Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Statins & Side Effects  (Read 4252 times)

Ayesha

Statins & Side Effects
« on: January 26, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »

Anyone on statins remember when they first took them, did you have side effects whilst they settled in the body and for how long. Did you eventually give up on them?
I am on my second day of taking them and am feeling jittery and tired but hoping that will settle down.

I would love to know others experiences of statins, yourself or anyone you know!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Statins & Side Effects
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »

DH and I have been taking Avastatin for 5 years with no symptoms at all.  I expected aches and pains, but nowt. 

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »

It’s very individual, isn’t everything  ::), my OH had aches & pains leading onto muscle pain. He can’t take any of them now, but he’s been put on Praluent, a self administered injection once a month it works in a different way to statins.
Good luck hope you are one of the lucky ones & don’t have problems with them.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 03:05:05 PM »

Certainly agree everyone’s experience can be so different.
I do suffer with muscle weakness but although I ache and have this jittery feeling with raised blood pressure added to the mix, the muscle ache is not too bad so I’m hoping everything will calm down. 

CLKD, what time of day do you take the statin? I have been prescribed the same and am taking it in the evening.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:20:02 PM by Ayesha »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:26 PM »

Yep.  At night with my 10mg of AD.  5mg AD in the morning with my Omperazol. 

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 07:03:26 PM »

Thanks CLKD. I've just read that they help with reducing blood pressure so will be persevering with them! 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 07:54:36 PM »

Statins are prescribed to avoid strokes.

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 10:51:08 AM »

Well here I am four days in taking statins and the side effects are horrendous. I don't know whether I have to wait for them to settle or should I stop taking them now, my brain is a huge foggy mess.

I know there are alternatives which give less side effects that I might try, perhaps!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »

Personally I would stop.  Give the body a rest whilst exploring other medications. 

Songbird

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 12:18:16 PM »

Hi Ayesha
My hubby stopped taking atorvastatin as, within a week, he was getting horrendous muscle aches and cramp everywhere. He persevered for a month but doc told him to stop as it was getting no better. He has to wait 3 months before trying a different one (no idea why he has to wait 3 months though)..

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 02:28:32 PM »

Well here I am four days in taking statins and the side effects are horrendous. I don't know whether I have to wait for them to settle or should I stop taking them now, my brain is a huge foggy mess.

I know there are alternatives which give less side effects that I might try, perhaps!
I had blood tests a month ago and have high cholesterol 6.9. The doctor recommended statins but I refused as I want to try to get it down with life style changes. I already eat a healthy diet so I'm focusing on exercise and reducing stress levels, also changed to Benecol butter as this is supposed to work.
I will have another test in 3 months.
Were you not offered this option first?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 02:32:10 PM »

Research has shown that 'benecol' doesn't make much difference, that it's more a marketing ploy.  Our GP explained it really well, DH went the diet route whilst I went onto statins.  Of course, I can't remember the why's or where4s as it's a few years ago  :-\

If a medication that isn't immediately necessary makes a patient ill, why continue ? Especially if there are alternatives.

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 02:41:07 PM »

No experience of stations but you mentioned you have muscle weakness. Mine was cured by taking testosterone.

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 02:48:20 PM »

Hi Dierdre. I have always been on a healthy diet, including exercises and always used Benecol spread, but that hasn't made a difference to my 7.2 level.
I know people taking statins that have no problem at all and I was happy to have a go, but I nearly ended up in A&E because my blood pressure went through the roof. It's now obvious I should not take them and will have to try something more to lower my levels. I am now waiting for the effects off the statins to wear off but I can still feel my heart racing away!
Just to say I managed to reverse my prediabetic diagnoses, I must be doing something right!

CLKD, I might go back on butter, least it will have more taste! 

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 02:53:49 PM »

No experience of stations but you mentioned you have muscle weakness. Mine was cured by taking testosterone.

Glad you found the cure, Sheila. I was doing well with exercises that I didn't need to think about testosterone, I just need the effects of the statins to wear off to get back to fitness, thankfully I was only on them 4 days for them to cause long term damage. 
Pages: [1] 2