Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78

Author Topic: Re: How are you today?  (Read 130110 times)

Penguin

Re: How are you today?
« Reply #795 on: October 24, 2023, 11:33:53 AM »

Enjoy your beach walks Katherine,I'd do anything to walk along my dearly missed Aberdeen beach,don't let these people get you down girl,not everyone loves dogs but even if you do,you don't want them slobbering over you or dirtying your clothes  >:(

Ooh did you live in Aberdeen, Jaypo? Is that where you are from? My dad was from there, Peterhead. I love Aberdeen xxx
Yes I did penguin,for over 40 years,your dad wasn't a fisherman was he? Lol good old Peterhead. I moved to Wiltshire and stayed there for 12 years,now back in Scotland,Lanarkshire but miss Aberdeen terribly  :'(
Oh yes Katherine,we are totally amazing  ;D ;D

No, he was a postman but as a child he went to a military boarding school in Dunblane with his brothers because his dad was an engineer in the Gordon Highlanders. When we visit we always go back to the fish and chip shop he used to be sent to by his mum on a Friday evening. Did I mention already that I love Aberdeen 🤣❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #796 on: October 24, 2023, 12:59:17 PM »

Mouth is very very sore  :-X

Penguin

« Reply #797 on: October 24, 2023, 01:03:43 PM »

Did they say anything about the reflux?

CLKD

« Reply #798 on: October 24, 2023, 01:51:42 PM »

Earlier I saw the dentist for more deep cleaning. And advice  :-\

We discuss both reflux as well as the possibility of omeprazolol causing bone density loss  :o.  We have an appt with our GP on the 7th so will make a list of my concerns, hoping that he will agree to a bone density scan: given my age etc.

Penguin

« Reply #799 on: October 24, 2023, 02:56:02 PM »

Earlier I saw the dentist for more deep cleaning. And advice  :-\

We discuss both reflux as well as the possibility of omeprazolol causing bone density loss  :o.  We have an appt with our GP on the 7th so will make a list of my concerns, hoping that he will agree to a bone density scan: given my age etc.

That is a good idea. Assume if your bones are okay then you won't need to stop the ppi. Although I think there is something else that has been mentioned on the forum that you can take for bone density, but understand you may not wish to add another medication into the mix. There are also some nutrients that omeprazole and other ppi can deplete,  magnesium is one of them, so may be worth asking them to check levels at same time?

CLKD

« Reply #800 on: October 24, 2023, 03:13:47 PM »

Tnx.  Not told about any of these potential health issues  >:(  by the GP. 

Autumnwalks

« Reply #801 on: October 24, 2023, 04:01:20 PM »

Tnx.  Not told about any of these potential health issues  >:(  by the GP.  ote]
In my experience they almost never mention potential health issues. They'll only be concerning themselves on alleviating the symptom you're presenting with. There's usually a huge list of contraindications for most medicines. I'm on a large amount of drugs myself and also suffer awful reflux almost 24/7. My tongue and throat are burnt from it and all I taste is acid all day. Omeprazole does practically nothing for me unfortunately. Almost all the drugs I take cause me to have bowel problems and I have diarrhoea at least three or four days a week, getting me up at night too. As far as the GP is concerned though, he's treated me for the original symptom I presented with and then maybe somewhere down the road he may give me other drugs to treat the side effects I now have. My pharmacy friend says they only look at one thing and wouldn't be looking for anything else. She pointed this out to me when my mum was admitted to hospital and later died. She was being treated for one thing and no one looked at the possibility of urinary tract infection. My friend said that they simply wouldn't have been looking for that.
Sorry, this bit is mine, not a quote! Not sure how to do this yet! ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 04:32:24 PM by Autumnwalks »

Katherine

« Reply #802 on: October 24, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »

Tnx.  Not told about any of these potential health issues  >:(  by the GP.  ote]
In my experience they almost never mention potential health issues. They'll only be concerning themselves on alleviating the symptom you're presenting with. There's usually a huge list of contraindications for most medicines. I'm on a large amount of drugs myself and also suffer awful reflux almost 24/7. My tongue and throat are burnt from it and all I taste is acid all day. Omeprazole does practically nothing for me unfortunately. Almost all the drugs I take cause me to have bowel problems and I have diarrhoea at least three or four days a week, getting me up at night too. As far as the GP is concerned though, he's treated me for the original symptom I presented with and then maybe somewhere down the road he may give me other drugs to treat the side effects I now have. My pharmacy friend says they only look at one thing and wouldn't be looking for anything else. She pointed this out to me when my mum was admitted to hospital and later died. She was being treated for one thing and no one looked at the possibility of urinary tract infection. My friend said that they simply wouldn't have been looking for that.

This is something that has bugged me about the Nhs for a long time. They should tell you about potential irreversible and indeed reversible side effects and treat you as a whole. In other words take a long term approach, which would mean people not having to go back time and time again and waiting lists might get shorter and costs lower! The trouble is if you look into functional medicine, naturopaths, etc, that have a holistic approach they are unaffordable for most people. Sometimes you will be lucky and get a very good gp who will look at the whole and warn you of side effects but it's not common in my experience. I guess they just have to do what they can with the time and the resources they have though. That said, I know for a fact there is plenty of inefficiency and wastage in the Nhs. But even if you go private it doesn't guarantee good care. I find it depends on the quality of the person you see.

