Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Second Menopause  (Read 715 times)

Ayesha

Second Menopause
« on: July 11, 2022, 03:43:49 PM »

I have been browsing for a long time reading all the amazing posts and all the helpful, educational and informative replies!
I am 72 and got through the first phase of menopause very well, taking HRT in my fifties for about five years on and off, really my menopause was a breeze! I now feel that the second phase of the menopause has kicked in with a vengeance, Vaginal Atrophy and awful aching muscles and hot flushes, at my age!!!

I am taking treatment for the VA and after months it has completely cleared up, but I know I am on it for life.
Now I need to sort out my aching back muscles, but I suppose age is a thing here, I am a work in progress and have to decide what my next step is!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Second Menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »

Morning.  U R very welcome!

Low oestrogen can cause muscles to become lax = aches and pains.  How is your diet overall, do you exercise regularly - brisk walking every day can help stave off osteoporosis for example.  Have U tried pain relief when necessary?

Some find that yoga or pilates helps.  Also swimming is good as it is non weight bearing but does stretch muscles, me though: I HATE public changing rooms  ;D

The important thing is to keep an eye on posture, I notice that the old woman looking back from a shop window is bent over and not only that, she is ME  :D

Ask away.  Nowt is OTT.   :welcomemm:

Ayesha

Re: Second Menopause
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 02:31:04 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, CLKD

My diet is very good and I am very active and in the days when I was on HRT the sooner you came of it the better for consultants, they didn't like women being on it but everything is so much different now!
I had an x-ray which showed signs of osteopenia, whether that is making my back muscles ache more I don't know, but should be having a bone density scan soon. I take paracetamol and Ibruprofen gel for the pain.

Tried pilates as instructed by hospital physiotherapist but it brought on too many flare ups and I gave up.

I have excellent posture and I keep referring to my back, dull ache pain, as a repetitive strain injury because of my photography, but as I said I am a work in progress :)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:33:35 PM by Ayesha »