Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: is my hrt too high  (Read 1446 times)

Gilla999

Re: is my hrt too high
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 10:04:26 AM »

Ladies can I just jump in and ask a question, as I have also recently started taking 10mg of Amitryptiline and it's the only thing allowing me to get some sleep at the moment. I'm keen to understand the logic behind why it would start to contribute towards insomnia? I am very aware that these sedating ADs all become less effective over time, but I haven't ever heard of any of them (Ami, Mirt etc) contributing towards insomnia!

Katherine

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 11:23:32 AM »

Gilla999 I have some thoughts on this. Although I haven’t tried amitryptiline I have noticed this with utrogestan. Last month I forgot to have my 3 day break from it and I felt like I had too much in my system, same thing happens if I eat too close to taking it, and it was hard to get to sleep whereas usually it would help me get to sleep. Also I’ve found the effects of utrogestan are more pronounced when I take magnesium too, so I’ve stopped the magnesium reluctantly. Same thing with lavender, if you use too much it can be stimulating instead of relaxing. What I’m trying to say is, although the dose of amitrypriline might be the same it might be something else has changed and is interacting with it. Hope that makes sense. Also I find sleep deprivation can cause insomnia and anxiety, and hormones, so what you think is causing the insomnia may not be. 

discogirl

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 05:51:04 PM »

Ladies can I just jump in and ask a question, as I have also recently started taking 10mg of Amitryptiline and it's the only thing allowing me to get some sleep at the moment. I'm keen to understand the logic behind why it would start to contribute towards insomnia? I am very aware that these sedating ADs all become less effective over time, but I haven't ever heard of any of them (Ami, Mirt etc) contributing towards insomnia!

hi gilla999

i dont know it just stopped being sedative for me after a while.

im really glad it works for you. as with hrt i guess we're all different xxx

discogirl

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 05:54:55 PM »

Gilla999 I have some thoughts on this. Although I haven’t tried amitryptiline I have noticed this with utrogestan. Last month I forgot to have my 3 day break from it and I felt like I had too much in my system, same thing happens if I eat too close to taking it, and it was hard to get to sleep whereas usually it would help me get to sleep. Also I’ve found the effects of utrogestan are more pronounced when I take magnesium too, so I’ve stopped the magnesium reluctantly. Same thing with lavender, if you use too much it can be stimulating instead of relaxing. What I’m trying to say is, although the dose of amitrypriline might be the same it might be something else has changed and is interacting with it. Hope that makes sense. Also I find sleep deprivation can cause insomnia and anxiety, and hormones, so what you think is causing the insomnia may not be.

hi katherine

theres an awful lot of sense in what youve just said.

i used to take magnesium and like you ive stopped as it seemed to interfer with my amity. when i done some research on this it appears that magnesium can somehow sort of strengthen the amity in a way. i'll try and find the article if i can. xxx

discogirl

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 05:56:40 PM »

Hi discogirl,

I had sore heavy breasts when I started on oestrogel and it lasted a few months then completely went away and I haven’t had that problem for ages now. So you might just need to give it time. X

thanks katherine i'll bear that in mind.

thanks for replying xxx

discogirl

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 06:01:35 PM »

hi katherine

i managed to find that study

'This study was conducted to investigate whether magnesium modifies the antinociceptive effect of the tricyclic antidepressant amitriptyline in mice, as assessed by the hot-plate test. Amitriptyline (10 mg/kg i.p.) showed a significant analgesic activity. Magnesium sulphate (20 mg/kg i.p.) alone had no effect but it potentiated the antinociceptive effect of amitrypline'

Katherine

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 07:12:57 PM »

That’s really interesting discogirl. I will take a look at that. It’s so complex isn’t it, and it seems to be all trial and error, but we are getting there! Xxx

discogirl

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 08:19:01 PM »

That’s really interesting discogirl. I will take a look at that. It’s so complex isn’t it, and it seems to be all trial and error, but we are getting there! Xxx

hi katherine

it is trial and error however you're correct ee are getting there.....slowly.

take care xxx

Gilla999

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 10:18:51 AM »

It's so interesting isn't, how much interaction there can be between things. And I personally am on a HELL of a lot of medication at th moment, all due to a sort of domino affect caused by my hormones.

Wishing you ladies all well  :)

discogirl

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 11:44:33 AM »

It's so interesting isn't, how much interaction there can be between things. And I personally am on a HELL of a lot of medication at th moment, all due to a sort of domino affect caused by my hormones.

Wishing you ladies all well  :)

hi gilla999

yes even stuff i didnt think would interact with each other does xx
Pages: 1 [2]