Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT question (I'm out of synch)  (Read 3527 times)

Emline

• First Flush
HRT question (I'm out of synch)
« on: January 04, 2023, 06:29:16 PM »

Hi there

I'm 47 and decided to try HRT after being inspired by Davina MCall's programmes on the topic and struggling myself with low moods, fatigue and generally 'not feeling right'. My periods, which have been mostly very regular since menarche, also started to skip and move about last year so I'm pretty certain I'm in perimenopause. About 6 months ago I spoke to my GP who prescribed the Evorel patches which I use ongoingly and since I'm still bleeding somewhat (I'm not on any contraceptive) I was advised by my GP that I take 2 tablets of progesterone per day in the 2 weeks leading up to my next start of bleed. I was then of the understanding from my GP that any irregularities would calm down and bleeds would become regular again. This has happened mostly until recently when for my last period I was over a week late and when it arrived it was very very light despite experiencing a fair bit of the usual sore breasts and pre menstrual symptoms. I thought it best to stick to my original 2 weeks on 2 weeks off routine even though I was late which meant I started taking it a week later. To my surprise I started bleeding a few days later at my usual heavier rate yet with no 'warning symptoms' and seemingly out of the blue.....or perhaps taking the progesterone triggered this bleed? I just don't know. What I do know is that I'm now completely out of synch with when I'm supposed to be taking the progesterone along the lines of my original 'routine'. I understand the progesterone is meant to protect the lining of the womb before a bleed and technically this only just happened on the last occasion which is worrying.

I've asked my GP about what to do with progesterone when the bleeds move around like this yet didn't get a satisfying/clear response. I've tried looking at other websites but can't find anything addressing this issue and all my other friends on HRT are in slightly different situations so can't help. The Utrogestan (progesterone) leaflet, whilst advising taking 2 tablets 2 weeks leading up to the start of a bleed, does also mention that single tablets can be taken every day (except on the actual period days) as an alternative. I do have one friend who does this yet any other guidance I've found around this approach is often for women who have not had a period for 12 months or more (which is her situation).

What do I do? Do I stop taking progesterone now that I'm out of synch with my periods and 'start again' with a new cycle in a couple of weeks? Or do I stop taking progesterone, stick with the patches and wait until my next bleed and start taking P again 10 days after I stop bleeding? Or do I keep going with my current 2 week regime despite it being out of synch? Or should I switch to 1 tablet a day throughout? Or anything else? On the whole HRT has helped my initial troubling symptoms so I'm pleased to be carrying on with it yet I'd love to get this clarified since I want to keep using HRT safely.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Flossieteacake

Re: HRT question (I'm out of synch)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 06:38:56 PM »

Hello Emline and welcome. Ultrogestan is very complicated for me to understand but do not worry as many members are on it and I am sure one will reply to you soon. :)

Carmen_tries_to_smile

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 04:00:14 PM »

Hi, so I have the same problem and asked my gynae about it … she said it isn’t a problem…. The main reason for taking Ultegestatone / progesterone is to protect the lining of your womb …, doesn’t really matter when you have your period just that you have it…. Mine has never synched to the ultragan  cycle the younger you are the more your natural period cycle, outweighs the meds)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 05:25:52 PM »

I found my own cycle was always stronger than the hrt one. It can be difficult in peri because your own cycle length can change. If you have a more or less regular cycle you can alter the utro to fit in with it but if you don't just keep taking it as per thr hrt cycle. Can you tell when you ovulate? If you can you could start utro a couple of days after and it should then be in step with your own bleed (that's what I did but I think many people can't tell).

Emline

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 11:56:10 PM »

Thank you both Carmen_tries_to_smile and sheila99. That's very reassuring to know and interesting that I can try looking out for when I next ovulate and synch it with that. Much appreciated!