Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Does "man" offend you?  (Read 59835 times)

jaypo

Does "man" offend you?
« on: November 14, 2022, 08:00:15 AM »

Read in the papers today that Morrison's have changed the name of their gingerbread man to gingerbread person and another store (maybe Tesco) don't have mansize tissues any more but extra large tissues.Sometimes this country makes me shake my head,I'd NEVER purposely offend anyone but being a woman myself,these things don't bother me in the slightest, I have more pressing things to worry about.Maybe I should complain to Morrison's that the word ginger offends my daughter,as she has beautiful long red hair.
I know times they are a changin but is the word man really offensive?

Dotty

Re: Does "man" offend you?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 08:07:11 AM »

:) Doesn’t offend me . x

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 09:04:14 AM »

I find this kind of thing absolutely unbelievable, Jaypo  :cuss: I am certainly not offended. There seems to be more and more of this kind of “thought process”. I do a lot of “shaking my head in disbelief” I have to say.
I wonder what our grandparents would make of it all if they were here   :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 09:31:24 AM »

Woke makes me angry.  Years ago we gave up the word 'gay' ....... now we can't call people her or him !!!  JK Rowling gets a lot of internet flak due to her insistence on continuing to remind others that women give birth, we have periods, women have a womb ..........that we aren't people who bleed, who have a womb etc..

Do those in HQ at Morrisons have nowt better to do and do they not realise that it's a cookie .........

I would complain about the 'ginger' aspect Jaypo.  But then, that's my take on it. 

I am offended by those who won't let Nature 'be'!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 09:32:29 AM »

Also - ginger bread men have never been obviously male ............ would 1 bite that section off first  :whist:

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 01:29:19 PM »

Wasn't it in a story long ago? The gingerbread man? It's only a continuation of that,I just don't know what you can and cannot say these days,JK Rowling got into trouble for saying only women have periods but isn't she correct? And my daughter once told me rather abruptly......that you don't say Eskimo any more,aaaarrggghhh I give up  ;D come winter I'll be building my snow PERSON  ;D

holidaylover

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 03:08:28 PM »

Absolutely not.  I am proud to be a woman, female, whatever, my husband is proud to be a man, male.  We dont want to be called anything different and it should be up to the individual to decide.  Why should someone come along and tell us what words we can and can't use.  I will use whatever words I want, thank you very much!  Actresses can't be called actresses anymore, we must call them actors.  Is that not the word for a male person who acts?  Utter nonsense!  So many snowflakes out there.  Who has time to waste worrying about being constantly offended.  Should we call this website 'Personopause Matters'?!! ;D 

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Oh that DID make me laugh Holidaylover.....personopause  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »

:lol:  at my age I won't even try to remember what people want to 'be known as'.  OK if they change their name: someone we know has done that : anything more addles and already addled brain  ::)

I hate mixed sex Hospital Wards. 

The ginger bread man is a story: Muffin man is mentioned in parts of 'Shrek' quite visibly.  As do many other characters from Nursery Rhymes etc.  Each time I note some that I missed - however many times I've watched the films  ;).   

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 05:00:09 PM »

Seems there are too many people out there get offended easily,I'm totally behind there being no more sexism against women etc but this woke lot and snowflakes make me so angry. Soon there will be no more comedians as they are all terrified of reprisal,such a shame  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »

I turn this on it's head: I will become offended if those who want to be known as 'they' etc., don't accept that I can't remember ..............  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 05:12:20 PM »

Run, run as fast as you can you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread person. Brilliant rhyming

Taz  :-X

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 06:19:28 PM »

;D  ;D

Yep,clkd, I don't get the ones who want to be referred to as "they" THEY are attention seekers as far as I can tell  >:(

discogirl

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 06:41:08 PM »

Read in the papers today that Morrison's have changed the name of their gingerbread man to gingerbread person and another store (maybe Tesco) don't have mansize tissues any more but extra large tissues.Sometimes this country makes me shake my head,I'd NEVER purposely offend anyone but being a woman myself,these things don't bother me in the slightest, I have more pressing things to worry about.Maybe I should complain to Morrison's that the word ginger offends my daughter,as she has beautiful long red hair.
I know times they are a changin but is the word man really offensive?

Doesn't offend me at all, it's ridiculous.

As you say there are far more important things going on in the world than that xx

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 06:45:18 PM »

Absolutely discogirl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34