Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How long til the mood swings even out?  (Read 1228 times)

Peri2022

How long til the mood swings even out?
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:19:13 AM »

Hello again! Some of you may remember that I posted a few months ago about trying to start HRT. Unfortunately I had a few really bad reactions to what was probably too high a dose, and I was so shaken up that I stopped cold turkey.

Over the last few months I’ve now had crippling depression in the latter half of my cycle, which was really scary and made me realise that there really is something hormonal going on that needs treatment. So I’ve dipped my toe back into HRT, starting on 25mcg Estradot and now I can just about tolerate 37.5 although it does give me a bit of the ‘wired’ feeling I had on 50.

It’s only been 10 days on HRT which I know is very early. I’ve definitely noticed an improvement (no more awful morning anxiety) and even a few hours here and there of happiness - something I haven’t felt in a long time - but I still have big mood dips in between, feeling low for no reason.

How long til those of you on HRT actually noticed a steady difference in mood? As I said, I know it’s early days but I could really use some hope! Thanks in advance.

discogirl

Re: How long til the mood swings even out?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 10:27:48 AM »

Hi Peri2022,

Im post meno, and had really bad anxiety along with insomnia.

I started hrt in august on patches initially and now on gel which I much prefer and I think it took a good 3 months of getting my estrogen increased slowly but surely before I saw an improvement on my anxiety. But it did improve.

I really is trial and effort, and lots of time, going too quickly and your body will react so you're right to take it slowly.

Take care xx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 11:10:31 AM »

Mine was anxiety rather than depression but it took 3 months for it go completely, very much up and down before that.

Peri2022

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 01:19:42 PM »

Thank you ladies, I know it will take time but it’s very reassuring to hear that things do eventually change. Honestly my mood is like the weather! This morning I felt so gloomy and now I’m just fine. It makes it so hard to plan anything, not knowing how I will feel from one day (or hour) to the next.

I’ve been off work for a while due to mental health so I think I’m just impatient…need to live in the moment and accept it rather than getting so frustrated with myself and the pace of improvement!

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 11:33:27 AM »

Hello Peri2022

I am another sufferer of mood swings and like you, mine change like the weather. They are a known symptom of the menopause or indeed any hormonal upheaval such as puberty. My trusty meno book gives a very good description of them and it is comforting that they are 'on the list '.

Having said all that I hate being on this emotional rollercoaster and I long for the day when I can be back in balance. If I find a magic formula I will be sure to let you know!

Take care.

K.