Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Parethesia  (Read 1028 times)

bella1973

• First Flush
Parethesia
« on: July 12, 2022, 06:48:14 PM »

Hi

Im 50, post meno and been on sandrena gel 1 mg and utrogestan 100 daily for 4 months now. The parethesia started last year and had hoped it was down to menopause and nothing else sinister. The hot flushes, night sweats and mood swings have really settled down well but not the tingling and numbness from my face to my toes.

Could this be too much sandrena or not enough. The gel is really hard to get hold of so can't really afford to be experimenting with 0.5 or 1.5 but just wondering which would be best to try.

thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Parethesia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 08:37:18 PM »

hi! has this been diagnosed?  Is it down 1 side of your body or does it fluctuate?  Any problems during your menstruating years?

This could be caused by a nerve in the neck which can radiate problems all the way down.  Is the pins and needles continuous?

bella1973

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »

hi! has this been diagnosed?  Is it down 1 side of your body or does it fluctuate?  Any problems during your menstruating years?

This could be caused by a nerve in the neck which can radiate problems all the way down.  Is the pins and needles continuous?

Hi clkd.

Last July I started feeling really unwell over night (had hot flushes on and off for a few years) but never that troublesome.

I had numbness in my left forearm and left leg, balance issues, no appetite and internal vibrations, basically felt like I was being poisoned. Within a few days my right side was the same, no fluctuations. Over the next 2 weeks the tingling went to my lips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, pretty much everywhere bar my forehead tbh

The gp did blood tests and they were all fine, so she ordered hormone tests. My fsh level was 89.9 U/L and lh level was 64.0 U/L.

I had been using depo provera for 15 years and had stopped having the injection about 14 months before these tests and had never had a period since.

She said it was menopause and gave me sandrena 0.5mg and utrogestan 100mg daily for 4 weeks and then said increase the sandrena to 1mg after 4 weeks, which I did.

Most of my symptoms have settled down but not all this tingling and numbness.

The first month - no change
month 2 - tingling much improved but worse days 6 - 12 of cycle (not that I have a cycle but just how i track it)
month 3 - same again
month 4 - same again
month 5 - tingling days 6-12 as usual but then started again day 20 and just hasn't gone away this time. Feels like im wearing gloves and socks when im not and feet are really cold.

So I just don't know if its too much oestrogen, not enough, or something else.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 02:58:00 PM »

I would suggest a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic as well as your GP sending you to a neurologist. 

Has your GP arranged for a cervical and lumbar spine MRI? 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »

Usually though not always the dose that controls flushes will control other symptoms too they can take longer to go. If you want to tweak the hrt I would trial a higher dose but read up on symptoms of too much oestrogen too. I wouldn't be so certain your symptoms are meno related and would go down the neurologist route too.