Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Black Cohosh and Evorel Conti  (Read 4732 times)

EclipseNanna

• First Flush
Black Cohosh and Evorel Conti
« on: November 09, 2022, 12:42:42 PM »

Hi all
Have just started on Evorel Conti patches in the past couple of weeks. My hot flushes and sweats are very frequent and after some research on the NHS website I saw that Black Cohosh supplements have been recommended as possibly helping with symptoms including sweats. I have been taking it for the past three days and have seen a huge change.
Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if taking it with Evorel Conti patches is okay to do?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Black Cohosh and Evorel Conti
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 12:56:00 PM »

I wonder which research that was?

It is recommended that 'alternatives', including Black Cohosh, shouldn't be taken for more than 3 months.  They may interfere with prescribed medications.

Could it be that the patches are 'doing their job'? 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 01:12:27 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I do not know the answer to your question but just wanted to say hello.  :)

Pauline67

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 01:18:51 PM »

Hello eclipsenanna

I'm on evorel conti patches and the first thing that disappeared was my hot flushes, so this could be the patches and not the supplements.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 06:52:14 PM »

Hmm not certain about using black cohosh with evorel conti.......

"People taking other medicines including birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, sedatives, or blood pressure medicine should not take black cohosh without the approval of their doctors."

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-black-cohosh#:~:text=People%20taking%20other%20medicines%20including,the%20approval%20of%20their%20doctors.

MabelBabel

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »

I'm on Everol Conti and the reason I went on it was because of awful debilitating hot flushes. Within 4 weeks they had gone from leaving me soaking wet to dry flushes, then by week 6 they had gone completely. This was the first of my symptoms to stop.
If I were you I'd stop the Cohosh and stick with Conti.

Jayjem

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 02:28:47 PM »

If you are unsure could you ask in Holland and Barrett. They are usually quite knowlegable. I think I would ask my doctor just to be sure. Hope you are ok?

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 10:38:55 PM »

I have a feeling black cohosh works differently to the way hrt works and so might be possible to do both.  Obviously important to check though (I'm not a medical expert), I never took it but I remembered being told some years ago that it doesn't add any hormone to the system, that it works in a different way.  If that's the case I would imagine both are ok.

It's the reason I never took it because I thought if it's not replacing hormone then how effective is it.  But many swear by it. 

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »

This is quite an old post, did you keep taking both Eclipsenanna?
I was just going to add that when I started on Evorel Conti, I was already taking Black Cohosh and my GP encouraged me to keep taking it if it works for me. She is quite keen for us menopusal ladies to take all and anything that works.
At the same time as prescribing Evorel Conti, she recommended red clover as well, I tried that and no, Black cohosh does the job, red clover just looks pretty, leave it in the lawn, it does nothing for hot flushes, ;D

That's interesting though, that she'd have been ok with you taking the red clover.  It is pretty and looks nice on a lawn  ;D but I do remember it really helping my mum with menopausal symptoms and I wonder if it might help with some of mine. 

It does seem that different oestrogens work differently, so maybe it would work differently to the HRT and help with things hrt might not be helping.

I'll see what the doctor says, I'm curious about black cohosh as well because I have read that this works differently to hrt and so shouldn't interfere with that.  No one rely on my info though I don't know enough and read it some time ago.