  It really was an awful colour and she said it had blood in it again and something else but cant remember what.  If it shows a different kind of infection I will have to change to a different antibiotic.  She has also recommended a scan after prodding my stomach.  I asked if I might have an infection caused by the smear test I had a few weeks ago and she has given we 2 different swabs to do high vaginal swabs at home.  I've never done this before and wondered if anyone else has.  Not too sure how high I need to go with these so any advice welcome.

I am so sorry to hear you are still suffering with this. How awful for you.  :( I really hope they can get to the bottom of this and make you feel better.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2023, 08:16:46 PM »

Why couldn't the Nurse do the swabs  :-\ there's too much risk of cross infection at home as well as delay in getting samples to a Lab.

It may be an embedded infection, so you should ask for a referral to an appropriate consultant.  The colour mayB caused by blood in the sample. 

Dierdre

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2023, 09:40:51 PM »

Got my results today and it's thrush, seems the Caneston one dose I took a few weeks ago didn't get rid of it and I've been thinking it's just a flare up or bladder problems. I've got both now. Been given Caneston pessary this time so hope that shifts it. If not then it's back again.
I can't understand why the nurse didnt do the swabs holidaylover, they could have been on the way to the lab now.
When I had mine done he went high up near the cervix so I'd go as high as comfortable.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2023, 07:41:50 AM »

Got my results today and it's thrush, seems the Caneston one dose I took a few weeks ago didn't get rid of it and I've been thinking it's just a flare up or bladder problems. I've got both now. Been given Caneston pessary this time so hope that shifts it. If not then it's back again.
I can't understand why the nurse didnt do the swabs holidaylover, they could have been on the way to the lab now.
When I had mine done he went high up near the cervix so I'd go as high as comfortable.

It is good to know you have thrush as you can treat it. I do find with thrush treatment, one never seems to shift it for me. I hope you can clear it and start to feel better again.

Minusminnie

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2023, 08:03:57 AM »

Got my results today and it's thrush, seems the Caneston one dose I took a few weeks ago didn't get rid of it

Sincerely hope that the pessary solves it for you Diedre. 

Do you mind me asking which type of one dose you used ?

I keep one box in our medical box in case i need to use it to rule thrush out.  The current one dose i have is a Canestan one but have used lloyds one before.  Consultant at one time told me that thrush is systemic anyway and that a one dose should do it. I wonder if they have changed a formula  :-\ have you always used the same type ?

holidaylover

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2023, 08:36:59 AM »

Well the swabs have been handed into surgery and will get sent off this morning. ( I don't know why the nurse couldn't do it, as if I haven't done it successfully and there happens to be an infection, it might be missed, then that will be my fault.)   I now have had the surgery on the phone wanting me down for blood tests so I'm panicking a bit.  Anybody know why this would be?   I'm trying really hard no to consult Dr Google.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11