Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Perimenopausal hip pain / lower back pain  (Read 5072 times)

Cravenraven

Perimenopausal hip pain / lower back pain
« on: September 06, 2022, 05:02:00 PM »

Hi there,
 :)

I think I have been perimenopausal for the past two years.  I'm 43, but all the females in my family have had early menopause.  Symptoms over past two years have been periods becoming less frequent and also much much lighter.  Which has been great ! as they used to be very heavy. 

However I have also suffered every day from back pain and hip pain.  The pain seems to move around so it's not always the same place but it hurts every day in my pelvic lumbar region.  I've had pelvic scans and everything looks normal (although they said ovaries already look post menopausal).  I do a lot of exercise, as part of my job, and I'm aware it exacerbates the pain but I love what I do and I don't particularly want to change career!  And even when I stop for a holiday, it still feels stiff and uncomfortable anyway. 

I've not wanted to go on HRT as I don't fancy having a monthly bleed again.  Does anyone have any advice or just something to give me as a light at the end of the tunnel.  Or is this it now, am I just going to suffer from a painful back/hips forever  :-\

Thanks so much, I do love these forums, it's so nice that you are all here. ;D

Cravenraven

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 05:06:29 PM by Cravenraven »

Flossieteacake

Re: Perimenopausal hip pain / lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 05:07:01 PM »

Hello Cravenraven. Welcome to the forum. I sympathise as pelvic pain is very painful. I can understand you not wanting monthly bleeds but not all HRT causes this. For example the Mirena coil stops any bleeding. Maybe a chat with your GP would help? If they are unable to help then you can ask to be referred to a menopause clinic.

One benefit of HRT is it can help to protect the bones so I can see why you have been thinking of it.

arc73

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »

Oddly enough we were just talking about this in the office today, three of us going through menopause, all with hip issues especially on waking. I'm fine within about 20 minutes of getting up and moving around, but I struggle to roll over when I wake up. 4am trip to the loo, no pain, alarm goes off at 6am, crippled!

I don't have any advice or anything I'm afraid, should probably get myself to the GP if it continues. But wanted you to know you aren't alone

Cravenraven

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 05:37:47 PM »

Thanks Flossieteacake

I actually tried to Mirena about 5 years ago to help with heavy periods and that was the first time I suffered from backache so I came off it.  Although the doctor said that the coil doesn't cause backache, but that was my experience, it was like a period backpain

Cravenraven

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »

Thanks Arc73

It does help to know thank you for saying  :) ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 05:40:54 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  I thought that I had sciatica but turns out to be a bursisitis which gives radiating pain down one leg in the early hours.

Also: several years ago I would be woken by intense deep pain in the thigh, too painful even to scream out.  I tracked it down to the fact that I bend over cabinets at antique fairs so have had to alter my stance when looking at jewellery. 

Minicat

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 08:40:56 PM »

I also went through perimenopause and struggled with similar symptoms like back and hip pain. What helped me was seeking guidance from a physiotherapist from roar physio and wellness sherwood park, specializing in women's health.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 08:12:01 AM by Minicat »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 07:45:27 AM »

Tnx Minicat.