Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 2 week low histamine diet trial - keeping me accountable!!  (Read 4599 times)

joziel

Re: 2 week low histamine diet trial - keeping me accountable!!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 07:18:45 PM »

Thanks but it's not the caffeine that's the problem, it's other stuff in the coffee and tea which either block histamine (tea) or contain it (coffee).

I am actually tolerating the Rooibus stuff better than I remember it, so we'll see how that goes...

Marchlove

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 07:57:12 PM »

Drink tea then!

Caffeine can raise  cortisol, so it’s not just a histamine issue x

joziel

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 07:38:33 AM »

Black tea blocks DAO which is the enzyme that gets rid of histamine. It’s worse than coffee which I hope I’ll be able to tolerate eventually.

Last night was no better than any other recent night. Maybe it’s too early to see an effect yet…

joziel

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2022, 04:57:32 PM »

Day 2

I am getting better at making something edible without yoghurt for breakfast. I've found an article online where someone successfully used probiotic supplements for histamine intolerance (ie probiotics which don't increase histamine) to make their own yoghurt. Hmmm... I will for sure try that if I end up needing low histamine long term.

Besides that, my lunch consisted of an entire pack of watercress liberally dosed with olive oil and a considerable amount of cottage cheese.  :-X

I have made some good granola though, involving oats, pumpkin seeds, maple syrup and coconut oil. Apples and carrots are my main snack foods...

Feeling a bit more positive about eating this way now.

Kathleen

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

Hello joziel

You are certainly having to be imaginative with your new diet!  Is green tea a problem I wonder as it supposedly has many health benefits. Perhaps there are cookery books that include recipes for a low histamine diet, a flick through amazon may be worth a shot.

Good luck with your experiment and I will be following  your progress.

Take care.

K.

joziel

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2022, 08:58:30 PM »

Green tea is definitely a no (sadly).

It comes down to - peppermint tea, Rooibus tea, or a babycino(!) - frothy milk with no coffee.  ;D

I've got one cookery book already which gave me a couple of good granola recipe ideas. If I have to do this long-term, I'll for sure be checking out more. But as it's only 2 weeks I can probably get by. Meanwhile my husband is grilling chicken and making turkey mince 'Larb' and there are containers of delicious leftovers I have to resist every time I open the fridge  ::)

ElkWarning

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »

I'm reading this with interest.

I also hate Rooibus, but have somehow slightly grown more accustomed to it in my old age.  It's a good carrier for mint (fresh, can't stand peppermint tea either).

Vicky81

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 08:18:24 AM »

Hi elk not sure if you've seen...but I've sent yiu a private message hun xxx

joziel

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »

Day 3

Last night I had very very minimal throbbing happening, probably the least yet. I thought that was really promising.

However, I did still wake up early. Like, really early - but this could be because I was hot, seeing we're in a heatwave and all. And then this annoying fly kept landing on my head. So I hid under the duvet. Then I got hot again because I had a duvet up to my ears to hide from the fly.

Sigh.

joziel

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2022, 03:43:01 AM »

Day 4

Still throbbing slightly shortly after going to bed but also a night of complete insomnia. I managed to doze lightly and dream a bit but what seems to be lacking is deep restful sleep. I don’t actually know if I’ve had much of that since starting HRT due to these issues.

So far I’m pretty sure that histamine is causing this but reducing what I consume of it isn’t really helping. Probably because it’s about estrogen causing mast cells to release histamine. Which is a separate process to the gut and histamine…

But I’ll continue….

ElkWarning

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2022, 05:52:51 AM »

Hi elk not sure if you've seen...but I've sent yiu a private message hun xxx

Hiya, sorry, I hadn't noticed. I don't do DMs, except (historically) with one person, because I'm worried I won't keep up with them.

ElkWarning

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2022, 06:04:47 AM »

Joziel

I can see by the time stamp on your post that you were awake in three middle of the night. You say you don't know how much deep/restful you're getting ... Would a Fitbit help? I got one a couple of years ago, just a simple one, initially because of my blood pressure and pounding heartbeat. Amongst other things, it's really helped me to track my sleep patterns. For example, I've been floored since Friday (interview on Thursday, followed by negotiations, dog to vets, daughter had a mishap) and I'm just completely exhausted. It's useful for me to track my sleep patterns and heart rate at this time. So I can see I slept badly on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; but I can also see I was doing ok with relaxation. Saturday and Sunday, much better, yet still knackered. This is telling me I'll be ok today, however, I could do with a couple of early nights.

Might not be useful for you, but I really like the way my Fitbit acquires data that I can then use to reflect and / or in medical appointments.

joziel

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2022, 07:47:33 AM »

Thanks but I have an apple watch which I don’t wear in bed  ;D But I know how bad my sleep is at the mo, I don’t think a device can tell me anything I don’t know there.

It could track other stuff but I’m a little afraid to use it for that because using my Kardia device to do an ecg resulted in terrifying results which sent me to A&E - only for the eCG there to be fine.

So running my own tests isn’t going to get me anywhere. If I’m worried about my heart I have to go request referral. My GP said she is not concerned unless I have pain, breathlessness or feel faint.

I did a week long twice a day BP check only a few weeks ago and it was okay but caused a lot of anxiety on my part to do so I’m not wanting to keep checking it. But I do have weirdly raised BP at these times - not hideously high just high for me.

joziel

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2022, 01:58:10 PM »

Day 5

I am nearly halfway through. I'm seeing zero change in my night time symptoms. Last night I went to sleep easily at 11.30pm (I still always go to sleep pretty easily). I woke up about 3.30am for no understandable reason. I didn't let myself open my eyes and I made myself go back to sleep but, from then on, the sleep was light REM sleep, no more deep sleep, and I woke up pretty much every hour, realised the time and went back to sleep... Sheesh. I wasn't even feeling that throbby last night so it wasn't the throbbing that woke me up. I wake up in the way that I used to wake up at 8am - ready to get up, as if it's time to get up. Only it's 3.30am.  ::)

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, I have gotten pretty desperate. One of my favs at the moment is making frothy milk in the, er, frothy milk maker machine with a squirt of honey added and then sprinkling my low histamine granola in there. I'm not sure if it's breakfast, snack, drink or what but it's tasty...

I've also roasted up some veggies and frozen them immediately so this hopefully will fix the issue of not being able to store leftovers. Everything doesn't lend itself to freezing very well though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4