Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 8871 times)

Curlygirl

Supplements
« on: December 08, 2022, 02:25:34 PM »

Good afternoon ladies

I already take evening primrose oil and have done for years. I also take a good multivitamin for over 50’s

What have you found are the best supplements for Perimenopause

❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 05:16:54 PM »

Reading recently from a Gastroenterologist who suggested that apart from VitD the body shouldn't require any supplements ....... with a good balanced diet the body helps itself.  Many supplements have little active ingredient, mainly made up of fillers/outer coating. 

What would you like to ease? 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 07:23:25 PM »

I take evening primrose oil and also calcium with vit D prescribed by my Dr for osteopenia,like clkd says,unless you are lacking a certain vitamin,you shouldn't really need supplements,as the body just wees it out,like you,a few years back I took an over 50s multivitamin,only to be told by my Dr my vit b12 was through the roof,the one vitamin your body stores,so do be careful x

Curlygirl

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 06:45:44 AM »

Thanks both for your replies.

I have celiac disease so I don’t absorb vitamins and minerals the same as everyone else so my doctor advised to take a good multivitamin along with iron tablets as i am also iron deficient most of the time due to the celiac

I have taken evening primrose oil for years as prescribed by hospital consultant for breast cysts.

I was just wondering what those of you who are not on HRT take if anything to ease any symptoms you may have

My worst symptom at the moment is anxiety and I am coping as best as I can ❤️

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 08:14:50 AM »

Ah,that's clearer,I'm not on HRT either and although don't have coeliac, I have a wheat allergy. That's interesting re the primrose oil,I didn't know it helped with breast cysts of which I've had plenty, I was told it was good for anxiety and that's the reason I take but I also take CBD gummies and since being on them,I'm so much better,it could be just coincidence but I'll keep on with them for now,Are they something you could try?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 09:21:54 AM »

Anti-anxiety medication ?  I had 'valium' as necessary .  My GP also prescribed Betablockas to ease early morning surges which worked well.  'Bachs' rescue remedy mouth spray, don't know whether it works: I would use it when necessary and get on.  I never required a 2nd dose.

Relaxation therapy.  Swimming.  Brisk walking.  Deep bubble bath.

Is there anything that triggers anxiety 4 U?

Curlygirl

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 11:19:54 AM »

Ah,that's clearer,I'm not on HRT either and although don't have coeliac, I have a wheat allergy. That's interesting re the primrose oil,I didn't know it helped with breast cysts of which I've had plenty, I was told it was good for anxiety and that's the reason I take but I also take CBD gummies and since being on them,I'm so much better,it could be just coincidence but I'll keep on with them for now,Are they something you could try?

I didn’t know about the evening primrose oil for breast cysts until I was referred to the hospital for them. I had them so bad I could hardly move and definitely couldn’t drive. The hey really did help and been on them ever since. I didn’t know it was good for anxiety.

Never thought of CBD gummies either

Good to talk and see what other are taking ❤️

Curlygirl

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 11:25:09 AM »

Anti-anxiety medication ?  I had 'valium' as necessary .  My GP also prescribed Betablockas to ease early morning surges which worked well.  'Bachs' rescue remedy mouth spray, don't know whether it works: I would use it when necessary and get on.  I never required a 2nd dose.

Relaxation therapy.  Swimming.  Brisk walking.  Deep bubble bath.

Is there anything that triggers anxiety 4 U?

I have been given Propanolol I for anxiety but all it does is make me feel faint. I will discuss other options next month at my GP appointment. I have been on Sertraline recently but found it was helpful at first but then the anxiety crept back in again

For me it’s the early hours of the morning it starts to build. Some days I’m ok and other’s it’s horrendous. Suddenly I get anxious being in the house on my own, or driving to places I’ve been going to for years

Myself and hubby do a lot of walking together and I find that it helps a lot, but when I’m on my own I find it hard to get myself out of the house 🫤

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 11:28:08 AM »

Sounds 'normal' for peri-menopause.  When do you take the Sertraline?  R U able to up the dose for a short while?

Propranolol is a blood pressure medication, R U faint on standing for example?  Do U have a home BP kit?

Curlygirl

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 12:00:54 PM »

Sounds 'normal' for peri-menopause.  When do you take the Sertraline?  R U able to up the dose for a short while?

