Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi , I’m new (Perimenopause) & confused)  (Read 2567 times)

Abasto

• First Flush
Hi , I’m new (Perimenopause) & confused)
« on: March 18, 2023, 05:45:20 PM »

Hi everyone , I’m 46 years old and started having symptoms a few years ago but they have seemed to have got a lot worse over these past months .

I spoke with my Dr and she was just going to blame it all on depression and anxiety, yes I do have a history with that and still do , but it feels more if that makes sense .  I then mentioned could it be the Perimenopause that is contributing to all these symptoms , she said yes.. She mentioned this website and said do all the research on hrt and then get back to me .

I’m getting overwhelmed with all the different types of hrt , I mean patches , gel , pumps , pills , etc . I have no idea which one I would like to try ..  So kind of confused.  I read somewhere if you have family history (my dad suffers with blood clots in the leg) of DVT , patches are maybe best .

What did you try first ?

Sorry for the Essay. TIA

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi , I’m new (Perimenopause) & confused)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 05:52:51 PM »

You essay away to your heart's content -  :welcomemm:

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use, to chart progress.  Peri-menopause can be the years when we realise that periods are doing strange things as well as various aches and pains, flushing, anxiety, depression become noticeable.

There are various ways of delivering hormone replacement therapy.  When did your Dad have DVT, is he under a Consultant/GP.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 05:59:19 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. It is great your GP knows of this forum but telling you to do your own research tells me she does not know anything about HRT herself. You may like to ask her to refer you to an NHS menopause clinic.

I personally would try an oestrogen patch first on the lowest dose which is 25. I would then wait a few weeks and if all is well try a progesterone. Common progesterone used are the mirena coil and ultrogestan. The reason I suggest this is for some women taking both oestrogen and progesterone at the same time means you are unsure which one you are reacting too (if you do react, many do not)

If you do not like this idea you could try a combination patch which will have both oestrogen and progesterone in it.

HRT can be so overwhelming and you are not alone feeling this way. I do not understand all the different types either. :)

Abasto

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 09:16:00 AM »

You essay away to your heart's content -  :welcomemm:

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use, to chart progress.  Peri-menopause can be the years when we realise that periods are doing strange things as well as various aches and pains, flushing, anxiety, depression become noticeable.

There are various ways of delivering hormone replacement therapy.  When did your Dad have DVT, is he under a Consultant/GP.

It’s quite some time ago , he is on blood thinners now .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 09:17:47 AM »

Morning.  I would ask to be referred to a dedicated menopause clinic. 

Abasto

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. It is great your GP knows of this forum but telling you to do your own research tells me she does not know anything about HRT herself. You may like to ask her to refer you to an NHS menopause clinic.

I personally would try an oestrogen patch first on the lowest dose which is 25. I would then wait a few weeks and if all is well try a progesterone. Common progesterone used are the mirena coil and ultrogestan. The reason I suggest this is for some women taking both oestrogen and progesterone at the same time means you are unsure which one you are reacting too (if you do react, many do not)

If you do not like this idea you could try a combination patch which will have both oestrogen and progesterone in it.

HRT can be so overwhelming and you are not alone feeling this way. I do not understand all the different types either. :)

Not sure I like the idea of the coil . I will have to make another drs appointment to discuss this further . 

Abasto

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 02:54:42 PM »

Morning.  I would ask to be referred to a dedicated menopause clinic.

I don’t think we have one in my area .