By the way I am feeling almost back to normal now before the beach incident, and you ladies on here that supported me are one of the main reasons for that so thanks again xxx
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 04:22:07 PM by Katherine »

Autumnwalks

« Reply #803 on: October 24, 2023, 04:44:06 PM »

Glad you feel better Katherine. I've seen on various sites where it's mentioned that doctors don't discuss possible alternatives like herbs, vitamins etc but of course they're not proven medications and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if someone took them on advice and had a bad reaction. You have to throw yourself into it whole heartedly and as you say, it's expensive.
A few years back I had bone injections after a cancer as I was told it would help strengthen and avoid osteoporosis etc. What I wasn't told was the risk to teeth and I now can't have any extractions, false teeth etc due to the very real risk of necrosis of the jaw. It stays in the system for around ten years. With the poor state of my teeth I would never have had them if I'd known, I'd have taken my chances.

Katherine

« Reply #804 on: October 24, 2023, 05:00:15 PM »

Autumn walks that awful, they should have told you. I think there should be a legal obligation to tell people. I remember when I went on the contraceptive pill in my twenties, I felt horrendous, like a hungover feeling, migraines, my body shape changed quickly and I developed loads of stretch marks. My body shape or the marks never went back - so they really should've told me something so significant. Luckily I got used to the body shape and stretch marks and I don't really think about it now but for a while it upset me. I was told it was indirectly caused by increased appetite but my actual body shape changed - I got hips, etc, and fat on my lower back area and it never went back even with weight loss.

I did used to have a gp that was into alternative therapies and he prescribed homeopathy and seaweed treatments believe it or not. I think again it depends on who you get. I really wish they could prescribe magnesium as it would really help everyone relax and sleep better and many people are unaware.

So when 10 years has passed will your teeth and jaw be ok?

Autumnwalks

« Reply #805 on: October 24, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »

Thanks Katherine. Well, I'm on blood thinners for ever now so would be risky. I've got many serious health problems and really I'll think myself lucky if I live another three years. Thanks for asking though. X

Taz2

« Reply #806 on: October 24, 2023, 05:37:21 PM »

I think that we all have a certain amount of responsibility to find out things for ourselves and this is where the patient information leaflet often comes in. I think you are on Omeprazole CLKD as I can't find Omeprazolol. I'm on 20mg of Omeprazole and the leaflet does warn of what can happen if you are prescribed it for longer than a year. I have been on it for four years and have to jog my doctors memory so that he offers a blood test once a year. The leaflet states "If you take Omeprazole on a long term basis (longer than one year) your doctor will probably keep you under regular surveillance. Taking a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole especially over a period of more than one year may slightly increase your risk of fracture in the hip, wrist or spine." It also says "If you are on Omeprazole for more than three months it is possible that the levels of magnesium in your blood may fall" followed by what to watch out for. I can't find any mention of interaction between omeprazole and erythromycin though which I think you were mentioning before.

I know the leaflets are long and take a while to wade through but they do contain a lot of information and I feel it is always wise to check what we are given. Mistakes shouldn't happen but sadly they do and this is one way of double checking that what we have been given isn't going to do us harm.

Sorry about your sore mouth by the way. It can be a miserable thing to cope with.

Taz x

Katherine

« Reply #807 on: October 24, 2023, 05:38:11 PM »

Thanks Katherine. Well, I'm on blood thinners for ever now so would be risky. I've got many serious health problems and really I'll think myself lucky if I live another three years. Thanks for asking though. X

I'm really sorry to hear that, I didn't know that. Are you able to do things you enjoy and have treats and things?xxx

Katherine

« Reply #808 on: October 24, 2023, 05:41:05 PM »

I think that we all have a certain amount of responsibility to find out things for ourselves and this is where the patient information leaflet often comes in. I think you are on Omeprazole CLKD as I can't find Omeprazolol. I'm on 20mg of Omeprazole and the leaflet does warn of what can happen if you are prescribed it for longer than a year. I have been on it for four years and have to jog my doctors memory so that he offers a blood test once a year. The leaflet states "If you take Omeprazole on a long term basis (longer than one year) your doctor will probably keep you under regular surveillance. Taking a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole especially over a period of more than one year may slightly increase your risk of fracture in the hip, wrist or spine." It also says "If you are on Omeprazole for more than three months it is possible that the levels of magnesium in your blood may fall" followed by what to watch out for. I can't find any mention of interaction between omeprazole and erythromycin though which I think you were mentioning before.

I know the leaflets are long and take a while to wade through but they do contain a lot of information and I feel it is always wise to check what we are given. Mistakes shouldn't happen but sadly they do and this is one way of double checking that what we have been given isn't going to do us harm.

Sorry about your sore mouth by the way. It can be a miserable thing to cope with.

Taz x

I agree Taz about reading the leaflets but sometimes certain very significant side effect aren't mentioned in them, like I experienced with the contraceptive pill.

Autumnwalks

« Reply #809 on: October 24, 2023, 05:50:45 PM »

Thank you Katherine. I don't get pleasure from eating now but can still enjoy family and friends. I'm not very mobile but still enjoy the odd day out and then there's books, TV, music etc. When I have a good day I try to make the most of it  :)
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78