Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Postmenopausal  (Read 2111 times)

Karreb73

• First Flush
Postmenopausal
« on: January 04, 2023, 03:18:53 PM »

Hi and thankyou for letting me join the forum
I am post menopause for 4 years
But every month I get some symptoms like pms anxiety constantly needing a wee amd I don't sleep I get a burning sensation which is different to anxiety I'm so worried ots something to be concerned about it lasts around 6 days amd then settles again the main issue is not sleeping amd anxiety
Does anyone else go through this
And if so what has helped
Thankyou for reading

Dotty

Re: Postmenopausal
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 03:38:51 PM »

Hello….the only thing that helped me is HRT. x

Karreb73

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 06:26:43 PM »

I didn't realy have Any issues my periods just stopped but this is driving me mad
I am on antidepressants for anxiety but it happens about 6 days and then I feel pk again

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 06:37:00 PM »

Hello Karreb73. Welcome to the forum. The constant needing to wee is known as vaginal atrophy. Low oestrogen causes all sorts of bladder and vaginal symptoms such as not being able to empty the bladder, constant needing to wee, UTI type symptoms, pain, dryness. You need to get some localised oestrogen to help the area. This can be in the form of a pessary or cream and it will also help to get some vaginal moisturiser. Yes and Sylk are nice and gentle.

Not sleeping and anxiety are sadly very common meno symptoms too. I am sorry you are dealing with this but you are not alone.

Karreb73

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 06:40:06 PM »

Yeah constantly need a wee and sometimes my bladder never feels empty

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »

Yeah constantly need a wee and sometimes my bladder never feels empty

This can be helped. You can ask for Ovestin which is a cream. This cream can be inserted and also applied to the outer area. :)

Karreb73

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 06:59:42 PM »

It's so strange ot seems to be like I'm getting pms symptoms

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 07:04:32 PM »

It's so strange ot seems to be like I'm getting pms symptoms

That sounds meno related to me. Have you spoken to your GP about it?

Karreb73

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 07:20:27 PM »

Yeah she did offer hrt but I'm so worried about it  it's 5 days of hell them I'm okey again

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 07:26:57 PM »

Yeah she did offer hrt but I'm so worried about it  it's 5 days of hell them I'm okey again

I can understand you feel worried to start HRT. Perhaps starting with localised oestrogen for the bladder issues would help? This is mild but vital. The trouble with vaginal atrophy is we need to treat it as soon as possible to avoid it worsening. There are many threads about it on here.

Karreb73

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 07:35:01 PM »

Is it common to get these symptoms post menopause I thought hormones would have settled by now

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 07:45:16 PM »

Is it common to get these symptoms post menopause I thought hormones would have settled by now

Post meno does not mean everything is back to how it used to be. Have a look in this section and you will see many post meno women who have on going symptoms.

I know I too thought post meno meant all symptoms would go until I joined this forum.

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 07:51:34 PM »

My anxiety and insomnia were both caused by oestrogen deficiency, it sounds to me that yours probably are too. Sadly a trouble free transition to meno doesn't mean you won't have problems later on. The ovaries still do 'something' when your periods stop and before they shrivel up completely so that probably explains the cyclical nature of your symptoms.
As above, some women do find they are symptom free post meno but others the problems are lifelong. Vaginal atrophy is one of the conditions that doesn't go away.

Songbird

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 07:54:15 PM »

Hi!
I started HRT in the form of patches and local oestrogen (the latter for vaginal atrophy) a year ago and have noticed a huge improvement in ALL symptoms (including anxiety and insomnia). I was 5 years postmeno by the time I started but had been suffering with every symptom in the book for years prior to that. The only regret I personally have is that I didn't act quicker.
The UTI/cystitis type symptoms I had were chronic and occurred often. I now no longer suffer from this horrible menopausal symptom.
I do understand anxiety relating to starting HRT but there have been so many success stories and relief gained from having these horrendous symptoms controlled. That's what I think anyway  ;)

Karreb73

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »

Thankyou ny gp did mention ovaries to I am so tired not slept for 3 nights hope ot settles soon so can get a bit more sleep I ok during day apart from being tired but come bedtime it starts again the burning from the inside doesn't feel like anxiety
Pages: [1] 2