Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Has anyone had success with HRT for osteoporosis? Or Bisphos? Or all natural?  (Read 2257 times)

HellsBells

I will have to decide on treatment for my osteoporosis. I have looked at the way bisphosphonates work and I feel I would ruin my bones that way. My GP has said that they are 'cost effective' and the ones which grow bone are too expensive to be prescribed unless a fracture or fractures have been sustained or the bisphosphonates are not tolerated. Have a look at the numbers on this NHS guide to treatment (last page). In terms of fracture reduction they hardly make a dent.

https://www.derbyshiremedicinesmanagement.nhs.uk/assets/Clinical_Guidelines/Formulary_by_BNF_chapter_prescribing_guidelines/BNF_chapter_6/Osteoporosis_Guideline.pdf

HRT seems the most 'natural' drug approach in that progesterone grows bone and estrogen slows down/manages the clearing out of old.

I would like to just do weights, supplements and diet but I don't think I have the bottle. Despite doing cancer without chemo and radio, I haven't got the fight (or the youth) to do this that way. And it will be years before I can see the effects. It could be too late by then.

I haven't started the journey yet - how have you all done with this?

Stockport1965

I went on HRT for OP. It has really improved my scores. I wouldn't touch bisphosphonates with a barge pole!

Limpy

Bisphosphonates are cheap which is why they are the first thing that's offered. I couldn't cope with and now an on Denosumab, good and points with that also. Not sure HRT by itself would be enough for me to deal with the osteoporosis though.

Stockport1965

Bisphosphonates are cheap which is why they are the first thing that's offered. I couldn't cope with and now an on Denosumab, good and points with that also. Not sure HRT by itself would be enough for me to deal with the osteoporosis though.

Is that Prolia?  If you cannot tolerate bisphosphonates then it was a risk having Prolia (if you can't tolerate prolia, you'd have to go back to AA).  https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/denosumab-60mg-prolia-increased-risk-of-multiple-vertebral-fractures-after-stopping-or-delaying-ongoing-treatment?fbclid=IwAR29lNFdCULYQtbyUOr0AydjgqvH-rH9N2MJQ1wtD3fAQs9BJvphaS_dUFo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 06:48:13 AM by Stockport1965 »

Limpy

Is that Prolia?  If you cannot tolerate bisphosphonates then it was a risk having Prolia (if you can't tolerate prolia, you'd have to go back to AA).  https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/denosumab-60mg-prolia-increased-risk-of-multiple-vertebral-fractures-after-stopping-or-delaying-ongoing-treatment?fbclid=IwAR29lNFdCULYQtbyUOr0AydjgqvH-rH9N2MJQ1wtD3fAQs9BJvphaS_dUFo

Yes it is Prolia. I had an issue with it as it exacerbated my MS making life quite unpleasant for a month after each injection (2 a year). I was initially told I would only need it for 5 years, so did the first 5 years then asked about getting off it only to be told that given I still had osteopenia I was at high risk of breaking a femur if I stopped having the injections. Now here's the thing, there is no way on earth that I'm going back in AA but what on earth do I do?

Stockport1965

Yes it is Prolia. I had an issue with it as it exacerbated my MS making life quite unpleasant for a month after each injection (2 a year). I was initially told I would only need it for 5 years, so did the first 5 years then asked about getting off it only to be told that given I still had osteopenia I was at high risk of breaking a femur if I stopped having the injections. Now here's the thing, there is no way on earth that I'm going back in AA but what on earth do I do?

If you cannot go on AA, you MUST keep up the Prolia. There's a huge risk of rebound fractures otherwise. I hate it when I read on fb groups about this.