Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sliding hiatus hernia and h pylori  (Read 2346 times)

monalisa

Sliding hiatus hernia and h pylori
« on: October 19, 2022, 12:24:20 AM »

So after an endoscopy I was diagnosed with gerd a 3cm sliding hiatus hernia along with h pylori which I have had two lots of antibiotics to try to eradicate the h pylori.

I was prescribed ppi which I have not taken due to the contradiction I have read with having h pylori and low stomach acid, so taking ppi is to reduce stomach acid so it’s very confusing?

I have to watch what I eat or I have a terrible pain in between my shoulder blades and a aching in my gums and teeth.

I have read that maybe taking hrt patches has played a part in my gerd and h hernia?

I am also suffering with anxiety which I have never had before , I am 63 and have had several operations to do with my bladder and sinuses, can anyone identify with my symptoms?
Or any advice to offer please ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:35:04 AM by monalisa »

Taz2

Re: Sliding hiatus hernia and h pylori
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 06:30:37 AM »

Hi monalisa. Although you may have read about ppi being contraindicated in the treatment of h.pylori it is part of the standard triple treatment needed to eradicate it. The two antibiotics work together with the ppi. Have you been given Omeprazole as this is the one that has had the best results in this situation.

I haven't had h.pylori but do have a sliding hiatus hernia which I have a ppi for. Without it I suffer from GERD/GORD and developed quite severe oesophagitis which is ulceration of the oesophagus.

The treatment of h.pylori together with hiatus hernia is finely balanced and not clear cut. Have you been given a follow up appointment yet? I think it's important to explain that you've only taken two of the three parts of treatment to give a clearer picture. From how I understand it the ppi is given to reduce the stomach acid which allows the h.pylori to grow sufficiently to enable the antibiotics to get a 'good hold' and then eliminate it. I'm not an expert though  :)

The pain in your back could be to do with the hernia or the ulceration in your stomach. I haven't read that hrt patches lead to h.pylori but all HRT carries a risk of gallbladder problems which can cause pain as you describe. Keep a note of which foods cause the pain in your back to see what's affecting you the most. Fingers crossed the h.pylori has gone.

Taz x  :hug:

monalisa

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 07:05:12 AM »

Hi Taz
Thank you for your information in the reply
I missed out in my post that I am taking nexium along with my medication so that is the ppi

Can I ask what symptoms do you experience with your hh?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 08:59:35 AM »

Morning.  I doubt whether HRT patches would affect the digestive system, was anything said to make that suggestion whilst you underwent examinations.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which includes the risk of hiatus hernia, common in peri-menopause.  Your treatment regime should get rid of the H/pylori now that it's been diganosed.

:foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 09:53:37 AM »

If my medication dose is right then I don't suffer any symptoms from my hh. Sometimes I begin to develop the lump in the throat feeling again and my GP changes me from omeprazole to esomaprazole (Nexium) for a month which sorts it. Without medication I have heartburn, night time reflux leading to vomiting and ulceration of the oesophagus.

Taz x  :hug: