Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trying to make a GP appointment  (Read 2718 times)

Haydo

Trying to make a GP appointment
« on: August 23, 2022, 04:03:54 PM »

So, I have tried to make an appointment with a doctor (any doctor no-one specific) today to be told that there are only telephone appointments and that there are none available for a month!  I was told to ring tomorrow to see if I could have one of the telephone appointments, which will be released tomorrow, for a month’s time, and if I don’t get through I will just have to keep trying at 8 am every day when appointments are released.  This is getting ridiculous.   Are others having the same problems?   No wonder people are going to A & E. 

Cazikins

Re: Trying to make a GP appointment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:08:04 PM »

It's pretty much the same her (south east). If I need an appt that day I have to phone in at 8.30 when the lines open & hopefully get one.
The only thing I could suggest is seeing if your surgery has an email consultation service, I used it for the first time yesterday at midday & the doctor saw it at 9am this morning to acknowledge it.
Just have to keep on trying I guess - it's not brilliant I know but it's the same every where. x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 04:11:05 PM »

That is really frustrating Haydo. My GP practice does not like people calling for appointments and says to fill out an online form. I find that less stressful then having to call.

Haydo

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 04:13:54 PM »

We don’t have an email consultation service or on-line appointment service, and trying to get a receptionist to pass a message on just for a yes or no answer from a GP (which I’ve  attempted in the past) is like trying to get past Attila the Hun!  I’ll be on the phone at 8 am tomorrow.

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 04:16:47 PM »

I’ve written to my Gp before and that’s always worked the couple of times I’ve done it.
A handwritten letter always seems to focus their minds as it’s on record.
Is there another surgery close by that might be better? X

Haydo

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 04:21:50 PM »

I’ve looked at the reviews of the other Surgery and I think that’s as bad.  The thing is, once you get to speak to or see a doctor they are actually quite a good surgery.  I think I’ll try a letter if I don’t get any joy tomorrow.  Just needed to vent! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 05:11:39 PM »

It shouldn't be like this.  The public are being told not to attend A&E but getting to see a GP is like finding hens' teeth in many places.

I have sent an e-mail in the past, the Surgery is better in that 1 can call in and request a phone call: from a receptionist or practice nurse who will decide whether to send the patient for an X-ray for example or to get the GP/Pharmacist to ring.  Who can then decide.

I think going to a Vet would be quicker!  ::)

When very ill I went and sat in the GP Surgery until I was seen . 

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 06:22:02 PM »

We don’t have an email consultation service or on-line appointment service, and trying to get a receptionist to pass a message on just for a yes or no answer from a GP (which I’ve  attempted in the past) is like trying to get past Attila the Hun!  I’ll be on the phone at 8 am tomorrow.
My practice doesn't take emails but virtually everyone has to compete complete a detailed econsult form even if we have already done so for the same condition/symptoms.
I have had an ongoing ear infection  with loss of hearing on 1 side for 2 months. I have already exhausted what the GP can prescribe. Twice I have been sent to queue at A & E. Last Tuesday I waited 3 hours and was told that I would be next to see the ENT doctor. Then suddenly they were too busy. I was sent home  with a promise that I would have an appointment this week. Had heard nothing by yesterday so rang the appointments number. They had nothing booked even though my GP had been told that I would. Now have to wait for a GP call on thursday.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 06:46:09 PM »

My practice doesn't take emails but virtually everyone has to compete complete a detailed econsult form even if we have already done so for the same condition/symptoms.
I have had an ongoing ear infection  with loss of hearing on 1 side for 2 months. I have already exhausted what the GP can prescribe. Twice I have been sent to queue at A & E. Last Tuesday I waited 3 hours and was told that I would be next to see the ENT doctor. Then suddenly they were too busy. I was sent home  with a promise that I would have an appointment this week. Had heard nothing by yesterday so rang the appointments number. They had nothing booked even though my GP had been told that I would. Now have to wait for a GP call on thursday.
That is awful! I really am sorry you have to go through this. I know how painful ear infections are. I hope the GP is helpful on Thursday.

Haydo

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 06:48:33 PM »

What an absolute nightmare Katejo.  The trouble is we all, at some time or another, have these problems and illnesses which are not classed as urgent, but are still extremely debilitating and need to be sorted out.  I hope you get some progression with things following your GP call on Thursday. 

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 07:07:44 PM »

We have the E-Consult system and find it so efficient. So easy to write down your symptoms and easy to order medication and if necessary see one of the doctors. It was always on the cards that the E-Consult system would happen but the pandemic brought it all forward.

I’ve used it a few times and think its brilliant. I needed a review of my medication and phoned the surgery, a recorded message told me I was in a queue of nine people, no way was I going to hang around waiting, I filled in the online form, my medication was sorted, no hassle!

Haydo, I hope your surgery goes down this route, it makes life a whole lot easier.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:31:30 PM by Ayesha »

Marchlove

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 07:55:52 PM »

For some yes.

But for many of us, it’s just another step along a digital pathway, devoid of human contact, that’s slips us even further into disconnect.

Songbird

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 07:59:19 PM »

I have to say, I'm really happy with our surgery. We have an "askmygp" system where, as long as you log in to your account early in the morning, you will definitely get attention "on the day" - whether it's a face to face , video call or phone call will be up to the GP. It's a good system. I've always been seen immediately (if needed). We also have a GP who has a particular interest in menopause -
I consider myself to be pretty lucky  ::)

C.C.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »

Sounds like my dr's office.  It's a crapshoot to get through to a receptionist, either the line is busy or you are waiting in sequence, no matter what day or time of day.  Mondays seem to be the worst.  Sometimes it can be more than a 10-minute wait.  But,  when you finally do get through, getting an in-person or phone appointment isn't a problem, and the ladies are so accommodating to your needs. My dr offers same-day appointments too if you call early enough.

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 09:34:39 PM »

But for many of us, it’s just another step along a digital pathway, devoid of human contact, that’s slips us even further into disconnect.

That is definitely true, the changes are so fast moving it’s hard to keep up. My husband had a medication review and needed to have a blood pressure test, he was asked to go to our local pharmacy where they did the test and sent the results digitally to the surgery.

Pages: [1] 2