Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menopause Medication Advice needed please  (Read 1009 times)

sbunn12

• First Flush
Menopause Medication Advice needed please
« on: July 16, 2022, 06:36:52 AM »

Hi I’m new on here and just finding my feet!

I’m in the early stages of menopause and would be very grateful for any advice on the medications I have been offered, HRT is a possibility but I had a blood clot on the brain causing a stroke 17 years ago, I have also been offered gabapentin or clonodine.

Also has anyone had any experience of CBT for menopause symptoms?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:14:45 AM by sbunn12 »

Cassie

Re: Menopause Medication
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 07:15:57 AM »

I cant see how they would help you need HRT. Try the bio identical ones like the rub on gel or patch and then something like utrogestan if you still have a uterus. Not sure how old you are but they really do work well and are considered "safer" than the  HRT of years gone by.

sheila99

Re: Menopause Medication Advice needed please
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 09:45:35 AM »

Transdermal hrt doesn't carry a greater risk of blood clots so you could ask for a patch, gel or spray. The best way of curing oestrogen deficiency is to add oestrogen. If you have high blood pressure it needs to be controlled first. How troublesome are your symptoms?

sbunn12

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »

Thanks for your replies 😀

The gabapentin and colonodine would help with the night sweats and hot flushes, but non of the other symptoms. I had an hysterectomy in 2014 but still have my ovaries.

I wasn’t aware that transdermal hrt doesn’t carry the risk of blood clots, so thanks that’s very useful information.
My symptoms are driving me mad, I was convinced I was starting with dementia until I was told it was the menopause! 

ATB

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 10:44:42 AM »

Others have given you correct info re transdermal HRT which you can try without worrying about clots. Regarding CBT, yes having that now and find it helps a lot as I’ve had anxiety a long time and took years before I was given HRT. I’m completely different and almost like my old self now with a combination of therapy, HRT and changes in my lifestyle. Best of luck with everything

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 01:42:28 PM »

Gabapentin is an anti-depressant?

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 02:09:36 PM »

You're in a good position as far as hrt goes. You have no womb so so need for progesterone which is the part that causes problems. Good luck!

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »

Gabapentin is an anti-depressant?

It's an anti seizure medication which works well on nerve pain. It's also used for controlling menopausal hot flushes.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 05:39:54 PM »

And in the US they seem to prescribe it for dogs with bone cancer. I don't think I'd use it for hot flushes, seems like a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

sbunn12

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 09:06:24 PM »

Thank you very much everyone xx