Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 2 Periods a month  (Read 2049 times)

DS68

2 Periods a month
« on: September 09, 2022, 11:14:32 PM »

Hi alli wondered if someone could help. I've been on HRT for around 3 1/2 years. Same dose more or less. 2-3 pumps or gel and ustrogen 1 tablet daily continuous.  I have felt ok and although I've never gone back to my old self I've accepted the new me. I'm now 53 but having periods same as always 😔 and the past 3 months I've had two periods a month each a week long. I'm just wondering if this is common? Is there anything I could or need to do. Any ideas as to what may be the reason. It's draining to have 2 periods every month feel tired a lot.
Thanks in advance for any help/guidance. I appreciate it. X

sheila99

Re: 2 Periods a month
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:21:28 AM »

Is there a reason you're on a conti regime if you're still having periods? How have you had 2 periods a month for? What was happening before that?

DS68

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 11:27:58 AM »

Hi Sheila

Thank you for responding, I used to take the Ustrogen for 12 days but felt awful, then someone on this site posted it's ok to to take 1 continually which I have been doing for 2 years.  My periods have always been ok and monthly. The hrt was prescribed for all the other symptoms and helped greatly. The 2 periods a month has now been for 2 months. This month being the third. To be honest I found everything confusing so just carried on.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 11:55:43 AM »

It does get very confusing  Did your GP say it was ok to do that as you were not definitely post meno?

Taz x

Floo36

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 12:53:30 PM »

I sometimes get two a month then sometimes none then maybe 6 weeks apart, very irregular then like clockwork again, it happens in peri.  I also take utrogestan every night as directed by the meno clinic, I think it’s safe to do either. 

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »

I would strongly advise you to see your gp, tell her what you've done and ask for a scan to check the thickness of the lining (assume you know a thickened lining is a cancer risk?). As with any forum there are some very knowledgeable people and some less so and really anything off piste should be with medical supervision. A conti regime is normally only prescribed for someone who is meno (1 year without a bleed) where the only oestrogen (which builds up the lining) they have is the controlled dose by hrt. When you're peri your own oestrogen may be produced in very much higher amounts and without the monthly bleed the amount of progesterone in hrt may be insufficient to keep the lining thin.
Of course your own cycle does go haywire in peri and I hope this is the cause but imo it's a risk that isn't worth taking.
I have found 200mg utro much easier to tolerate now I'm almost meno because my own production of progesterone is less, perhaps you will find it better too now. Have you tried it vaginally as that can make a difference too?

DS68

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 11:33:45 PM »

Thank you and yes planning a call on Monday for an appointment. Sorry to sound stupid but does conti regime mean continuous? As in continually taking the Ustrogen and gel - as I am?

And the alternative for peri is ?

Thank you Sheila99 x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 07:33:22 AM »

Yes conti means continuous. The alternative is sequential where you take progesterone for two weeks of each month. When you stop the progesterone you should have what's called a 'withdrawal bleed' to thin your endometrium. If you are on HRT while still peri most GPs think that the age of 53/54 is safe to swap to a conti regime. Before this age, if on a conti regime, it is wise to have regular scans just to check the lining is ok.

Taz x

DS68

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 08:05:01 AM »

Brilliant, that makes complete sense to me thank you. Just found it all a bit baffling and during covid I just did what I thought was best as felt guilty asking GP during an NHS crisis.

Will get an appointment this week and just clarify with the doc and maybe ask for a scan.

Thanks again x

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 10:57:52 AM »

Let us know how you get on

Taz x  :)

DS68

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 09:45:02 PM »

Hi Taz

Have appt on Monday with gynocology but I have another period, I'm not sure whether they would still see me ! Any idea?

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 11:37:33 PM »

A period doesn't affect any scans that need to be taken. It sounds gross but they are used to carrying them out during bleeding so please still keep your appointment.

Taz x

DS68

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 09:46:02 PM »

Yes I will do thanks. Just so awful for the doctor 😔

Will let you know x