Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Pre-diabetic diet  (Read 10436 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pre-diabetic diet
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »

Again annual blood test has thrown up anomalies: kidney function 'is low' so tests again in two weeks plus a urine test - which I didn't query what for  :-\

Most afternoons I drop off to sleep for a couple of hours regardless of what kind of night I have had, usually I sleep well apart from busy dreams. 

When do I begin to worry   ???

Foxylady

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2023, 08:58:36 PM »

Just catching up on this thread as mother in law recently advised she is prediabetic, we found diabetes UK sight very good, printed some info off for her - although think it's in one ear & out the other!! 80th bday during the week & wont be told ;) :) ???
Hope you get on ok CLKD, could just be an anomaly which is why they are testing again 'low' doesn't really mean anything unless they talk about something specific so many bloods can be affected by viral illness, meds anyhting really.

Dierdre

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2023, 09:30:52 PM »

Again annual blood test has thrown up anomalies: kidney function 'is low' so tests again in two weeks plus a urine test - which I didn't query what for  :-\

Most afternoons I drop off to sleep for a couple of hours regardless of what kind of night I have had, usually I sleep well apart from busy dreams. 

When do I begin to worry   ???
Could be you've had an infection but not noticed symptoms, hence the urine test.

Taz2

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2023, 10:40:37 PM »

It's probably because you've been flagged up as pre-diabetic CLKD. Kidneys are affected by diabetes and often the first changes are subtle and show no symptoms. Urine test is to check for protein and also your sugar level I would think. My partners kidney function s normal now since he has been eating sensibly to try to reverse the type 2 diabetes. He was overweight though.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2023, 08:16:41 AM »

Such lovely support  :thankyou:

I was told at the last visit that it is safer to stay on the statins  :-\.  Next appt tomorrow  ::)

Last week I weighed slightly under 8st. naked. 

Taz2

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2023, 08:58:36 AM »

It's strange how people think we can't be pre diabetic if we aren't overweight but it's also to do with sugar intake. My partner has cut out as much sugar as possible including certain fruits. He's also upped his daily exercise. He has a 6k fast walk early morning and a shorter one later in the day plus early morning 50 length swim four days a week. Unusually for him he has followed the advice  ;D This s an American site but does give a explanation of prediabetes https://diatribe.org/prediabetes

Good luck with your appointment

Taz x  :hug:

Penguin

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »

Taz2 if you were pre diabetic is there any way you'd know without a blood test? I mean, are there signs? Lots of Type 2 diabetes in my family but always thought I was safe as not overweight so this worries me.

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2023, 09:24:09 AM »

Not as far as I am aware.  Statins raised concerns earlier this year, the annual blood test I think for kidney disease caused by that medication  >:(

Exercise  :o - where does he find the time Taz  :-\

Ive done an hour's weeding ;-)

Penguin

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2023, 09:40:11 AM »

CLKD so you think the statistics causes the low kidney result? I wonder if this is temporary and would normalise if you were able to stop taking them, or are you on them for life?

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2023, 09:47:44 AM »

Usually 1 takes statins for Life. Apparently.  It is certainly the drug causing the anomalies  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2023, 09:52:43 AM »

Taz2 if you were pre diabetic is there any way you'd know without a blood test? I mean, are there signs? Lots of Type 2 diabetes in my family but always thought I was safe as not overweight so this worries me.

No there are no signs but if you have family members with it then your GP should recommend a blood test to check how your body has been behaving insulin wise over the past three months. Both my mum and brother developed type 2 in their 50s and both suffered the consequences of heart problems leading to vascular dementia so I've always had an interest. Sadly there didn't used to be the knowledge about prediabetes then.https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/types-of-diabetes/type-2/prediabetes#:~:text=Diagnosing%20prediabetes&text=The%20most%20common%20test%20will,of%20developing%20type%202%20diabetes.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2023, 09:58:27 AM »

Exercise  :o - where does he find the time Taz  :-\

Ive done an hour's weeding ;-)

He only works three days a week. He's 65 so my toy boy  ;D. He does his 6k at 6 a.m. and the shorter one after he gets in from work. The summer makes things easier. On swimming days he walks later as they are his four days off work days. It's been very hard but he's lost 3 stone since January. It can be a bit isolating as we don't eat together. He also does an eating window from 10.30 a.m. till 8.30 p.m. Only water or black coffee outside those hours. We have to go to the pub earlier nowadays  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »

I would need a toy boy to help me from my amathyst-coloured Lambourghini with the Swiss coloured blue seating and bright yellow hub caps and steering wheel  ;D

Penguin

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2023, 10:11:23 AM »

Thanks this is really interesting, I didn't realise there was a direct genetic link with Type 2, i just thought it was with Type 1. I clearly need to cut down on my sugar (a lot!!!), but seem to be doing the right things aside from that as i eat lots of fibre and veg, plus limited red / processed meat and barely any alcohol due to previously having had colon polyps. I'm nearly 49. It doesn't say how often you need the blood test, I had one done last march in Australia but assume it'd need to be done every year or so, is that right?

Taz2

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »

If you have the first one done and then depending what the result is you can discuss it from there. I think the GP will look at your overall lifestyle and suggest any changes you can make. Mine is every three years. I'm 69 now. My mum and brother both developed it at 53. Both of them were slim and active. My brother died aged 72 but my mum made it to 84.

It's great that we now have the ability to predict the development of type 2 as it's quite a long time between becoming prediabetic and developing the disease .

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6