Propranolol is a blood pressure medication, R U faint on standing for example?  Do U have a home BP kit?

Am sensitive to most medications and upping the dose of Sertraline any further give me severe and rare side effects 🫤 but a low dose doesn’t affect me but isn’t enough to help anymore

Yes faint on standing when taking the propanolol. I know a number of people who take it for anxiety including my son and are ok with it .

We do have a home blood pressure monitor and it’s low when taking the propanolol. Will discuss with GP next month

I’ve heard a number of women say they suffer with the morning anxiety. By the evening time I feel much more relaxed

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »

Think the mornings are worst for most women as it seems to be when cortisol/adrenaline plays it's worst tricks on us  :(

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 03:22:24 PM »

Yep.  The 'waking' hormone, well I don't need to be woken in a rush!   >:(

Curlygirl

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 09:05:29 AM »

Yep.  The 'waking' hormone, well I don't need to be woken in a rush!   >:(

Every morning for me at about 3-4am  :-\

Harmony

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 12:39:42 PM »

I take 300mg Magasorb Ultra (magnesium citrate) from Natures Best, who produce good quality and reasonably priced supplements. They're cheaper, and often higher potency, than Holland and Barrett. Most people are deficient in magnesium, and it's involved in so many bodily processes that it's one of the best supplements to take. It's good for mental health generally, and since I increased the dose from 150-300mg I feel less anxious, my mood has improved, and I'm sleeping better. It can have a slightly laxative effect, so it's best to start on 150mg and see how you get on with it. I haven't have any problems since upping the dose. They also sell it as a powder if you struggle with large tablets, but that works out more expensive. You can take up to 400mg a day. If you decide to try it, don't buy a cheap magnesium oxide product as that's very poorly absorbed.

You can also use magnesium oil spray, which is well absorbed, and you can make it at home for pennies (google for the recipe) rather than buying expensive sprays. Epsom salts baths are another good way of absorbing magnesium through the skin, good to do a while before going to bed to aid relaxation and sleep.

L-theanine is good for anxiety, also available from Nature's Best. They also make one with lemon balm added, which a friend finds very helpful. If you contact their nutrition advisors you can request a sample, but they'll give you a full refund if you buy a product and find it unsuitable. You can also ask them to suggest which supplements they recommend, as there are others that can help with anxiety, including ashwagandha.

I hope you find something that helps, anxiety is awful. Guided meditation is very good for relaxation, there are some great ones on YouTube. I found a lovely one with gentle ocean waves, I think it was made by The Honest Guys.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 02:11:55 PM by Harmony »

Curlygirl

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 10:31:20 AM »

I take 300mg Magasorb Ultra (magnesium citrate) from Natures Best, who produce good quality and reasonably priced supplements. They're cheaper, and often higher potency, than Holland and Barrett. Most people are deficient in magnesium, and it's involved in so many bodily processes that it's one of the best supplements to take. It's good for mental health generally, and since I increased the dose from 150-300mg I feel less anxious, my mood has improved, and I'm sleeping better. It can have a slightly laxative effect, so it's best to start on 150mg and see how you get on with it. I haven't have any problems since upping the dose. They also sell it as a powder if you struggle with large tablets, but that works out more expensive. You can take up to 400mg a day. If you decide to try it, don't buy a cheap magnesium oxide product as that's very poorly absorbed.

You can also use magnesium oil spray, which is well absorbed, and you can make it at home for pennies (google for the recipe) rather than buying expensive sprays. Epsom salts baths are another good way of absorbing magnesium through the skin, good to do a while before going to bed to aid relaxation and sleep.

L-theanine is good for anxiety, also available from Nature's Best. They also make one with lemon balm added, which a friend finds very helpful. If you contact their nutrition advisors you can request a sample, but they'll give you a full refund if you buy a product and find it unsuitable. You can also ask them to suggest which supplements they recommend, as there are others that can help with anxiety, including ashwagandha.

I hope you find something that helps, anxiety is awful. Guided meditation is very good for relaxation, there are some great ones on YouTube. I found a lovely one with gentle ocean waves, I think it was made by The Honest Guys.

Thanks for your advice harmony
Pages: [1] 2